Fidel Castro dead at age 90

TheNewYorkElevated

Former leader of Cuba Fidel Castro has died of age 90. His brother Raul (who is Cuba's current ruler) announced his passing just last night.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/former-cuban-president-fidel-castro-dead-90-cuban-tv-n688511

Cuba has declared 9 days of mourning; Fidel's funeral will take place on December 4th.

Fidel Castro wasn't exactly the pinnacle of democracy, but the guy who ran Cuba before him, Fulgencio Batista, was basically a goose-stepping fascist; I'll take a communist over a Nazi anyday. If not for Castro's guerillas, Batista and his corrupt cronies would have turned Cuba into a gambling playground fro the American Mafia and we'd basically have another Haiti on our hands.  I don't approve of some of the methods Castro used, but I do give him credit for overthrowing a fascist and protecting Cuba from the scourge of Western imperialism.

Fidel Castro wasn't exactly the pinnacle of democracy, but the guy who ran Cuba before him, Fulgencio Batista, was basically a goose-stepping fascist; I'll take a communist over a Nazi anyday. If not for Castro's guerillas, Batista and his corrupt cronies would have turned Cuba into a gambling playground fro the American Mafia and we'd basically have another Haiti on our hands.  I don't approve of some of the methods Castro used, but I do give him credit for overthrowing a fascist and protecting Cuba from the scourge of Western imperialism.

WOW, do you like to whitewash history ..........

Castro did basically the EXACT same thing you accuse Battista of wanting to do, albeit without the American Mafia.  He used, effectively, his own Mafia, and while being pretty much solely supported by the USSR, convinced Western countries to do business with him in the form of tourism, primarily, and some bit of trade.  Practically every "Western" country outside of the USA allowed some sort of access to Cuba, which meant that Western cash got put into his pockets.

What always amazed me was how the Soviets never traded their rotten-assed Ladas and other equally horrible cars to the island, but that was probably due to the fact of how isolated it was.  Plus the fact that if Castro could essentially keep the people immobile, they'd be easier to control.

Also amazes me how so many people who LOVE the "Western" trappings of life somehow think Communism is so much better, people all get along, more "equality".  But you can't convince people like Sean Penn, fat-boy Michael Moore or politicians to completely GIVE UP what the "terrible" West has given them to become part of that type of society.  Mr. Moore would certainly NOT be of his current frame if he was COMPLETELY IMMERSED in Communism.  The ONLY thing that those type of people have as backup is that they can rely on their Western benefits to help make them some part of the "elite" in a Communist society (i.e. because of their money).  Make them a complete peasant (which they would never espouse, they ONLY want to be part of the elite) -- even for a YEAR -- and they would be counting the days until their return to the West.

If Castro did a complete Soviet-version of Communism -- isolating the island completely from the "horrible" West -- then he would have ended up being toppled soon after the fall of the USSR.  However, he was basking in the riches of the West all along -- and laughing all the way to the bank.  While his "serfs" were, and still are, kept penniless.

Castro loved Western ways.  For the enrichment of himself, only.  Just like Battista.  And the cycle continues.

The line between fascism and Communism is a very blurry one, unlike the gulf between either of those and Capitalism.  But it's easier to throw out words than to know their true meanings, naturally.

Cuba being led by Castro defeated Apartide in South Africa. Besides China, Castro made Cuba one of two countries to train Africans to become doctors in Africa. A man leading a small island nation making as much an impact as any other larger nation....btw, I just learned this today.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Archived