2016 Holiday Nostalgia Train...

+Young+

Mechanical issues.

And the idiots in the towers not giving the train lineups. The "12:14 departure" from Queens Plaza sat at 5th Avenue for 10 minutes, only to get stopped in the tunnel to wait for an (F). Then, they lined it up with bottom green east of Broadway-Lafayette, so we had to wait 5 minutes for them to give us bottom yellow.

How packed is the train? Overall? I wonder how well they maintain these old motors? Do they consider weight? As crazy as it sounds that might be something to consider. Can cause breaking mechanisms to lock up.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

How packed? Like riding the Lex. Great so see so many people loving the trains, but they probably can't take that much loading.

How packed is the train? Overall? I wonder how well they maintain these old motors? Do they consider weight? As crazy as it sounds that might be something to consider. Can cause breaking mechanisms to lock up.

The cars are maintained well, but one of the cars did break down a few weeks ago and I think they've been running the train one car short since then.

How packed? Like riding the Lex. Great so see so many people loving the trains, but they probably can't take that much loading.

Looks extremely packed from Fanrailers video. Could be the source of some of the issues on a older train like that. Just a guess tho.

Looks extremely packed from Fanrailers video. Could be the source of some of the issues on a older train like that. Just a guess tho.

I was on the 12:14 and it felt like riding the (4)(5) during rush hour except with a RFW. When we pulled into Second Avenue, the platform was nearly full with people waiting to get on, so that trip was even fuller.

I was on the 12:14 and it felt like riding the (4)(5) during rush hour except with a RFW. When we pulled into Second Avenue, the platform was nearly full with people waiting to get on, so that trip was even fuller.

Anything out of the ordinary acceleration breaking wise? Bucking? Air? These are pre SMEE cars correct?

I didn't notice anything funky when I was on it. No worse than the jerking we occasionally get on newer equipment. They are pre-SMEE.

Gotcha. Wow pre SMEE that's work I'm not a expert on MTA equipment pre NTT but I'm sure that was like using standard air breaks on a locomotives. Probably had to lap the breaks I'm sure it was manual hold. Probably a heck of a lot different then operating SMEE cars had to know your train and feel it out. Now look at the NTTs come a long way!

Gotcha. Wow pre SMEE that's work I'm not a expert on MTA equipment pre NTT but I'm sure that was like using standard air breaks on a locomotives. Probably had to lap the breaks I'm sure it was manual hold. Probably a heck of a lot different then operating SMEE cars had to know your train and feel it out. Now look at the NTTs come a long way!

The Arnines are have an AMUE brake set up...forgot exactly what it stood for, but you basically lap and hold your own brakes. The R10s and later brought out the SMEE braking

The Arnines are have an AMUE brake set up...forgot exactly what it stood for, but you basically lap and hold your own brakes. The R10s and later brought out the SMEE braking

I figured so a 3 valve system. The arnines were probably all electric breaking at least. I don't know if this was the case here in New York but in other cities older stock had independent control over both the electric and pneumatic braking IRT days maybe. So the R10 was first with dynamic breaking? Almost as big a jump from AMUE to SMEE as SMEE to NTT.

The train was so late yesterday that they cancelled the last run to/from Queens Plaza yesterday

It wasn't just from being late, it was a brake problem at 2nd Ave. (And then, they kept giving the lights, but then had to let about 3 (F)'s go by, and then gave up. All the while with the packed crowds on, with the doors closed!)

I apologize for the poor quality, but I grabbed an RFW video of the SB train yesterday on my phone, complete with the switching issues. I stopped the video before Second Avenue because I didn't know how long we'd be waiting for a lineup and I wanted to conserve battery and phone space.

This past sunday 12/18 it was pretty bad. I was on the 10:44/11:30 runs and it was bearable - but when I was heading home from other stuff I saw it pull into queens plaza heading north about 3:10 - slammed. The platform waiting for the reverse run was the most crowding I have ever seen at queens plaza. 

This past sunday 12/18 it was pretty bad. I was on the 10:44/11:30 runs and it was bearable - but when I was heading home from other stuff I saw it pull into queens plaza heading north about 3:10 - slammed. The platform waiting for the reverse run was the most crowding I have ever seen at queens plaza. 

Man.. Yeah as I said sounds kinda like a weight issue leading to a breaking issue. Someone did confirm breaking as the issue. Don't think these cars besides maybe the late 1940's had this type of workout or faced modern standards. The motors could be balanced different part's maybe be harder to find and substituted. Heck, people may just weigh more overall. Wonder how this will effect the Holiday runs moving forward.

Well, you can thank the yuppie/hipster douchebags and the railtards for that...  Each year there's more of them, and less normal people riding the train, like random passengers or families wanting to show their kids a good time.

I sense a bit of disgust. 

It wasn't just from being late, it was a brake problem at 2nd Ave. (And then, they kept giving the lights, but then had to let about 3 (F)'s go by, and then gave up. All the while with the packed crowds on, with the doors closed!)

what I don't get is why the other tracks aren't utilized, at least as rest points.

A similar dilemma occurred at Ft Hamilton Pkwy earlier this week simply because someone was being difficult on a (G) attempting to discharge at Church Avenue.

I've noticed that some tracks are "braided" (I think there's a better term) which allows them to stop anywhere on the track bed and still make regular station stops.

Examples I've noticed are 167th St (B)(D) and Smith-9th Street's (F)(G).

Can someone elaborate? (:-D

Well, you can thank the yuppie/hipster douchebags and the railtards for that...  Each year there's more of them, and less normal people riding the train, like random passengers or families wanting to show their kids a good time.

Actually most of the "yuppie/hipster douchebags" (your words) are the random passengers or families wanting to show their kids a good time...

what I don't get is why the other tracks aren't utilized, at least as rest points.

A similar dilemma occurred at Ft Hamilton Pkwy earlier this week simply because someone was being difficult on a (G) attempting to discharge at Church Avenue.

I've noticed that some tracks are "braided" (I think there's a better term) which allows them to stop anywhere on the track bed and still make regular station stops.

Examples I've noticed are 167th St (B)(D) and Smith-9th Street's (F)(G).

Can someone elaborate? (:-D

Do you mean pocket tracks?

Archived