Fix & Fortify - 14th Street (L Train) Tunnels Closure

Lance

Just now, Daniel The Cool said:

Makes no sense. At least if they did the Full Shutdown, they would've been able to get all of the work done on a single timeline and then get out. Now with the weekends/nights only shutdown it will take way longer and god knows if the structure would could hold that long.

On another serious note, he had plenty of time to do his tour of the tunnel and it bothers me that he waited until the last minute really which is really crazy. And the years of alternative planning and increased subway service on certain routes has seems to have gone into waste.

I agree. The tunnel has been in service for 6 years!! It can't hold any longer! Weekend shut down's will NOT fix the problem!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I just saw that he cancelled the 14th ST shutdown. What is he thinking!?!?

to please the crying hipsters

2 minutes ago, Daniel The Cool said:

Makes no sense. At least if they did the Full Shutdown, they would've been able to get all of the work done on a single timeline and then get out. Now with the weekends/nights only shutdown it will take way longer and god knows if the structure would could hold that long.

On another serious note, he had plenty of time to do his tour of the tunnel and it bothers me that he waited until the last minute really which is really crazy. And the years of alternative planning and increased subway service on certain routes has seems to have gone into waste.

I called it when he did his tunnel playtime i said if he pulls back on the full shutdown he stupid as hell

"One conclusion that could be reached is, everything being done is right and there are no suggestions," Cuomo said. "Second option is, we have  some minor suggestions to make that could save some time. Third  suggestion is, we have improvements that we can make to the system. And  the fourth suggestion is, we have a totally different theory of how this can be done. New materials, new engineering techniques, et cetera."

An incredibly nonsensical remark.

1 hour ago, RR503 said:

Maybe we shouldn't be so fast to sh*t on Wally's conception of politics...

Let's see if this actually pans out. Announcement is in 12 mins...

EDIT:

Confirmed. The f*cking Prince has decided that it's better to screw NYC with 36 months of crowding instead of 15. I think this is the moment where we give up on NYC transit ever unf*cking itself. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/03/nyregion/l-train-shutdown.html 

Beyond the incontrovertible idiocy of not doing the full shutdown, this is a complete denigration of public process. There were hearings on this. Alternatives and assessments and decisions were put together. What we're seeing today is basically an authoritarian rejection of that entire process. I hope everyone here (provided they want the 15 month version) takes it upon themselves to call their representatives/Cuomo and give them hell. 

So much for the “get in, get out” approach he touted as part of the Enhanced Station Initiative he pitched. Now we’ll be stuck with severely reduced service for the foreseeable future while one tunnel is perennially out of service. Once again, Prince Andy spits on the desires of the electorate here by ignoring what the people overwhelmingly chose. Everyone knows the MTA is slower than molasses when it comes to construction, which is why we chose the shorter option to fix the issue in one fell swoop rather than prolong the pain for at least three years. I just hope this doesn’t backfire on him, because we’ll be the ones suffering from a catastrophic tunnel failure.

38 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

i hope the hipsters who predicted doom and gloom are happy because of your crying and moaning your screwing everyone else

They’ll complain regardless as the L will be reduced anyhow. The full closure option was overwhelmingly preferred over this half-assed approach because even under a partial closure, the tunnels will not be able to handle full capacity, thus requiring the myriad of transportation alternatives outlined in the full closure option.

Edited by Lance

14 minutes ago, Lance said:

So much for the “get in, get out” approach he touted as part of the Enhanced Station Initiative he pitched. Now we’ll be stuck with severely reduced service for the foreseeable future while one tunnel is perennially out of service. Once again, Prince Andy spits on the desires of the electorate here by ignoring what the people overwhelmingly chose. Everyone knows the MTA is slower than molasses when it comes to construction, which is why we chose the shorter option to fix the issue in one fell swoop rather than prolong the pain for at least three years. I just hope this doesn’t backfire on him, because we’ll be the ones suffering from a catastrophic tunnel failure.

They’ll complain regardless as the L will be reduced anyhow. The full closure option was overwhelmingly preferred over this half-assed approach because even under a partial closure, the tunnels will not be able to handle full capacity, thus requiring the myriad of transportation alternatives outlined in the full closure option.

Isn't the one tunnel only closure not direct service between Manhattan and Brooklyn? There would be no train service between Lorimer St and Bedford Avenue if I remember correctly.

1 hour ago, RR503 said:

Maybe we shouldn't be so fast to sh*t on Wally's conception of politics...

Let's see if this actually pans out. Announcement is in 12 mins...

EDIT:

Confirmed. The f*cking Prince has decided that it's better to screw NYC with 36 months of crowding instead of 15. I think this is the moment where we give up on NYC transit ever unf*cking itself. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/03/nyregion/l-train-shutdown.html 

Beyond the incontrovertible idiocy of not doing the full shutdown, this is a complete denigration of public process. There were hearings on this. Alternatives and assessments and decisions were put together. What we're seeing today is basically an authoritarian rejection of that entire process. I hope everyone here (provided they want the 15 month version) takes it upon themselves to call their representatives/Cuomo and give them hell. 

I'm not surprised one bit by this:

Cuomo probably heard from a lot of people fearful that a total shutdown of the 14th Street line would cause massive traffic problems on many blocks north and south of 14th Street and on the avenues due to cars that come in from New Jersey where such drivers won't use public transportation because:

They can't, either because there is none where they live and even a park-and-ride is too much

OR

In some cases don't want to deal with riff-raff on public transportation OR in some cases even think if their employer knew they used public transportation would look down on them and use it against them.

That to me may have been given to Cuomo as reasons by such "hipsters," especially if they have real concerns of increased car traffic causing unintended consequences for them.  Many of them likely demanded that the 1st-8th Avenue portion of the (L) remain running at all times even if both tunnels were shut down.  This suggests Cuomo may be looking for their votes as well as votes in New Jersey and Connecticut in the 2020 primaries if he does decide to run for President as this may be a precursor to that.

I would now re-visit my version where both tunnels are shut as originally planned, BUT with eight sets of four-car trains in use between 1st and 8th Avenue on the (L) and every 1-2 months opening up one of the tunnels long enough to swap out cars for normal maintenance (also why I would have a max of three sets in use at any one time).  I would also add a new set of switches just east of 1st Avenue to allow for greater flexibility of such.  That might be a compromise Cuomo and the hipsters can accept.

Honestly I have some cautious optimism here. If this plane works it would be far better than the inevitable traffic fiasco. But as things go with the (MTA) they don't usually go smoothly.

The alternative plan was recommended by a panel of engineering experts convened by Mr. Cuomo, who called the new design a “major breakthrough’’ that had been used in Europe but had not been tried in this country. - New York Times

It's always good to bring in new technology to the NYC subways, because boy are we behind on almost every level. I hope we still get the upgraded power capacity that would allow more trains to be run.

Edited by kosciusko

13 minutes ago, Daniel The Cool said:

Actually the hipsters are really pissed at him for this decision.

Then this is about certain voters who are fearful that not having Manhattan service on the (L) of any kind would cause unintended traffic problems not only on 14th Street, but on many, MANY streets north and south of there, especially by drivers coming in from New Jersey like I described above.  

As said, I now re-visit my original plan of keeping a 1st-8th Avenue shuttle on the (L) in Manhattan, using a maximum of three sets of four-car trains at any one time while having eight sets total in use, opening up one tunnel every 1-2 months to swap out cars as needed.  This keeps enough people happy so Cuomo allows it.

2 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

God damnit! What kind of crap is this! 

A Political stunt. That's what this is.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

I just saw that he cancelled the 14th ST shutdown. What is he thinking!?!?

He just doesn't care about the health of the city anymore. This better be his last term in any level of office.

1 hour ago, Daniel The Cool said:

Makes no sense. At least if they did the Full Shutdown, they would've been able to get all of the work done on a single timeline and then get out. Now with the weekends/nights only shutdown it will take way longer and god knows if the structure would/could hold that long.

Cuomo's views and position about the Subway make absolutely no sense at all. First, he bickers and argues with Mayor DeBlasio about funding like they're a bunch of little kids, then he prioritizes per projects over essential signal repairs, and now this halt the shutdown crap just 4 months before it begins? The planning was underway since March 2016 and now he decides to do this? This is just UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!

25 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

A Political stunt. That's what this is.

He just doesn't care about the health of the city anymore. This better be his last term in any level of office.

Cuomo's views and position about the Subway make absolutely no sense at all. First, he bickers and argues with Mayor DeBlasio about funding like they're a bunch of little kids, then he prioritizes per projects over essential signal repairs, and now this halt the shutdown crap just 4 months before it begins? The planning was underway since March 2016 and now he decides to do this? This is just UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!

This is all about appeasing certain voters ahead of a 2020 Presidential bid. 

54 minutes ago, Daniel The Cool said:

Actually the hipsters are really pissed at him for this decision.

you gotta be kidding me! yet they were the loudest ones crying, pissin, moaning and other stuff

52 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

That dude just really hates hipsters.

Honestly, does anyone really think hipsters are responsible for this? Think of how many people moved out of Williamsburg because of this.

so then he did it to stop the doom and gloom they predicted?

also if they did the Williamsburg bridge project 20 years ago today would there be crying pissin and moaning?

5 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

you gotta be kidding me! yet they were the loudest ones crying, pissin, moaning and other stuff

Same with West Village. Think of how many lawsuits were made by those crybabies to stop the street changes from happening, even though I saw the 14th Street Busway as an opportunity to provide a faster crosstown bus experience that can best any of the Manhattan SBS crosstown routes. With the street closed to through traffic to all except buses and emergency vehicles, buses can move much faster than the current crosstown SBS routes (like the ones on 34th Street). Why didn't they do this any sooner? This would've radically changed the future of transportation in the greatest city in the world.

23 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Same with West Village. Think of how many lawsuits were made by those crybabies to stop the street changes from happening, even though I saw the 14th Street Busway as an opportunity to provide a faster crosstown bus experience that can best any of the Manhattan SBS crosstown routes. With the street closed to through traffic to all except buses and emergency vehicles, buses can move much faster than the current crosstown SBS routes (like the ones on 34th Street). Why didn't they do this any sooner? This would've radically changed the future of transportation in the greatest city in the world.

The fear though was what I described in other posts in all likelihood, unintended consequences caused by those who insisted on driving with those from New Jersey adding to the problem.  

The plan is supposedly normal weekday service, and single tracking night and weekend service, using some revolutionary European technique. I guess we can cancel the M14 SBS as well as the bus bridge and the enhanced (G) and (M) train service now to make all this cost neutral on the operating budget.

Welp.... best of luck for all, from the passengers to the people at the offices of NYCT, who now have to rewrite the Spring pick schedules virtually from scratch.

3 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

That dude just really hates hipsters.

Honestly, does anyone really think hipsters are responsible for this? Think of how many people moved out of Williamsburg because of this.

This dude just hates NYC citizens. Uses the subways and buses for his personal photo ops instead of actually fixing it, then gets into too many disputes with DeBlasio over everything instead of actually fixing them, not to mention that we may have missed an opportunity to revolutionize public transportation in the worlds greatest city, like come on. This is the greatest city in the world and our transportation system is a disgrace. Even the east coast is better than us. Looks like NYC politics is ass backwards compared to everywhere else.

1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

The plan is supposedly normal weekday service, and single tracking night and weekend service, using some revolutionary European technique. I guess we can cancel the M14 SBS as well as the bus bridge and the enhanced (G) and (M) train service now to make all this cost neutral on the operating budget.

Welp.... best of luck for all, from the passengers to the people at the offices of NYCT, who now have to rewrite the Spring pick schedules virtually from scratch.

And this is why Prince Andrew should've been on the first tour of the tunnel of March 2016. Stupid governor. Note to NYC residents: DON'T vote for this guy for president in 2020. He'll ruin everyone else's transit system.

2 hours ago, paulrivera said:

The plan is supposedly normal weekday service, and single tracking night and weekend service, using some revolutionary European technique. I guess we can cancel the M14 SBS as well as the bus bridge and the enhanced (G) and (M) train service now to make all this cost neutral on the operating budget.

The kind they’re discussing here? I haven’t seen the video yet. I wonder if it has any footage of said techniques. I honestly have my doubts it’ll be better than a full shutdown. And I really doubt they’ll get the tubes fixed in just as much time as a full shutdown.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Cuomo-L-Train-Shutdown-Work-New-York-503852281.html

3 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

This is all about appeasing certain voters ahead of a 2020 Presidential bid. 

Well then I won’t be voting for him! That’s for damn sure. And I’m talking about the Democratic Primary election in New York State, because he’s got about a snowball’s chance in Hell of winning the nomination.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

21 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Well then I won’t be voting for him! That’s for damn sure. And I’m talking about the Democratic Primary election in New York State, because he’s got a snowball’s chance in Hell of winning the nomination.

Neither will I, and I won't vote for him in any election. We gave him a chance, now he is through and has to go.

59 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Well then I won’t be voting for him! That’s for damn sure. And I’m talking about the Democratic Primary election in New York State, because he’s got about a snowball’s chance in Hell of winning the nomination.

Well 89% of the state voted for Cuomo during the election and I was hoping for Molinaro to win (even though that didn’t happen and I’m too young to vote). I don’t know what everyone who voted for him was thinking (especially those that are aware of his corruption). When I heard that he was visiting the Canarsie tubes, I knew that he’d do something to cancel the (L) train shutdown. I kept that prediction to myself, and what do we have here? A political stunt that ended up in the “alterations” of the (L) train shutdown plans. I can’t say that the shutdown project itself was canceled for obvious reasons. Either way, Cuomo doesn’t stand a chance as president and should’ve been voted out of office last year. But hey, life happens and the most we can do is just suck it up and suck it in. 

Just got a call from a friend who recently retired from the (MTA) and reminded me about a conversation we had with some people in the agency.  He remembered me asking about tunnel closures and replacements before any post-Sandy work was started.  My question then and now was how much a prefab tunnel would cost and how long construction would take.  We never really got an answer to either question but looking back on the Montague mess and now this last minute substitute plan I'm wondering if our ideas were ever part of the discussion. We're not sand hogs nor were we acquainted with anyone familiar with tunnel fabrication but we are wondering if anyone in a position of importance even thought of our solution.  I guess we'll never know. Maybe all of tunnel projects could have been completed in that time frame ? Carry on. 

Edited by Trainmaster5
Additional thought