MCI Express Buses Being Retrofitted

Via Garibaldi 8

I'm on a BxM6 bus that has USB ports right behind the reading head lights. I'm testing it out now to see how my phone charges in the 15 or so minutes I'm on this bus. For anyone interested, the Bus# is 3266 heading Northbound to Parkchester. 

Sweet! Is there WiFi as well? Does every seat have the USB port? 

Did they install anymore regular outlets as well?

Sweet! Is there WiFi as well? Does every seat have the USB port? 

Did they install anymore regular outlets as well?

I didn't check for any Wi-Fi connections since I have a ton of data left over that I didn't use last month, but if I see another bus like 3266 I'll check. As for the USB ports, there were two slots for charging I presume (one for each seat), but I think having them overhead is odd, given where they were located. If someone was sitting next to me I could see them being annoyed with my USB wire right on them. They were all located in the same spot in each row... These were round and black in appearance with a blue light where you plug in the USB cord. I wasn't impressed with the charging at all. I got on around the Upper East Side and my phone didn't charge at all even though it was in charge mode. I'm sticking with those electric outlets that I usually use on the MCIs.

I'm on a BxM6 bus that has USB ports right behind the reading head lights. I'm testing it out now to see how my phone charges in the 15 or so minutes I'm on this bus. For anyone interested, the Bus# is 3266 heading Northbound to Parkchester. 

I didn't check for any Wi-Fi connections since I have a ton of data left over that I didn't use last month, but if I see another bus like 3266 I'll check. As for the USB ports, there were two slots for charging I presume (one for each seat), but I think having them overhead is odd, given where they were located. If someone was sitting next to me I could see them being annoyed with my USB wire right on them. They were all located in the same spot in each row... These were round and black in appearance with a blue light where you plug in the USB cord. I wasn't impressed with the charging at all. I got on around the Upper East Side and my phone didn't charge at all even though it was in charge mode. I'm sticking with those electric outlets that I usually use on the MCIs.

Are they really doing over head again  -_-

Haven't they learned that no one likes that, the need outlets not USB ports, thanks to Apple those USB port are essentially limited in life.

I wonder why the new Prevosts didn't come with these amenities. I find it funny how right after we get these new Novas, Prevosts, and Xcelsiors, they want to put Wifi and USB on all new buses.

The Prevosts already came with full outlets lol

I wonder why the new Prevosts didn't come with these amenities. I find it funny how right after we get these new Novas, Prevosts, and Xcelsiors, they want to put Wifi and USB on all new buses.

Yeah, but in all honesty, I found very few of the outlets actually worked at least on the 24XXs out of Ulmer Park.  Maybe the newer Prevosts are better in regard...

Are they really doing over head again  -_-

Haven't they learned that no one likes that, the need outlets not USB ports, thanks to Apple those USB port are essentially limited in life.

Well to be fair, I would not necessarily want all that electricity running in the fabric of the seats. 

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

They should do it the same way greyhound does it where the outlet is in between two seats it's much less intrusive and allows for passengers of both ends to use it without tearing down their charging cables.

They should do it the same way greyhound does it where the outlet is in between two seats it's much less intrusive and allows for passengers of both ends to use it without tearing down their charging cables.

In between the two seats where? I haven't used Greyhound buses in years... I think the last time was when I was living up near Montréal...

In between the two seats where? I haven't used Greyhound buses in years... I think the last time was when I was living up near Montréal...

So when you sit down the outlets are on the gutter in between the two seats in front of you. 

Well to be fair, I would not necessarily want all that electricity running in the fabric of the seats.

As mentioned above Greyhound has been doing it for years. They are in between the back of the seats on the Prevosts and newer MCI's, and on the side bar of the older MCI's and the Vanhools. And they are the 3-prong type so you can charge anything via the outlet. I personally like it much better than the USB Setup. I can charge my MacBook on the express buses currently as long as the outlet is working. I won't be able to do that with USB.

As mentioned above Greyhound has been doing it for years. They are in between the back of the seats on the Prevosts and newer MCI's, and on the side bar of the older MCI's and the Vanhools. And they are the 3-prong type so you can charge anything via the outlet. I personally like it much better than the USB Setup. I can charge my MacBook on the express buses currently as long as the outlet is working. I won't be able to do that with USB.

On the CP EXP buses, I have found that maybe 10% of the time the outlet actually works (and that's assuming you can even get the few seats with an outlet. 

On the CP EXP buses, I have found that maybe 10% of the time the outlet actually works (and that's assuming you can even get the few seats with an outlet.

That's because CP drivers don't turn on the damn button so you can charge your phone via those electricity outlets. I always seem to run out of juice by the time I go to Whitestone and am in my way back on the QM2. Yonkers and Eastchester have the button on almost always.

That's because CP drivers don't turn on the damn button so you can charge your phone via those electricity outlets. I always seem to run out of juice by the time I go to Whitestone and am in my way back on the QM2. Yonkers and Eastchester have the button on almost always.

Do you ask the B/O's to turn on the button? I never knew that was an option

If you put your "life" on hold while on the bus, and put your phone into Airplane Mode, you should be able to get a halfway decent charge-up in 20 or 30 minutes.  Somehow I don't think too many would even DARE do such a thing, since their life is dictated by electronics and everyone ELSE in the world.  (Lots of narcissism these days, IMO.)

Someone who could come up with a "vending" concept for USB/charging ports could make a buttload of cash.  Like in the old days when you could watch TV at the airports by feeding the machine quarters.  Or like in the dirty bookstores.

On the QM buses I don't since it's usually a short ride and I'll charge once in the city. On Yonkers buses I have but rarely need to. Sometimes they are actually broken. lol CP drivers usually just don't bother with them, and other times the outlets just flat out suck.

If you put your "life" on hold while on the bus, and put your phone into Airplane Mode, you should be able to get a halfway decent charge-up in 20 or 30 minutes.  Somehow I don't think too many would even DARE do such a thing, since their life is dictated by electronics and everyone ELSE in the world.  (Lots of narcissism these days, IMO.)

Someone who could come up with a "vending" concept for USB/charging ports could make a buttload of cash.  Like in the old days when you could watch TV at the airports by feeding the machine quarters.  Or like in the dirty bookstores.

Phones are a necessity these days. I have clients in different time zones and when they write to me, I have to answer them. It's just a sign of the world we live in. Having a phone makes my commute a lot easier with BusTime too. Coming from Whole Foods with bags, I can check to see if buses are coming and opt for a taxi, saving me a 20 minute wait. Don't know about Detroit, but the cost of living here continues to skyrocket and people are trying to keep up with their salaries leading to an ever ending rat race. Given how many hours I work in a given week, my phone helps me maximize my free time, but I don't live on my phone like some people do. I agree with the narcissism part.

Neither did I 

Frankly I can charge my phone 40% on short CP routes and up to 70% on longer ones without having to go to Airplane mode and I have a 6S+ which eats up a lot of battery life.  

Phones are a necessity these days. I have clients in different time zones and when they write to me, I have to answer them. It's just a sign of the world we live in. Having a phone makes my commute a lot easier with BusTime too. Coming from Whole Foods with bags, I can check to see if buses are coming and opt for a taxi, saving me a 20 minute wait. Don't know about Detroit, but the cost of living here continues to skyrocket and people are trying to keep up with their salaries leading to an ever ending rat race. Given how many hours I work in a given week, my phone helps me maximize my free time, but I don't live on my phone like some people do. I agree with the narcissism part.

Oh I get the whole necessity thing, but from what I've observed on Locals, there isn't a whole lot of "necessity" by close to 90% of the riders.  I don't see how playing on Fakebook or watching videos are part of being "necessary" during a however long bus commute, since it's probably only a minor fraction of someone's total day.  On most routes within the city, people could be on for maybe 15-20 minutes, more outside into the suburbs.  But even on a regular end-to-end route that I ride, it's only ~45 minutes, and that shouldn't be enough to bring on severe boredom.

On commuter routes that operate during AM/PM Peak, most of those who bury themselves in their phone/tablet/Kindle are doing reading or something similar, but even on a lot of those, there's actually more conversation between passengers.

Part of owning/using that device is being responsible for keeping it operating, and I just don't see how buses somehow "need" to be a mobile charging station even if you spend an hour or two on them in total day travel time.  Even if you unplugged at full charge, waited for a bus 30 minutes, got on and rode 60 minutes, and arrived at your destination, using your phone as a "necessity" should NOT mean you require charging on that bus trip in between.

If you have to use proper time planning with your commute, why can't that same planning be used to keep your phone charged so you can MAKE IT through your commute?

Oh I get the whole necessity thing, but from what I've observed on Locals, there isn't a whole lot of "necessity" by close to 90% of the riders.  I don't see how playing on Fakebook or watching videos are part of being "necessary" during a however long bus commute, since it's probably only a minor fraction of someone's total day.  On most routes within the city, people could be on for maybe 15-20 minutes, more outside into the suburbs.  But even on a regular end-to-end route that I ride, it's only ~45 minutes, and that shouldn't be enough to bring on severe boredom.

On commuter routes that operate during AM/PM Peak, most of those who bury themselves in their phone/tablet/Kindle are doing reading or something similar, but even on a lot of those, there's actually more conversation between passengers.

Part of owning/using that device is being responsible for keeping it operating, and I just don't see how buses somehow "need" to be a mobile charging station even if you spend an hour or two on them in total day travel time.  Even if you unplugged at full charge, waited for a bus 30 minutes, got on and rode 60 minutes, and arrived at your destination, using your phone as a "necessity" should NOT mean you require charging on that bus trip in between.

If you have to use proper time planning with your commute, why can't that same planning be used to keep your phone charged so you can MAKE IT through your commute?

Easier said then done... One reason is cell phones are now like mini laptops.  I use mine to write e-mails, review documents and so on while I'm on the go.  It's part of my routine while on the express bus, and in my case I'm on the express bus usually over an hour easily, so having charging capabilities while not a "must" is nice to have.  I don't know what field you're in, but I have a white collar job that requires me to answer e-mails in different time zones at all hours.  Perfect example is tomorrow.  I'll be working well past 10 hours, out at a meeting for about 3 hours and traveling for about 3 - 4 hours when all is said and done.  Sometimes the only real place to charge the phone is on the express bus if I don't have time to do so in my office.  

I'm sure QM1 can relate.

Archived