MTA Unveils Two Options For 2017 Fare Hike

Via Garibaldi 8

Actually that's only true in neighborhoods with subways.  In neighborhoods without subways, the stores are always out.  They don't seem to carry enough and never have what you need.  Real inconvenience.  Still waiting for the day when you can recharge your Metrocard online.  We also have a bus that stops in my neighborhood but I don't know the schedule and it comes at odd times when most folks likely already have a Metrocard.  It's really there for the seniors if anything.

Hell, I would be happy with just Stores having their own MVMs ... even if its just the Credit/Debit only machines for refilling. MTA would pay rent to those stores for the machines instead of the stores getting a cut of the sales of new Metrocards. 

Selling cards directly is no longer the Cash Cow for stores since the MTA has trained the public to Refill over constantly Buying New. I barely see any Metrocards laying around anywhere anymore, except for the occasional Bus Xfer or Single Ride. 

Hell, I would be happy with just Stores having their own MVMs ... even if its just the Credit/Debit only machines for refilling. MTA would pay rent to those stores for the machines instead of the stores getting a cut of the sales of new Metrocards. 

Selling cards directly is no longer the Cash Cow for stores since the MTA has trained the public to Refill over constantly Buying New. I barely see any Metrocards laying around anywhere anymore, except for the occasional Bus Xfer or Single Ride. 

Stores having their own MVMs... Now that's funny... They would need an armed guard for that.  Besides those things take up too much space anyway.  The store owners don't have much of that to begin with.  I'm sure they would want a kick back in return.  If I was a store owner looking to turn a profit, I would examine everything I have in my store and see what is selling and what isn't.  Stocking some Metrocards doesn't take much space, but an MVM would definitely require moving things around.  Interesting idea though.  In my neighborhood, I think there's only one store in all of Riverdale that sells Metrocards and over the years, they seem to stock fewer and fewer Metrocards to the point to where when I need one, I just walk to the Metro-North Spuyten Duyvil or Riverdale station, take the train and refill when I get into the city.  Even if that one store does have cards, they only take cash, so it's just easier to do what I've been doing.  I usually don't have the time nor the energy to schlepp to the bank and then walk all the way to the store, and then walk to the express bus.  Too many damn hills.  

Archived