While railfanning, do you ever get weird looks from people?

duelingdragons

One time after I finish using computer at Court Sq Library, I trying to take picture of R42 (E) on Jamaica platform, but person next to me said, "YOU CAN"T TAKE PICTURE."

I also got weird look when I was videotaping eastbound 34th St bus lane from my camera.

Next time tell them to f*ck off, unless it's a cop of course.

ha.. FOAMERS!!!...

The ones who see a chick (or a guy...hey I don't judge) and look away because they want to see what kind of train is pulling into a station...

The ones that foam to death at the front window on all the trips, elbowing little kids out of the way and filming 4 hour nostalgia train movies, with them making train sounds and imitating the C/R the whole way...

The ones that refer to any NYCT car class, past or present, as "mine"...

The ones who fight over which car's brake release sounds better...

The ones that swear the (A) is doing 65 MPH in the Rockaways...

heh...sure you've all seen 'em, hopefully none of you ARE 'em otherwise I got a bone to pick... ;)

Oh man, I hadda clean coffee off my monitor!! :(:D:D

The first and only fan trip I went on was Redbirds on the B Division way back in 2002 when I was in 8th grade. Silly me thought that since I was a young kid, I would be able to stand at the window. I had to fight for that, grown men pushing me out of the way. It turned out ok though as the M/M let me sit in the cab a few times when the train stopped.

ha.. FOAMERS!!!...

The ones who see a chick (or a guy...hey I don't judge) and look away because they want to see what kind of train is pulling into a station...

The ones that foam to death at the front window on all the trips, elbowing little kids out of the way and filming 4 hour nostalgia train movies, with them making train sounds and imitating the C/R the whole way...

The ones that refer to any NYCT car class, past or present, as "mine"...

The ones who fight over which car's brake release sounds better...

The ones that swear the (A) is doing 65 MPH in the Rockaways...

heh...sure you've all seen 'em, hopefully none of you ARE 'em otherwise I got a bone to pick... :D

thank god, im not one of them.

i told r160b 8713 dat i will walk across da manny b wit my girl during sunset. he asked me: "wat happens if a siemens passes u?" nd i said: "im not gunna b distracted by dat. my priority is: my girl before da train."

I get pretty weird looks, yeah. I try to make it obvious that I'm a New Yorker (i.e. walk at 50MPH) and no tourist. I'm gonna start giving dirty looks to people who look at me funny.

ya, they certainly gave u weird looks for who u r! LMAO :cool: jk

When I was video tape on eastbound bus lane from M34 bus I was on, I got weird look and female passenger ask if he's okay to videotape and driver said, "Yes, it's completeled harmless."

One time when uptown M2 LTD was detour via Park Av, some camera-shy lady told me to STOP TAKING PICTURE, even thought I not taking picture of her.

I had a time when a tourist came up to me saying it's illegal to videotape within (MTA) property, so I claimed him wrong and asked him if he was some kind of a spokesman to tell me what to do. :) hihi

According to a cop, as long as you don't use a tripod, you're OK (monopod is OK too, apparently). Can someone else confirm that?

Me neither.

I never use flash now when I am in MTA, including the Train of Many Colors, Transit Museum, Subway, buses, Bee-Line Bus, Suffolk County Transit, CT Transit, GBTA, SEPTA, NY Waterway, NY Water Taxi, etc. well as Staten island ferry, Transport of Rockland, etc.

Flash can be distracting to train crews. A C/R checking to make sure no one's getting dragged DOES NOT need to be temporarily blinded by a flash. A T/O observing a timed signal aspect and the passengers on the platform while trying to bring his train into a station on a crowded platform DOES NOT need to be temporarily blinded by a flash. As a rider, you should want the train crews operating at 100% capability, so don't use flash :D

Throwing in my two cents for the heck of it , got a kick out of the entire thread ... I've been photographed quite a few times. I don't mind it. And only speaking for myself , but the flashes don't bother me , in fact if I see it coming and know I'm about to be photographed , I don't even blink. I know some T/O's get aggravated and I can totally understand , just speaking for myself. If a tourist or a rail fan snaps a picture of a train from the platform I don't see what the big deal is , or why anyone would give them crap about it. That being said , I would call the cops is a heartbeat if I found anyone trespassing on the tracks or unauthorized areas and taking photos. But if someone's on a platform and snaps a photo , it doesn't bother me. The only thing is , I never smile. I probably look pissed off in a lot of pics even though I'm not really ... lol

That being said , I would call the cops is a heartbeat if I found anyone trespassing on the tracks or unauthorized areas and taking photos.

Yeah really, going down there if you're not a TA employee is just dumb.

On a side note, do you know how T/Os feel in general about people photographing their trains?

Taking photos of trains usually grabs the attention of many.

The best way to get attention is to pull out a camera & start using it. The paranoids and the you cant do that's will report you or tell you that you cant' do that but you're protected by the law. :)

- A

Oh i'm overtly obvious to people can see that i'm not trying to hide my actions.

The only times i'll ever have an issue is when i go to the front vestibule for some fresh cool air on a pulled set after i put my camera away. Do they think i'm gonna climb onto the locomotive james bond style & theft the train or what?:):rolleyes::eek::cool:

- A

I dont get werid looks.

But what gets on my nerves is:

1) ppl who run on the platform to get a pic

2) ppl who fight for the rfw

3) ppl who swear the 4/5 is going 60mph between 42nd and 59 northbound(when in doubt its the constant rocking and bumps in the tracks is what makes it feel fast, i been in the cab of a 4/5 train with my cuzin countless times and its no more then 45mph)

4) the ones who screem out a R32 F

5) the ones who swear they seen a R142A signed as a 9

6) the ones who makes sounds of the trains propulsion while at the rfw

as you can see you can understand why ppl give werid looks b/c of ppl like that.

Archived