2016 Holiday Nostalgia Train...

+Young+

You know, maybe if there were more of these things throughout the year, there wouldn't be as many foamers from around the country...

The TM runs fan trips during the summer, those are even better than the Holiday runs IMO, express run to Coney Island and the Rockaways during the summer time  :D Most people have vacations during the summer so those "foamers" that don't live in the Tri State could visit NY to ride the trains then.

Railfans will always come out the in the masses for museum trains, they stuff the TOMC whenever they run and the Redbirds are basically IRT sized R32's  :lol: and have only been retired for about 13 years now. 

the paid runs are always better than the free ones, the degenerates can't afford to ride and some of the worst behaved refuse to pay to support the TM, so instead of "the great unwashed" rushing the first car and cursing around little kids, you get a generally respectful crowd that is courteous to other riders, and represents a wide variety of demographics, from families with kids, to young couples, to older individuals.

The TM runs fan trips during the summer, those are even better than the Holiday runs IMO, express run to Coney Island and the Rockaways during the summer time  :D Most people have vacations during the summer so those "foamers" that don't live in the Tri State could visit NY to ride the trains then.

Railfans will always come out the in the masses for museum trains, they stuff the TOMC whenever they run and the Redbirds are basically IRT sized R32's  :lol: and have only been retired for about 13 years now.

the paid runs are always better than the free ones, the degenerates can't afford to ride and some of the worst behaved refuse to pay to support the TM, so instead of "the great unwashed" rushing the first car and cursing around little kids, you get a generally respectful crowd that is courteous to other riders, and represents a wide variety of demographics, from families with kids, to young couples, to older individuals.

I completely agree, although you still get some of those degens on the paid trips. It's still not as bad.

BTW, the train was just transferred back to 207 from Pitkin. Video later.

Man.. Yeah as I said sounds kinda like a weight issue leading to a breaking issue. Someone did confirm breaking as the issue. Don't think these cars besides maybe the late 1940's had this type of workout or faced modern standards. The motors could be balanced different part's maybe be harder to find and substituted. Heck, people may just weigh more overall. Wonder how this will effect the Holiday runs moving forward.

Respectfully, this is not the case at all.

There has been a lot of uninformed speculation about what happened, but the loading/weight of the crowds on the train did not "break" the train. The fact of the matter is, the museum cars are spec'd to handle the same conditions as modern trains. historically, the frequency of museum cars having mechanical problems is actually quite low.

Food for thought..

Respectfully, this is not the case at all.

There has been a lot of uninformed speculation about what happened, but the loading/weight of the crowds on the train did not "break" the train. The fact of the matter is, the museum cars are spec'd to handle the same conditions as modern trains. historically, the frequency of museum cars having mechanical problems is actually quite low.

Food for thought..

Respectively accepted just a guess older trains do have different motor configurations correct? acceleration? Breaking?  Parts are harder to get I don't expect to walk into a Ace Hardware to get parts for a 1920's era train. 100's of things to go wrong at any giving time with older parts. She runs a few times a year I'm sure if she had to run the rails weekly the measurement would be a bit different. Someone said they were one car short with more people trying to get on plus breaking issues my guess was based on that. I'm aware behind the screens there's a team working hard to keep the old girl running and there doing a marvelous job.  Keep the information coming.  

-The Student

Respectively accepted just a guess older trains do have different motor configurations correct? acceleration? Breaking?  Parts are harder to get I don't expect to walk into a Ace Hardware to get parts for a 1920's era train. 100's of things to go wrong at any giving time with older parts. She runs a few times a year I'm sure if she had to run the rails weekly the measurement would be a bit different. Someone said they were one car short with more people trying to get on plus breaking issues my guess was based on that. I'm aware behind the screens there's a team working hard to keep the old girl running and there doing a marvelous job.  Keep the information coming.  

-The Student

The R9s were spec'd with 190 HP motors, only 2 per car on the number 2 end truck. This meant they started off with 1.75 mph/s acceleration instead of the contemporary 2.5 mph/s rate. However, they will hold 1.75 longer, and with field shunt activated, will just about beat most SMEE cars operating around the system today if you try racing them, since those have been neutered since the Williamsburg Bridge Crash. 

Braking was purely air (no dynamics), but the brake pads on the R9s are cast iron, as opposed to the composite shit they use on today's fleet. This means that the R9s will stop faster if you give enough of an application.

Yes, parts are hard to come by, but the team manages very will given their situation. As Max said, problems of this magnitude with the museum fleet (specifically the R9s) is extremely rare. Last year, all 5 weekends operated without so much as a peep from the cars in terms of major problems, as far as I can remember.

Speaking of summer trips, does anyone know if they have a date for 2017's summer fan trips yet? I'd be quite interested in going.

Those dates are not announced until after the Winter tour season is concluded. Come back in April and ask again lol. At any rate, you can expect it to look about the same as it did this past year. 

The R9s were spec'd with 190 HP motors, only 2 per car on the number 2 end truck. This meant they started off with 1.75 mph/s acceleration instead of the contemporary 2.5 mph/s rate. However, they will hold 1.75 longer, and with field shunt activated, will just about beat most SMEE cars operating around the system today if you try racing them, since those have been neutered since the Williamsburg Bridge Crash. 

Braking was purely air (no dynamics), but the brake pads on the R9s are cast iron, as opposed to the composite shit they use on today's fleet. This means that the R9s will stop faster if you give enough of an application.

Yes, parts are hard to come by, but the team manages very will given their situation. As Max said, problems of this magnitude with the museum fleet (specifically the R9s) is extremely rare. Last year, all 5 weekends operated without so much as a peep from the cars in terms of major problems, as far as I can remember.

Field shunt I've heard of this term before in industrial applications for balance in variable load situations is it the same thing? Was this a standard option for all DC cars? Notice you said it was deactivated. How different is this from a compound DC motor? It's funny you should say speed with older trains I remember talking to a old timer about 15-20 years ago. He was a motorman back in the 50' and 60's on the IRT he told me about some Lo Voltage cars that he ran that could hit 60-65mph on the Lex you just reminded me of that. If you have any material or information on it just point me to it id love to read more on it.

Those dates are not announced until after the Winter tour season is concluded. Come back in April and ask again lol. At any rate, you can expect it to look about the same as it did this past year. 

I'll definitely try and get to one of the fan trips if my schedule matches up now that I live close enough. The old cars are too nice to pass up.

Field shunt I've heard of this term before in industrial applications for balance in variable load situations is it the same thing? Was this a standard option for all DC cars? Notice you said it was deactivated. How different is this from a compound DC motor? It's funny you should say speed with older trains I remember talking to a old timer about 15-20 years ago. He was a motorman back in the 50' and 60's on the IRT he told me about some Lo Voltage cars that he ran that could hit 60-65mph on the Lex you just reminded me of that. If you have any material or information on it just point me to it id love to read more on it.

Read the section on field weakening:

http://www.railway-technical.com/tract-01.shtml

All DC cars came with field shunt, but it was disconnected on the SMEE cars after Willy B.

i wrote a post about field shunting on here back in the day, or you could check the old subtalk archives for commentary on it. The short answer is at high speed, field shunting reduces counter EMF to allow the motor to reach a higher balancing speed (top speed).

Field shunting is not completely removed from modern DC equipment, it is still necessary at low speed to prevent knocking people over with rough starts as the train accelerates from a stop. It's only high speed field shunting that's been removed from the modern DC cars.

as for scarcity of parts, the folks that maintain the museums are some of the best in the entire world at what they do, their crafts, and the skills they have, and they are very resourceful. with any preservation almost 100 years old, sometimes certain liberties need to be taken with "historical accuracy" to promote functionality, and they've ensured this in ways that the average visitor...and even the average railfan...will never EVER know.

that said, every effort is made to preserve exact historical accuracy where possible...and the trains as a group do run damn well considering 1)their age and 2)a group that no matter who its members were, has never been bigger than "small", has been doing much of this work for the past 45 years.

Taken on 11/27/2016. Merry Christmas. Hop Aboard and enjoy the whistle and horns of the Vintage Arnine Holiday Train. Enjoy the view and stations along the 53rd Street connector and 6th Avenue (F)/(M) Line between Queens Plaza and Lower East Side-2nd Avenue. 

Enjoy and please subscribe to my channel

Archived