DOB New Hire FAQ

SevenEleven

5 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

They pile on, you run the route, they get off. LMAO

I did the N shuttle one weekend from Ditmars to Queensboro. It was pretty straightforward, stay underneath the EL, stop at the stations. Easy day.

One day, I was talking to a Bus Operator out of Stengel about those Subway Shuttles...they told me they don't even touch the farebox on those days at all.

1 hour ago, SevenEleven said:

They pile on, you run the route, they get off. LMAO

I did the N shuttle one weekend from Ditmars to Queensboro. It was pretty straightforward, stay underneath the EL, stop at the stations. Easy day.

How will u know when you can go home etc?

Must have been a long deadhead back to si for you

29 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

When you get given a shuttle, you do get a finish time. It is your responsibility to make sure that you do not violate the hours of service rules, most notably the 8 hour rule. So, you have to communicate with the dispatchers so that they can adjust you and otherwise release you, so that you can go home. You can stay extra provided that you're not breaking the hours of service rules.

When I did the shuttle, I left Astoria around 12-1230. Got back to Castleton in 45 mins.

2 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

When you get given a shuttle, you do get a finish time. It is your responsibility to make sure that you do not violate the hours of service rules, most notably the 8 hour rule. So, you have to communicate with the dispatchers so that they can adjust you and otherwise release you, so that you can go home. You can stay extra provided that you're not breaking the hours of service rules.

When I did the shuttle, I left Astoria around 12-1230. Got back to Castleton in 45 mins.

3 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Shuttle work are the best hours for OT or Double. 

The easiest shuttle work for me was The Q in brooklyn 4th Ave to Kingshwy

The 3 train 

The N Stillwell to 36th street

The M during the summertime  phase.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/11/2018 at 9:35 PM, BreeddekalbL said:

I have a hypothetical 

Say you decide to cancel your wedding at the last minute and honeymoon

Can you pull back on your time off request at the last minute?

They do the time off requests when they prepare the extra list for that day. So if you had 1/14 requested off (and was in quota to get it off), then you should cancel the request by 1/12.

On 1/13/2019 at 9:14 PM, SevenEleven said:

They do the time off requests when they prepare the extra list for that day. So if you had 1/14 requested off (and was in quota to get it off), then you should cancel the request by 1/12.

Does that apply to vacations too if you pull at the last minute?

Edited by BreeddekalbL

• 1 month later...
  • Harry featured this topic
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't know how recent this is but nowadays MTA runs a mentoring program for all new coming drivers. It's 10 days long, and you'll be paired with a senior driver. You'll pretty much go by their run which usually has weekends off and they're responsible for showing you the ins and outs of what you will be doing on a day-to-day basis on the job. Very valuable experience. After that, you'l go on to learn the rest of the lines at whatever depot you've chosen.

• 7 months later...
8 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Another question 

when you pick your schedule for example for the new people under 5 years what are the chances you get a SUNDAY MONDAY off for anyone of you?

Depends on how many senior drivers above you are at that depot... SUN/MON RDOs are like the next runs to go after SUN/SAT during a pick I've noticed. In depots with lower seniority you might have a better shot at that.

I have over three years on out of Yukon on Staten Island. From a SI Division observation: I could have had SS weekends off at the 2.5 year mark at both CA and YU (Extra List). For System Pick 2019 I could have had SS weekends off at CA, FS or SM at Yukon. For those on SI with less than 3-5 years, all SS work is PM work, FS had/has been both PM and hawk (overnight) and SM PM local work.

SS almost always goes first, then FS and SM last.

Edited by 161 New York

17 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

Depends on how many senior drivers above you are at that depot... SUN/MON RDOs are like the next runs to go after SUN/SAT during a pick I've noticed. In depots with lower seniority you might have a better shot at that.

16 hours ago, 161 New York said:

I have over three years on out of Yukon on Staten Island. From a SI Division observation: I could have had SS weekends off at the 2.5 year mark at both CA and YU (Extra List). For System Pick 2019 I could have had SS weekends off at CA, FS or SM at Yukon. For those on SI with less than 3-5 years, all SS work is PM work, FS had/has been both PM and hawk (overnight) and SM PM local work.

SS almost always goes first, then FS and SM last.

Would that apply to the afternoon side?

On 2/13/2020 at 3:48 PM, BreeddekalbL said:

Another question 

when you pick your schedule for example for the new people under 5 years what are the chances you get a SUNDAY MONDAY off for anyone of you?

I was able to pick Sunday/Monday off 10 months on the job. I was finishing at 130 AM. 

On 6/23/2019 at 5:31 PM, SoSpectacular said:

Don't know how recent this is but nowadays MTA runs a mentoring program for all new coming drivers. It's 10 days long, and you'll be paired with a senior driver. You'll pretty much go by their run which usually has weekends off and they're responsible for showing you the ins and outs of what you will be doing on a day-to-day basis on the job. Very valuable experience. After that, you'l go on to learn the rest of the lines at whatever depot you've chosen.

after you finish the mentoring program. when you go and learn the lines is that on your own and how does that work?

15 hours ago, XBht26 said:

I was able to pick Sunday/Monday off 10 months on the job. I was finishing at 130 AM. 

nice , also to expand on the odds of a sunday monday off i take you are at a low seniority depot?

11 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

after you finish the mentoring program. when you go and learn the lines is that on your own and how does that work?

After my 10 days I was just given a random run each day with each line, different driver and drove every route until graduation when I got my badge.

2 hours ago, lornaevo said:

I’m at CP Depot for line training and they didn’t mention anything about a mentor to me. 

Hmm... Guess they don't do that everywhere?

21 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

nice , also to expand on the odds of a sunday monday off i take you are at a low seniority depot?

In ENY, the seniority is a bit high. When it’s my turn to pick, the Sunday/Monday choices left clear late and may not pay as much. Also, I may only have less than 5 of those schedules to pick from. In TA depots, you must also pick what you want to do on weekends. You might clear earlier, later or at the same time as your weekday schedule. 

8 hours ago, XBht26 said:

In ENY, the seniority is a bit high. When it’s my turn to pick, the Sunday/Monday choices left clear late and may not pay as much. Also, I may only have less than 5 of those schedules to pick from. In TA depots, you must also pick what you want to do on weekends. You might clear earlier, later or at the same time as your weekday schedule. 

And that run you picked that you cleared late, what was your report time

On 2/16/2020 at 2:51 PM, XBht26 said:

In relation to picking what you want to do on weekends, can you pick a subway shuttle?

10 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

ahh ok so i could do an SS on my day off if i had a s/m off, and what do you mean pick within the line 

For example, if you pick the B17 for your run during the week, you must pick a B17 run on Saturday and/or Sunday. You can’t pick a B12 weekend run if you’re doing the B17. Unless you have a work run (which is covering the run when the person on the original run is off) you may be on another line that doesn’t interline with the line you picked.