Fix & Fortify - 14th Street (L Train) Tunnels Closure

Lance

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

If Cuomo interferes and forces the MTA to maintain manhattan service for the (L) he is stupid as HELL!

I don't think it's even possible to consider without the proper setup for maintenance and safety inspections the MTA is still subject to FRA/FTA oversight especially if you're receiving ample funding from the Feds.

3 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

I don't think it's even possible to consider without the proper setup for maintenance and safety inspections the MTA is still subject to FRA/FTA oversight especially if you're receiving ample funding from the Feds.

FRA has no jurisdiction and FTA is basically nonexistent unless you're DC Metro.

6 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

FRA has no jurisdiction and FTA is basically nonexistent unless you're DC Metro.

The MTA doesn't have work with the FRA? They have 2 major railroads under there belts. As far as the FTA I know they had TSO guidelines to qualify for funding for agencies this was back in 2000-01 when I was working in rail industry but you might be correct then if they're not really receiving funds from the feds nowadays.  I guess that brings me to my next question what's the governing body that's setting and overseeing safety standards?  Or just standards in general?

Edited by RailRunRob

There’s actually a myriad of federal and state agencies that have jurisdiction over parts of the (MTA) operations. PTC on the railroads, signal and timer installations on the subway system, SIR equipment requirements in the past , SBS, bus specifications pertaining to road worthiness. Just a few things that I can remember off the top of my head. Ever notice a conductor or train operator with earplugs? OSHA mandated safety equipment. Even the most mundane things in the (MTA) world of transportation are subject to regulatory approval in some fashion. It’s no different than air transportation or motor transport. Carry on.

Edited by Trainmaster5
Additional information

6 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

The MTA doesn't have work with the FRA? They have 2 major railroads under there belts. As far as the FTA I know they had TSO guidelines to qualify for funding for agencies this was back in 2000-01 when I was working in rail industry but you might be correct then if they're not really receiving funds from the feds nowadays.  I guess that brings me to my next question what's the governing body that's setting and overseeing safety standards?  Or just standards in general?

Well the subway isn't under FRA. This entire thread is about the (L) which is not a railroad.

5 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

There’s actually a myriad of federal and state agencies that have jurisdiction over parts of the (MTA) operations. PTC on the railroads, signal and timer installations on the subway system, SIR equipment requirements in the past , SBS, bus specifications pertaining to road worthiness. Just a few things that I can remember off the top of my head. Ever notice a conductor or train operator with earplugs? OSHA mandated safety equipment. Even the most mundane things in the (MTA) world of transportation are subject to regulatory approval in some fashion. It’s no different than air transportation or motor transport. Carry on.

Right! I figured so. As you stated other modes of transport have standards. I'm sure with NYCTA cars there's a multiple point check every certain amount of miles and you'd need tools and a particular environment to carry out this work there's just getting around that without yard access. My point.

Edited by RailRunRob

20 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

A lot can change between now and the spring. 

This won’t...not unless Cuomo forces the MTA not to go through with the shutdown. But there would be a lot of political fallout from that, which would almost certainly make him an even less desirable candidate for president.

Exactly. Can you imagine what would happen if the patchwork repairs fail because Cuomo decided to strong-arm the MTA and force the cancellation of the closure? The inevitable line shutdown that would follow would be more costly and more time-consuming than just letting the original shutdown commence as planned.

Also, I'm still baffled on how a line closure here in New York translates into increased / reduced presidential viability. Voters in the boondocks barely care about what happens in NYC. What makes you think someone in middle of nowhere Ohio is going to care about a partial line closure?

2 hours ago, Lance said:

Exactly. Can you imagine what would happen if the patchwork repairs fail because Cuomo decided to strong-arm the MTA and force the cancellation of the closure? The inevitable line shutdown that would follow would be more costly and more time-consuming than just letting the original shutdown commence as planned.

Also, I'm still baffled on how a line closure here in New York translates into increased / reduced presidential viability. Voters in the boondocks barely care about what happens in NYC. What makes you think someone in middle of nowhere Ohio is going to care about a partial line closure?

Nailed it Lance. You have people in the DC Metro area with their own transit problems who don't care about the situation in NYC.  Now imagine someone in Neckbone,  Mississippi caring about Cuomo,  the (L) train,  or a tunnel closure. Democrats or Republicans. 😁

On 12/20/2018 at 1:19 PM, Lance said:

This would specifically be voters who live and/or work in New York and related to potential votes in mainly the New York primary specifically as well as to a much lesser degree the New Jersey and Connecticut primaries.  The rest of the country does not come into play.  

On 12/28/2018 at 1:31 PM, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Quick question: What was the most Recent Physical Change on 14th Street or any piece of Infrastructure related to the (L) Train Shutdown? I'd like to know so I can take pictures/record a video for my own project that analyses the events of the (L) Train Shutdown.

I did see some bus lanes painted in Union Square when I passed by a few weeks ago. Some machine stands were also installed a few months ago. Other than that, I’m not sure what else was up there.

Edited by JeremiahC99

Maybe we shouldn't be so fast to sh*t on Wally's conception of politics...

Let's see if this actually pans out. Announcement is in 12 mins...

EDIT:

Confirmed. The f*cking Prince has decided that it's better to screw NYC with 36 months of crowding instead of 15. I think this is the moment where we give up on NYC transit ever unf*cking itself. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/03/nyregion/l-train-shutdown.html 

Beyond the incontrovertible idiocy of not doing the full shutdown, this is a complete denigration of public process. There were hearings on this. Alternatives and assessments and decisions were put together. What we're seeing today is basically an authoritarian rejection of that entire process. I hope everyone here (provided they want the 15 month version) takes it upon themselves to call their representatives/Cuomo and give them hell. 

Edited by RR503

Yeah, Cuomo and the State are definitely in control of the MTA.

Not DiBlasio, as a certain someone loves to insist.

This dumbass here, who for years spent time saying the City was ultimately responsible for the subways.

Edited by GojiMet86

Makes no sense. At least if they did the Full Shutdown, they would've been able to get all of the work done on a single timeline and then get out. Now with the weekends/nights only shutdown it will take way longer and god knows if the structure would/could hold that long.

On another serious note, he had plenty of time to do his tour of the tunnel and it bothers me that he waited until the last minute really which is really crazy. And the years of alternative planning and increased subway service on certain routes has seems to have gone into waste.

Edited by Daniel The Cool