Inspectors on SBS Q44

LIRRMedford

Isn't SBS supposed to save you time?

Theoretically, proof-of-payment speeds up dwell time, but every place in the world that has done it succesfully has done it while the bus is in motion. MTA, being the MTA, has Eagle Team instead stop the bus, which I don't quite understand.

Theoretically, proof-of-payment speeds up dwell time, but every place in the world that has done it succesfully has done it while the bus is in motion. MTA, being the MTA, has Eagle Team instead stop the bus, which I don't quite understand.

Eagle Team stops are generally quick. I don't think they've added more than a minute to dwell time at any Bx12 stops.

Well last night I was heading somewhere on the Upper West Side and decided to stop for a cappuccino to wake me up.  I took the M86 a few blocks since I didn't feel like walking and it was there.  We get to Amsterdam and 86th and the driver says, "EVERYBODY GET YOUR TICKETS OUT".  One inspector got on at each door and we waited there for almost 5 minutes while they checked everyone's ticket.  Some people were clearly annoyed as they had their ticket in their wallets or purse (as this one woman did) and had to dig through to get it, but they did not leave  that bus until everyone was checked.  Everyone that was waiting to board at the stop was forced to wait outside while they checked and then they allowed them on the bus.  What amazes me is that there are still people that don't know what you have to pay BEFORE you get on the damn bus!  I took another M86 going from the Upper West Side a few hours later, and several people got on at Central Park West trying to pay at the front.  They looked at the sign and then proceeded to put their Metrocards away!  I want those people to be busted because they are too stupid to read!  

Well last night I was heading somewhere on the Upper West Side and decided to stop for a cappuccino to wake me up.  I took the M86 a few blocks since I didn't feel like walking and it was there.  We get to Amsterdam and 86th and the driver says, "EVERYBODY GET YOUR TICKETS OUT".  One inspector got on at each door and we waited there for almost 5 minutes while they checked everyone's ticket.  Some people were clearly annoyed as they had their ticket in their wallets or purse (as this one woman did) and had to dig through to get it, but they did not leave  that bus until everyone was checked.  Everyone that was waiting to board at the stop was forced to wait outside while they checked and then they allowed them on the bus.  What amazes me is that there are still people that don't know what you have to pay BEFORE you get on the damn bus!  I took another M86 going from the Upper West Side a few hours later, and several people got on at Central Park West trying to pay at the front.  They looked at the sign and then proceeded to put their Metrocards away!  I want those people to be busted because they are too stupid to read!

I can bet you that when they do their run time checks for their surveys, they make sure there are no Eagle teams on the route that day.

I also bet the Eagle teams are concentrated on the new routes. How often are routes like the Bx12 or M15 checked these days?

I can bet you that when they do their run time checks for their surveys, they make sure there are no Eagle teams on the route that day.

I also bet the Eagle teams are concentrated on the new routes. How often are routes like the Bx12 or M15 checked these days?

They've definitely been checking on some routes, though I can't say which ones for sure since I don't use the local bus that much.  I only started using the M86 recently for business purposes, otherwise I wouldn't even bother.  I have used that Bx41 bus a few times when I couldn't catch my Metro-North train from the South Bronx to Fordham and that was a line where people would just walk on.  The last time I rode it (earlier this year IIRC), I noticed everyone was getting their tickets. Must've did a big bust and carried some people off  :lol:

I took the M15 constantly last year and was checked all of 2 times in 12 months

I took the M15 constantly last year and was checked all of 2 times in 12 months

So if someone spends $100 a month in fares or $1200 a year and doesn't need another bus or train, he would only have to pay a couple of hundred in fines if he never buys a ticket. Sounds like a great deal.

Cant post the photo but they are at Queens Boulevard and Main Street stops both directions added 15 minutes to my ride, they pulled 8 people,riders plan gor extra time

If they're pulling 8 people off the bus, you should kinda expect a long dwell time. 

Do SBS buses have fareboxes?

The fare boxes should be programmed to reject cards when a bus is on an SBS route. When people hear the beep, then they pay attention. 

Yes, for in the event the bus is used on a local route to make service requirements.

Isn't the farebox also for giving people transfers?

If they're pulling 8 people off the bus, you should kinda expect a long dwell time. 

The fare boxes should be programmed to reject cards when a bus is on an SBS route. When people hear the beep, then they pay attention. 

I've seen people dip their card on the Q44, and it has worked for them before. The times I've seen it happen, they dip the card, then they realize they weren't supposed too, then they just awkwardly stare at the driver and walk away. Unless you're a tourist or something, you'd think that if you saw everyone putting their MetroCard in a machine, grabbing a ticket, and walking through the back door of the bus that it might mean something. Nope, they walk on the bus trying to dip their MetroCard and get away with a free ride, because nobody really checks the Q44 around the Flushing portion. 

Isn't the farebox also for giving people transfers?

I've seen people dip their card on the Q44, and it has worked for them before. The times I've seen it happen, they dip the card, then they realize they weren't supposed too, then they just awkwardly stare at the driver and walk away. Unless you're a tourist or something, you'd think that if you saw everyone putting their MetroCard in a machine, grabbing a ticket, and walking through the back door of the bus that it might mean something. Nope, they walk on the bus trying to dip their MetroCard and get away with a free ride, because nobody really checks the Q44 around the Flushing portion. 

I know first hand cause people dip on the Q44 all the time, some drivers don't care while others tell then not to. Usually, if the Eagle team comes, however, the B/O informs the team that someone dipped their card. and they do Check Flushing actually, however, it surprisingly has a lower fare dodging rate compared to other parts of the line. 

I know first hand cause people dip on the Q44 all the time, some drivers don't care while others tell then not to. Usually, if the Eagle team comes, however, the B/O informs the team that someone dipped their card. and they do Check Flushing actually, however, it surprisingly has a lower fare dodging rate compared to other parts of the line. 

I've only seen them like once in Flushing. I've been checked at Booth Memorial, Horace Harding, and I managed to dodge them once at 63rd Av b/c there was no room for our bus to stop. I guess I don't see them at Flushing because I usually take it around the rush hour, and they literally can't fit on the bus. (When that happens, they only check the people getting off) I also hear from a few people I know that they always get checked at Union Tpke. 

No wonder the on-paper ridership numbers are declining for the M15. Some of the smarter SBS riders have figured out that it's not worth paying.

I think the that is the same reason for the B44 decline of 8 percent the first year and that is why no report was released. Then they probably put on inspectors and ridership rose by 6 percent the second year.

I've only seen them like once in Flushing. I've been checked at Booth Memorial, Horace Harding, and I managed to dodge them once at 63rd Av b/c there was no room for our bus to stop. I guess I don't see them at Flushing because I usually take it around the rush hour, and they literally can't fit on the bus. (When that happens, they only check the people getting off) I also hear from a few people I know that they always get checked at Union Tpke. 

I only see them in Queens,

oddly enough I can ride a single stretch 100 times and never get checked for a short trip, but they day I do a long trip, I'll get checked on that same stretch. 

When I was on Q44 SBS heading to Jamaica today, one passenger dip on firebox before bus driver could tell her you have to paid outside at Queens Community College station.

You mean Queens College, Queens Community College is somewhere else.

But this happens almost every day surprisingly.

Archived