11/8/16: An Unexpected Shift in Politics

MHV9218

It seems that  since,Trump won the presidency, both Mexico and Canada have stated that they are open to renegotiation of the NAFTA treaty. How it will be done and the results  will be one of the first tests for Trump..In terms of the names being mentioned for cabinet positions already the knives are sharpened for Chris Christie (Bridgegate), Rudy Guliani (Bernie Kerik),Bob Corker (destroyed the treaty power clause of the constitution) and some other Washington insiders. What I should have added to my previous comments was who will be members of his cabinet is quite important and that will determine how he will govern..Appointing any of these three to Secretary of State or Attorney General will set off a firestorm among the Republican conservatives before he is even sworn in as president.

For those who want to forget how Donald Trump became the nominee, I would like to remind people that one of the major issues with many of these primaries is that they allow crossover voting. When there is no crossover voting allowed, the party members pick the candidate that they consider to be the best candidate, Where there is crossover voting, the candidate chosen is the weakest candidate as members of the other party want their candidate to win. This is what happened with Trump as crossover voting gave him the most votes in those states. However, the crossover voting blew up in their face this year as the perceived weakest candidate turned out to be the strongest candidate and beat their candidate.

Keep in mind that Mike Pence was added to the Republican ticket for only one purpose which was to bring the Conservatives back to the Republican fold. Conservatives were ready to sit on their hands if Trump did not make this move to get them to come out on election day. I think that many Democrats are in for a surprise as it is my feeling that Trump will govern more to the Democrats liking as compared to what the Republican Conservatives would like to see. What should not be forgotten is that Trump has donated a lot of money to Democratic candidates in New York State and in other parts of the country before he became a Republican and ran for president.

The one thing (and by one thing I mean literally one) I'm interested to see about Mr Trump is what this infrastructure plan thing will be.

I think he'll get it right.  We need massive investment here.  We must ensure that these infrastructure projects not only use American technology and savoir-faire, but also American materials. Multinational companies such as Caterpillar need to focus on manufacturing and utilizing their products here to improve our economy instead of focusing on exporting overseas.  

Hitler and Mussolini were elected and legally rose to power. Your demagogue has done the same. The system is not rigged, but the people are idiots. 

They may have been elected to power but they certainly used bullying tactics to fear people into voting for them (Mussolini with the black shirts and Hitler with the brown shirts).  People were free to vote as they wished here and did exactly that.  You may have others fooled on here, but I lived in Italy and visited Germany as well and spent quite some time analyzing architecture in various cities, so I'm well acquainted with European history.  Milan is a perfect example of a city that was built with the idea of the country being bigger than the people.  The Stazione Centrale isn't so massive just because.  It's a prime example of how the country operated when Mussolini was in power.  

I emphatically disagree with this, Lance. The notion that this racist, sexist, xenophobic pig will bring us to a place not "worse than we currently are" is, honestly, stupid. I'd hope you didn't vote for him, but that's the kind of logic that got him where he is. Where we are just is not all that bad. Obama's government has brought health care to millions, made space in our country for immigrants and refugees, helped push for greater gender and marriage equality, worked to act on climate change, and stimulated a solid recovery from Bush's recession to bring us to some historically low unemployment numbers. The Trump-peddled notion that the country is falling apart was and is an absolute myth. 

Now, to tell me that with Trump, AG Giuliani, SoS Gingrich, a climate-denier leading the EPA, a vote-suppresser and anti-immigrant leader on the transition team, Palin in the cabinet, Christie advising, and any worse combination of hateful, xenophobic a**holes leading our country that things will 'not get worse' is, again, stupid. Under attack will be women, minorities, immigrants, and anybody who doesn't fit the bill of some of Trump's most passionate endorsing groups, like the American Nazi party and the KKK. 

Furthermore, because we have a Republican Senate, a Republican House, and will be getting a Republican justice, there will be no checks and balances. And where Trump's campaign policies were an incoherent mixture of left and right, he has only surrounded himself with hard-right and alt-right politicians as his transition begins. That will mark the narrowing down of his policies into the exclusively deeply conservative hateful. 

Doom and gloom is absolutely and entirely appropriate, and only those not paying attention are arguing otherwise. This is as bad as it gets.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with this.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with this.

Please with the politically correct crappola.  I really don't buy it.  I think you claim to be liberal just to make yourself feel better.  

I emphatically disagree with this, Lance. The notion that this racist, sexist, xenophobic pig will bring us to a place not "worse than we currently are" is, honestly, stupid. I'd hope you didn't vote for him, but that's the kind of logic that got him where he is. Where we are just is not all that bad. Obama's government has brought health care to millions, made space in our country for immigrants and refugees, helped push for greater gender and marriage equality, worked to act on climate change, and stimulated a solid recovery from Bush's recession to bring us to some historically low unemployment numbers. The Trump-peddled notion that the country is falling apart was and is an absolute myth. 

Now, to tell me that with Trump, AG Giuliani, SoS Gingrich, a climate-denier leading the EPA, a vote-suppresser and anti-immigrant leader on the transition team, Palin in the cabinet, Christie advising, and any worse combination of hateful, xenophobic a**holes leading our country that things will 'not get worse' is, again, stupid. Under attack will be women, minorities, immigrants, and anybody who doesn't fit the bill of some of Trump's most passionate endorsing groups, like the American Nazi party and the KKK. 

Furthermore, because we have a Republican Senate, a Republican House, and will be getting a Republican justice, there will be no checks and balances. And where Trump's campaign policies were an incoherent mixture of left and right, he has only surrounded himself with hard-right and alt-right politicians as his transition begins. That will mark the narrowing down of his policies into the exclusively deeply conservative hateful. 

Doom and gloom is absolutely and entirely appropriate, and only those not paying attention are arguing otherwise. This is as bad as it gets.

Oh I'm sure you're going to suffer oh so much.  You are a privileged individual living in Manhattan.  It's easy to be liberal when you don't have any real worries.  How anyone can think that Obamacare has been a success is truly out of touch with reality and living in a bubble.  He brought healthcare to millions of people that can't afford the premiums, and your claims about unemployment being so low... Well yeah it is low because so many people stopped looking.  

Oh I'm sure you're going to suffer oh so much.  You are a privileged individual living in Manhattan.  It's easy to be liberal when you don't have any real worries.  How anyone can think that Obamacare has been a success is truly out of touch with reality and living in a bubble.  He brought healthcare to millions of people that can't afford the premiums, and your claims about unemployment being so low... Well yeah it is low because so many people stopped looking.  

I've got lots of privileges in my life--one is holding on to an apartment that I would never have been able to move into five, ten, or fifteen years ago thanks to real estate price changes. Sure. I also have the privilege of being straight, of being male, of a whole lot of stuff. I'm not the person who Trump will make life terrible for. That person is any combination of nonwhite, female, gay, transgender, Muslim, Jewish, non-Christian, or simply anybody who doesn't look like him. I tick some of those boxes, but not all. I'm horrified, but I'm not under personal attack in the way that our Muslim and Mexican brothers and sisters are.

It is impressive you believe the absolutely ludicrous proposition that a failed businessman who has screwed every client he's ever met will have any interest whatsoever in helping the working poor after he steps off his gold-plated jet. Your unemployment line is also stupid and suffers from the typical Republican allergy to factuality. Remember, 'factchecker' and 'truth' are not four-letter words. Unfortunately, our country forgot that.

Edited by MHV9218

I've got lots of privileges in my life--one is holding on to an apartment that I would never have been able to move into five, ten, or fifteen years ago thanks to real estate price changes. Sure. I also have the privilege of being straight, of being male, of a whole lot of stuff. I'm not the person who Trump will make life terrible for. That person is any combination of nonwhite, female, gay, transgender, Muslim, Jewish, non-Christian, or simply anybody who doesn't look like him. I tick some of those boxes, but not all. I'm horrified, but I'm not under personal attack in the way that our Muslim and Mexican brothers and sisters are.

It is impressive you believe the absolutely ludicrous proposition that a failed businessman who has screwed every client he's ever met will have any interest whatsoever in helping the working poor after he steps off his gold-plated jet. Your unemployment line is also stupid and suffers from the typical Republican allergy to factuality. Remember, 'factchecker' and 'truth' are not four-letter words. Unfortunately, our country forgot that.

1.  Good... At least you're being honest and I can respect that.

2.  The facts are in buddy... It's been known for months now that the job growth while going upwards, hasn't been nearly what it should be to have a significant impact.  There was a report out over the summer that showed that we had the worst jobs' report in 6 years... A projected 160,000 jobs for May 2016 turned out to be just 38,000 jobs. 

Source:  http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/06/03/obamas-jobs-report-worst-6-years/

3.  Face it.  The Democrats failed the people, first by over hyping Obamacare, and second by not doing a good enough job of providing not just jobs, but good paying jobs.  Wages have remained stagnant in this country, and that is with the Democrats being in office for two terms. No, I'm not that näive to believe that a businessman with no political experience can work miracles, but at the same time, it's not like Hillary would do much better.  For the record, since you think I'm such a Republican, I voted for more Democrats than Republicans the other day.  I likely would've voted for a guy like Saunders but unfortunately the rigged system appointed Hillary as the nominee.  Unlike Trump, Hillary has a track record as a politician, and while she may yell that she supports the middle class, her actions have proven otherwise, like her support for NAFTA and her paid speeches from the likes of Goldman Sachs, but she's supposedly against the big banks.  That's just something you can't overlook with a serious face and tell me that she deserved to win.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I also have the privilege of being straight, of being male, of a whole lot of stuff. I'm not the person who Trump will make life terrible for. That person is any combination of nonwhite, female, gay, transgender, Muslim, Jewish, non-Christian, or simply anybody who doesn't look like him. I tick some of those boxes, but not all. I'm horrified, but I'm not under personal attack in the way that our Muslim and Mexican brothers and sisters are.

^THIS.

I am not worried for myself. I am worried for my Muslim neighbors in my apartment building, my Muslim, Hindu, Sikh, Hispanic/Latinx, Jewish, LGBTQ friends at school, in my neighborhood and at college, and anyone else who would be an easy scapegoat.

Already in the past 48 hours, there have been at least 125 separate documented incidents (and only god knows how many have gone unreported) involving racial slurs and epithets, sexual harassment, assault, sexual assault, lewd comments towards women (including multiple incidences of men offering to 'save' women of color from Trump in exchange for sex and prostituition), theft of property and there have been at least 20 separate documented incidents of Muslims and Sikhs being assaulted for wearing (or have had forcibly removed) their hijabs and turbans, or other religious clothing items... 

^THIS.

I am not worried for myself. I am worried for my Muslim neighbors in my apartment building, my Muslim, Hindu, Sikh, Hispanic/Latinx, Jewish, LGBTQ friends at school, in my neighborhood and at college, and anyone else who would be an easy scapegoat.

Already in the past 48 hours, there have been at least 125 separate documented incidents (and only god knows how many have gone unreported) involving racial slurs and epithets, sexual harassment, assault, sexual assault, lewd comments towards women (including multiple incidences of men offering to 'save' women of color from Trump in exchange for sex and prostituition), theft of property and there have been at least 20 separate documented incidents of Muslims and Sikhs being assaulted for wearing (or have had forcibly removed) their hijabs and turbans, or other religious clothing items... 

Such exaggerations... <_< Funny how no one is talking about the numerous protests around the country by Hillary supporters that have turned violent... 

Such exaggerations... <_< Funny how no one is talking about the numerous protests around the country by Hillary supporters that have turned violent... 

It's not an exaggeration. There is an article I read somewhere, where they continually update it with police reports and first hand testimony...

Also while there are numerous protests throughout the country (which I support 100%), they are all non-violent except for a few on the West Coast started by Jill Stein supporters (of all people), and isolated incidents in other protests meant to be peaceful. Having been following the protests on Facebook and Twitter (and some of the people who organize them), I can tell you that the organizers are just as disgusted about the acts of violence and looting that have been occurring and they have been making efforts to ensure that it doesn't continue, which includes helping the police find the people responsible.

It's not an exaggeration. There is an article I read somewhere, where they continually update it with police reports and first hand testimony...

Also while there are numerous protests throughout the country (which I support 100%), they are all non-violent except for a few on the West Coast started by Jill Stein supporters (of all people), and isolated incidents in other protests meant to be peaceful. Having been following the protests on Facebook and Twitter (and some of the people who organize them), I can tell you that the organizers are just as disgusted about the acts of violence and looting that have been occurring and they have been making efforts to ensure that it doesn't continue, which includes helping the police find the people responsible.

LOL... Several of my buddies are NYPD cops and they're reporting that some of these people don't even know what they're protesting.  They just want to act out and loot and get stuff for "free".  If they were this into the election and went out and voted, perhaps we would be talking about a Clinton win.

LOL... Several of my buddies are NYPD cops and they're reporting that some of these people don't even know what they're protesting.  They just want to act out and loot and get stuff for "free".  If they were this into the election and went out and voted, perhaps we would be talking about a Clinton win.

I can say with certainty that at least 2/3rds of the protestors did vote for Hillary...

Here's what it is.. Take NYC out of the equation, in fact, LA,SF major cities overall there bubbles. Indeed I'm a bit disappointed at the younger voters they should have gotten out and voted no question and I hope they understand moving forward that they have to get out and make a statement. A Trump 4 years may be worth it for that alone . But beyond these kids there are a lot of people coming out of the woodwork showing out and that we can't tolerate!!.It's very frustrating when you hear someone say to another "Go back to your Country" I've seen this 1st hand and I'm wondering to myself does this person of Irish descent even know even he wasn't considered White 150 years go and his descendants in high probability came here in servitude. It's baffling you almost have to laugh. I'm I  A Trump fan?  I'm not going to sit here and say I am. Do I feel the markets are going to fall apart? No probably not Trump's about money 1st and foremost he's going to fall in line. I saw in the Journal yesterday he wasn't opposed to keeping some of the underpinnings Obamacare. It's always different when you're the boss trust and no plan to top that! However, does the Country feels divided absolutely!! Do I feel there's a problem with racism and misogyny absolutely!!! It just seems to me a lot of working class whites feel someone taking something from them I hear this all the time. And in order for someone to get ahead, that's a job taken or an opportunity taken from them, Now I understand earning and working for your's and you should benefit from that work. But when I hear people speak as if all/most minorities are gaming the system you have to wonder what there measurements are based on? The time after the War was an exceptionable time with unusual growth for a certain piece of the population it's never going to return in that form it's crazy to even fancy that idea. The World moves forward more opportunities arise and the most adaptive gain. Listen Trump has to be the President for all and he has to assure people that's him. Perception is reality and the perception is fear ,racism, Xenophobia all the recipes for a toxic concoction. If that's not him then he needs to come out and quell the fears because what we have here is dangerous. Everyone in this Country has their first amendment right to express him/herself  but when we start crossing that line that boundary into the physical space there's going to be a problem vandalism, attacks on people what's wrong with these morons?. VG I respect what you're saying but I feel like your method is more "If I don't see it it's not happening it's on them" and your not alone I've come along a few other with similar methods. When you a large group of people all saying something even if we don't understand we have at least submit and hear it out. Half the problems in this Country would be solved if people just started from the point of respect and submission on all sides.  my 5 cents!

You're also never going to see the post-war boom ever again because redlining, restrictive covenants and "urban renewal" projects which disproportionately affected minorities and shifted tax burdens (causing the 70's fiscal crisis) and, in turn, propped up white families living in suburbs are now illegal due to the Fair Housing Act.

Edited by Around the Horn

You're also never going to see the post-war boom ever again because redlining, restrictive covenants and "urban renewal" projects which disproportionately affected minorities and shifted tax burdens (causing the 70's fiscal crisis) and, in turn, propped up white families living in suburbs are now illegal due to the Fair Housing Act.

Indeed. After awhile you get sick of hearing the "They had 50 years to get it right it's their own fault" "No excuses!!" statements that spill from the mouths of average mediocre people that haven't fired a neuron or invested a dollar to maintain or even push their great Country forward. I guess I understand the self-preservation part in human nature but when are people going to understand that for the most part, they have more in common with the minorities there trying to keep out it would just be more powerful to join forces?. Looking the part isn't enough anymore just because you like Bill Gates doesn't actually make you him there a lot more qualified people of different genders and backgrounds in the market now. Class is and always be the defining factor in the US just give people enough and someone to look down on and walla!!! you keep them stuck and emptying their pockets for you. SMH!    

Edited by RailRunRob

Both parties have to take a long hard look at this election and take the time to understand what just happened. America was great because people believed in the American dream which many of the voters feel has been betrayed and destroyed by both parties. It is not only Trump voters but many Hillary supporters who will tell you the same thing. The common refrain I hear "is what about us, the American citizen" who should be getting the jobs but yet the so called leaders (just read the comments of the mayor and the governor) are saying the opposite. Are they concerned about Americans working that they want more immigrants here to take away jobs (both parties are guilty in this matter) that should go to Americans? Everyone talks about minorities (who I speak to almost on a daily basis), and I hear in their voices how they are fed up with the talk as where are the jobs for Americans which is what was heard in America's heartland. These are the people of both parties that put America first and even though some of them voted for Hillary, they were just as disgusted as to what the Clintons and their foundation did in selling out America and its workers.

Unless the voters start coming out in big numbers (even better than this election day), we will continue to have the tail wagging the dog which means that the elected leaders will continue to ignore what they were elected to do in the first place. This is why I believe that it is time for the state legislatures to pass "The Convention of the States" which will term limit Congress and put a reign on what is going on in Washington.(For further information look up Mark Levin who is the author of this proposal)

The look on Donald Trump's face was one of "I won it" like he was in shock just like many of his voters felt when they learned that he had won. 

Recently I read a post on Breitbart Jerusalem describing exactly as what is happening here was going on in Israel and that Israel was beginning to take steps to rein in these Non-Governmental Organizations that have been disrupting their lives. If you were to compare the way that the groups were being financed there, it the same way as groups here are being supported. What I am referring to are the ones that are promoting violence  both in Israel and the United States, not the peaceful protests. The aim of the violent protesters is to disrupt and intimidate people from coming together to resolve problems and to create the chaos where the NGO's control the narrative.What has to happen here is that Donald Trump and his supporters have to take control of the narrative from the biased media and explain that there is a difference between peaceful protest which is allowed and the NGO's tactics of violence that is designed to destroy the American way of life. .

I know that some posters will read the mention of Breitbart and dismiss what I am writing., However, I am referring to Breitbart Jerusalem only as is a very good source of balanced information about the Middle East and the world. Aaron Klein and the others that post on the site are journalists in the true sense of the word who do their jobs very well.I cannot say that about most of our media people as they have an agenda and thus should not be called "journalists" .

I know that some posters will read the mention of Breitbart and dismiss what I am writing., However, I am referring to Breitbart Jerusalem only as is a very good source of balanced information about the Middle East and the world. Aaron Klein and the others that post on the site are journalists in the true sense of the word who do their jobs very well.I cannot say that about most of our media people as they have an agenda and thus should not be called "journalists" .

Well to be fair Breitbart has lost any and all credibility due to some of the absolute nonsense they've published in the past. But I have also heard of Breitbart Jerusalem as a good source of information on the Middle East (and also a Israeli newspaper is well recognized too- I think its called Harretz)

And the "pivot" begins...

Donald Trump advisors consider Jamie Dimon for treasury secretary: Sources

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/10/donald-trump-advisors-considered-jpmorgans-jamie-dimon-for-treasury-secretary-sources.html

Donald Trump, in Exclusive Interview, Tells WSJ He Is Willing to Keep Parts of Obama Health Law

http://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trump-willing-to-keep-parts-of-health-law-1478895339

And the "pivot" begins...

Donald Trump advisors consider Jamie Dimon for treasury secretary: Sources

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/10/donald-trump-advisors-considered-jpmorgans-jamie-dimon-for-treasury-secretary-sources.html

Donald Trump, in Exclusive Interview, Tells WSJ He Is Willing to Keep Parts of Obama Health Law

http://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trump-willing-to-keep-parts-of-health-law-1478895339

Reality set's in 240 years of politics isn't going to be changed in one presidential cycle these are generational undertakings. Trump's going to work in the same overall box especially when it comes to Wall Street. He's a Billionaire from Queens that's spent most of his adult life taking risks with other people's money. The margin to play with once again will be middle-class tax. I'll change the seating and interior design for a car But I'm not going to mess with the motor. Trumps learning as he go's he's going to take it easy there. Change and revolution sound's good rolling off the tongue. But for the most part, no one's ready for that comes with that. The Uncertainty, the lack of safety, market shifts more loss your dismantling the structure that's got the US this far flawed yes but still a hella a lot better than systems in place 400-500 years ago . Everyone wants Heaven but they don't want to go through the hell to get there.  

Around the horn is correct in His comment about Breitbart which is why I wrote my comment about Breitbart Jerusalem. I scroll down the various topics on top and select what I want to read based on the subject matter. Sometimes there is an interesting story on the wires and I will read something there as well. Another good source is ynet which covers the news from Israel. .

My daily reading on the internet consists of a lot of different websites that run the complete political spectrum. I check the New York Post, New York Daily News, Toronto Star and Philly.com as well as Breitbart. The Toronto Star enables me to read a different perspective about our country and where I read about the possible change in Canadian thinking toward NAFTA. This helps me paint a picture of what is going on nationally and for local information on the internet I read Capitol confidential (Albany Times-Union), Kings County Politics and Sheepshead Bites.. What I avoid is the New York Times, Huffington Post and Yahoo News and the mainstream media on television and all of talk radio with the exception of Mark Levin and even there, I very seldom listen to the full program. Most people do not do this as they do not have the time and thus they only read or listen to certain websites that may.say they report the news but in reality, they report their opinions and their biases concerning the news. This is why Donald Trump was right about the media but wrong in the fact that he should have avoided talking to ABC, CNN and the New York Times as their reporting (as the New York Times admitted) was biased against him. Does this justify his comments on twitter (I do not want to say what my comments were on that subject) or other comments that were played up by the mainstream media (Again, I do not want to say what were my comments were on that subject either) while the Clinton deals were never discussed in the way that anything Donald Trump said was news day in and day out.

The problem is that many people who read one or two sources for news really believe the junk that masquerades as journalism these days and are determined not to give the President elect a chance to show what he can do to improve the country. There needs to be a shift back to true journalism, not what the networks or the irrelevant print media or phony internet news sites have been offering over the years. Unfortunately, I do not see this occurring as while many of us want to see unity, they want the opposite.  .

Around the horn is correct in His comment about Breitbart which is why I wrote my comment about Breitbart Jerusalem. I scroll down the various topics on top and select what I want to read based on the subject matter. Sometimes there is an interesting story on the wires and I will read something there as well. Another good source is ynet which covers the news from Israel. .

My daily reading on the internet consists of a lot of different websites that run the complete political spectrum. I check the New York Post, New York Daily News, Toronto Star and Philly.com as well as Breitbart. The Toronto Star enables me to read a different perspective about our country and where I read about the possible change in Canadian thinking toward NAFTA. This helps me paint a picture of what is going on nationally and for local information on the internet I read Capitol confidential (Albany Times-Union), Kings County Politics and Sheepshead Bites.. What I avoid is the New York Times, Huffington Post and Yahoo News and the mainstream media on television and all of talk radio with the exception of Mark Levin and even there, I very seldom listen to the full program. Most people do not do this as they do not have the time and thus they only read or listen to certain websites that may.say they report the news but in reality, they report their opinions and their biases concerning the news. This is why Donald Trump was right about the media but wrong in the fact that he should have avoided talking to ABC, CNN and the New York Times as their reporting (as the New York Times admitted) was biased against him. Does this justify his comments on twitter (I do not want to say what my comments were on that subject) or other comments that were played up by the mainstream media (Again, I do not want to say what were my comments were on that subject either) while the Clinton deals were never discussed in the way that anything Donald Trump said was news day in and day out.

The problem is that many people who read one or two sources for news really believe the junk that masquerades as journalism these days and are determined not to give the President elect a chance to show what he can do to improve the country. There needs to be a shift back to true journalism, not what the networks or the irrelevant print media or phony internet news sites have been offering over the years. Unfortunately, I do not see this occurring as while many of us want to see unity, they want the opposite. .

Media/Journalists are starting to resemble those tabloid newspapers that I used to see years ago in supermarkets like Key Food, Waldbaums, and the like. You know like the ones that say stuff like "Doomsday Satellite to Hit Earth in 1998"?