Fix & Fortify - 14th Street (L Train) Tunnels Closure

Lance

We have an updated time-frame and a start date for the closure. Instead of the original 18-month project duration, the closure is expected to last 15 months, a slight reduction. Whether they keep to that schedule remains to be seen. Also, the MTA projects the work to begin in April 2019, just over two years from this post date.

More info: Source

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the MTA website. Diagram of new Ave A entrances

1AvAccessible.png

At Avenue A:

• Building new station entrances on both sides of the 14th street. This will improve service and convenience for Stuyvesant Town and Lower East Side customers and relieve crowding conditions within the station.
  • Installing new elevators serving both platforms, making this station accessible for disabled customers.
  • Installing new turnstiles and MetroCard vending machines.

and rendering of new Bedford Ave entrance and elevator

BedforAvAccessible.png

At the Bedford Av entrance:
• Adding two new street-level stairways
• Adding platform stair capacity
• Expanding the mezzanine
• Adding new elevators to make this station more accessible for disabled customers
• Adding turnstiles

At the Driggs Av entrance:
• Adding two new street stairways
• Redesigning the mezzanine area and adding turnstiles
• Adding a new platform stairway

http://web.mta.info/sandy/rebuildingThisVitalLink.htm

Edited by twarrior3dc

We have an updated time-frame and a start date for the closure. Instead of the original 18-month project duration, the closure is expected to last 15 months, a slight reduction. Whether they keep to that schedule remains to be seen. Also, the MTA projects the work to begin in April 2019, just over two years from this post date.

More info: Source

That's good.  If they can keep it to that timeline, it would really help.  

I wish there was a way to roll in 8 Av tail tracks somehow.

And as I would want to, do it where you could actually extend the line to first 23rd Street and 10th Avenue (as a three-track terminal) that would eventually run on 10th/Amsterdam Avenue to 72nd/Broadway with provisions to later on go further up Amsterdam Avenue).  

also say down the line they build phase 3 of the 2nd avenue subway is there a provision for a transfer at 3rd avenue?

There is supposed to be, however, to me there is also the option to move the SAS to 1st Avenue south of 23rd Street (the way the original Second Avenue EL was) and have a more direct transfer to the (L) at 1st Avenue (which also would give those in Alphabet City a bit easier access as well) as doing that might allow for a branch of the SAS to go with the (F) via the Culver Line and in the future run as a Culver Express while the SAS then runs via Allen Street to East Broadway and then goes to Chatam Square that way.  

There is supposed to be, however, to me there is also the option to move the SAS to 1st Avenue south of 23rd Street (the way the original Second Avenue EL was) and have a more direct transfer to the (L) at 1st Avenue (which also would give those in Alphabet City a bit easier access as well) as doing that might allow for a branch of the SAS to go with the (F) via the Culver Line and in the future run as a Culver Express while the SAS then runs via Allen Street to East Broadway and then goes to Chatam Square that way.  

But isn't it supposed to connect to the (F) at 2nd Ave-Houston? I don't see it switching back from 1st Av to 2nd Av...

I think just making a slightly longer transfer at Third Avenue is worth the alternative, a problematic dig directly under houses in a residential area just to make the turn onto 1st Avenue.

Does anyone know if they are considering reopening closed exits along the (G) ? It was mentioned they are considering reopening exits along the (J)(M)(Z) , and with the G using full-length trains they would be useful, especially at Metropolitan/Grand. This should be done anyway, L closure or not.

Edited by twarrior3dc

They have to since the (G) will be back to using full 10 car trains during the (L) closure.

Also, back to when the (G) was going to Coney Island, the riders were more spaced out in the stations and not crammed into one spot since it was using 10 car R160's. I saw a significant amount of less crowded trains during that G.O.

But isn't it supposed to connect to the (F) at 2nd Ave-Houston? I don't see it switching back from 1st Av to 2nd Av...

I think just making a slightly longer transfer at Third Avenue is worth the alternative, a problematic dig directly under houses in a residential area just to make the turn onto 1st Avenue.

There is a 1st Avenue/Allen Street exit to the (F) at Houston, so it would still have a transfer at 2nd Avenue, though it would actually be on the 1st Avenue side of the station if the SAS moved to 1st Avenue south of 23rd.  

This would really be so there can be a transfer to/from the (L) at 14th and allow those on Avenue A an easier time to get to the SAS by running it on 1st Avenue south of 23rd like the old 2nd Avenue EL did. 

This thread has nothing to do with any proposed route of the Second Avenue line. Please use the appropriate topic thread for continuing discussion of this matter.

There will be a day when machine learning and artificial intelligence will moderate forums. Those algorithms are going to read the post and kick it over to the right thread automatically.

• 2 weeks later...

That's during the upcoming Myrtle Ave closure. In all likelihood, the (M) will run 24/7 between Manhattan and the Myrtle Ave line for the duration of the 14th Street tunnel closure. The exact terminus for the off-hours service is obviously still to be determined as it will be contingent on any long-term projects in place at the time.

Edited by Lance

Wasn't the plan to have the (M) run to 96th Street on weekends since sending it to Forest Hills was pointless?

Nope, I'm pretty sure that's the foamer plan. I don't think that they've given specifics yet. 

Nope, I'm pretty sure that's the foamer plan. I don't think that they've given specifics yet.

What would make it a foamer plan? It’s quite logical. From the provided list of choices for a northern terminus, 96 Street is the least disruptive to through service and allows for the next shortest route while providing Manhattan service.

The only problem is the labeling. Give it a throw-away letter like (V) or make it a :M:.

Edited by CenSin