M5/M55 Split January 8, 2017

Union Tpke

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where on MTA.info do you find these? I checked the service changes site and all it had were 2013/14/15 archived bus service change notices.

The fact that he stole their own property and uses it as his own is hilarious enough, click/view baiting to the extreme.

Here's the best way to do it.

call the M55 as M6 instead. run it from 59th Street via 7th Ave-32nd St-Park Ave South-Broadway down to South Ferry. Then run straight up Church/6th Avs to 59th Street.

run the M5 down to Houston St.

extend the M1 back down Broadway to South Ferry, and north on Church/Worth/Centre Sts. 

M6 uses RTSs only and no hybrids.

there, everything is back to the way it should be

Here's the best way to do it.

call the M55 as M6 instead. run it from 59th Street via 7th Ave-32nd St-Park Ave South-Broadway down to South Ferry. Then run straight up Church/6th Avs to 59th Street.

run the M5 down to Houston St.

extend the M1 back down Broadway to South Ferry, and north on Church/Worth/Centre Sts. 

M6 uses RTSs only and no hybrids.

there, everything is back to the way it should be

You're overthinking a little too much with the RTS bit....

Supposedly low clearances on the underpasses through the park.

It's not really just low clearances. Motorcoaches go through there just fine.

The hybrids can run through there, but the issues is that they sway underneath the overpasses, causing a risk of damaging the batteries.

If XD40s make their way to Quill, I just wonder how that's gonna fair out since those XD40s sway with ease.

True, but those motorcoaches are going illegally. The signs posted warn of a 9' clearance at the small points, and that could be a ticket if a cop was being a stickler. Can't imagine a state agency like the MTA would be able to get away with breaking any rules like that too repeatedly.

The hybrids can run through there, but the issues is that they sway underneath the overpasses, causing a risk of damaging the batteries.

If XD40s make their way to Quill, I just wonder how that's gonna fair out since those XD40s sway with ease.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Quill borrow 4898 from Ulmer to test there?

True, but those motorcoaches are going illegally. The signs posted warn of a 9' clearance at the small points, and that could be a ticket if a cop was being a stickler. Can't imagine a state agency like the MTA would be able to get away with breaking any rules like that too repeatedly.

Don't be surprised if a Manhattan North Task Force or Central Park police decide to hit buses with tickets. They are going to find another way to the east side (Motorcoaches that is).

How are LFS with swaying? If quill is that special, maybe they can take some LFS (2011s, 2015, and/or future orders) for the two routes and call it a day.

Quill is one of the HQs....so yeah, they're that special.

The LFSs run through the transverses just fine. The LFSs are also much heavier than the Xcelsior, so the swaying wouldn't affect them.

Eventually, that M66/M72 will be all low floor. The optimal choice would have to be the LFS, unless they figure out a spec change that would make the 40ft Xcelsiors more solid, those damn buses sway in the wind when it goes over 35MPH, especially on bridges!

Quill is one of the HQs....so yeah, they're that special.

The LFSs run through the transverses just fine. The LFSs are also much heavier than the Xcelsior, so the swaying wouldn't affect them.

Eventually, that M66/M72 will be all low floor. The optimal choice would have to be the LFS, unless they figure out a spec change that would make the 40ft Xcelsiors more solid, those damn buses sway in the wind when it goes over 35MPH, especially on bridges!

No depot should be that special that they have such influence on what fleet they receive.  That's absurd.  It leads to other depots getting all of everyone else's garbage.  I'd be willing to wager a bet that if that was stopped, along with more consistent maintenance across the board that we'd have less bus shortages and borrowing going on.

No depot should be that special that they have such influence on what fleet they receive.  That's absurd.  It leads to other depots getting all of everyone else's garbage.  I'd be willing to wager a bet that if that was stopped, along with more consistent maintenance across the board that we'd have less bus shortages and borrowing going on.

If there are constraints however, accommodations have to be made. If a bus is too tall to fit under a bridge you simply can't have that bus be on the line. 

And it creates even more complacency in maintenance terms, because depots where mechanics do a good job see those coming from the "bad" depots as something to treat as "hands-off."  Why should they pick up the slack just to have the bus returned in a better condition, and it won't be kept that way anyways upon return.

If there are constraints however, accommodations have to be made. If a bus is too tall to fit under a bridge you simply can't have that bus be on the line. 

True, but with the amount of money spent shuttling buses between depots (and that practice will always continue), you really can't use that excuse.  If one or two depots have routes that have clearance issues, then buses that must be used on those routes should be left alone at those depots -- and should be available at all times at those depots.

That's an entirely different thing.  What we're talking about here is some depots getting preferential treatment when it comes to picking which buses they receive, and that shouldn't continue. Read my comments below to DetSMART on this.

And it creates even more complacency in maintenance terms, because depots where mechanics do a good job see those coming from the "bad" depots as something to treat as "hands-off."  Why should they pick up the slack just to have the bus returned in a better condition, and it won't be kept that way anyways upon return.

True, but with the amount of money spent shuttling buses between depots (and that practice will always continue), you really can't use that excuse.  If one or two depots have routes that have clearance issues, then buses that must be used on those routes should be left alone at those depots -- and should be available at all times at those depots.

You are absolutely right.  When I talk with guys from Yonkers, they moan to no end when they get hand-me-downs from other depots, and talk about how some depots have such horrendous maintenance, so as you said, you have this ongoing cycle of some depots passing on their garbage to other depots who then get to clean up the mess.  Now I will say that the bus fleet overall has improved considerably, but that doesn't mean that the maintenance standards are the same across the board.  There are still stark differences from depot to depot, and the (MTA) should address that.  It affects reliability, and on top of that, the riding public is paying for these buses (even if they're federally funded), so each community should have the opportunity to get to ride the latest fleet or at least decent fleet.  Communities that see the same tired fleet going through their neighborhood should be angry.  It sends a message (whether it's realized or not by the depots insisting on keeping RTS buses for example) that they don't matter, and then there are the communities that have complained for years about wanting more environmentally friendly buses because of high asthma rates.  I think as the older fleet are retired that will be less of an issue, and overall, reliability should continue to improve across the board.  I still remember the days of riding RTS buses that leaked everywhere when it rained, so some passenger either gets the pleasure of having to stand because of numerous seats being wet, or gets water all over them.  I haven't rode too many RTS buses of late, but I'm sure that is still an issue in some cases. I mean these buses are over 15 years old, so even if they run well, those sorts of issues are bound to pop up.  Those are the things that I'm sure aren't thought of when these depots go crazy over these buses.

Don't be surprised if a Manhattan North Task Force or Central Park police decide to hit buses with tickets. They are going to find another way to the east side (Motorcoaches that is).

Firstly, signs mean things. Not only what they say , but also what shape or color. White & yellow signs have different meanings. Whit signs in the NYS VTL for height are for the absolute height at that sign or arrow posted thereon & yellow for the lowest point on that structure, but may be taller at other points. Lastly, Now there the issue of CP transverses use by motorcoaches is of a franchise license by the NYCDOT, if so then the violation of posted heights are subject to what the the highest point is. I have taken MTA D4500 through the 66 St transverse (height 11'- 5") without issue. The key is "small points" that is not an overheight violation if the vehicle conforms to the appropriate signage or lack thereof at taller points of the structure. Just to clear that up.

That's an entirely different thing.  What we're talking about here is some depots getting preferential treatment when it comes to picking which buses they receive, and that shouldn't continue. Read my comments below to DetSMART on this.

You are absolutely right.  When I talk with guys from Yonkers, they moan to no end when they get hand-me-downs from other depots, and talk about how some depots have such horrendous maintenance, so as you said, you have this ongoing cycle of some depots passing on their garbage to other depots who then get to clean up the mess.  Now I will say that the bus fleet overall has improved considerably, but that doesn't mean that the maintenance standards are the same across the board.  There are still stark differences from depot to depot, and the (MTA) should address that.  It affects reliability, and on top of that, the riding public is paying for these buses (even if they're federally funded), so each community should have the opportunity to get to ride the latest fleet or at least decent fleet.  Communities that see the same tired fleet going through their neighborhood should be angry.  It sends a message (whether it's realized or not by the depots insisting on keeping RTS buses for example) that they don't matter, and then there are the communities that have complained for years about wanting more environmentally friendly buses because of high asthma rates.  I think as the older fleet are retired that will be less of an issue, and overall, reliability should continue to improve across the board.  I still remember the days of riding RTS buses that leaked everywhere when it rained, so some passenger either gets the pleasure of having to stand because of numerous seats being wet, or gets water all over them.  I haven't rode too many RTS buses of late, but I'm sure that is still an issue in some cases. I mean these buses are over 15 years old, so even if they run well, those sorts of issues are bound to pop up.  Those are the things that I'm sure aren't thought of when these depots go crazy over these buses.

The larger issue, though is the fact that NYCT charges MTAB money to lease these EOL buses. The embezzlement/fraud is the greater issue with handed down buses. That is for another time & discussion, what fans, buffs & the riding public should be angry at isn't what buses are where & how old? It should be why & how much $$$.

The larger issue, though is the fact that NYCT charges MTAB money to lease these EOL buses. The embezzlement/fraud is the greater issue with handed down buses. That is for another time & discussion, what fans, buffs & the riding public should be angry at isn't what buses are where & how old? It should be why & how much $$$.

It should be both. When I lived on Staten Island, there was a period when we had buses with busted shocks, no AC and the like, leading to downright dangerous situations. Thank God those days are over, but there is still a ways to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update: the signage for the new M55 and the shortened M5 are available on most buses.

As someone else stated prior, codes 1550 & 1551 are used. 1550 is the 31 St - 6 Av code. 1551 is for South Ferry.

The M5 codes are also available, but on the bus I checked them on, the old South Ferry local and Limited codes (1051 & 1053) are missing. The new M5 codes are (from what I remember, I could be off) 1058 & 1059.

They read as follows:

1058: M5      31 ST
                      6 AV

1059: M5 LIMITED | 31 ST

|  6 AV

1550: M55     41 ST

6 AV

1551: M55 SOUTH FERRY

I didn't check for any extra M55 codes, and the other short-turn codes for the M5 are the same.

Just an update: the signage for the new M55 and the shortened M5 are available on most buses.

As someone else stated prior, codes 1550 & 1551 are used. 1550 is the 31 St - 6 Av code. 1551 is for South Ferry.

The M5 codes are also available, but on the bus I checked them on, the old South Ferry local and Limited codes (1051 & 1053) are missing. The new M5 codes are (from what I remember, I could be off) 1058 & 1059.

They read as follows:

1058: M5 31 ST

6 AV

1059: M5 LIMITED | 31 ST

| 6 AV

1550: M55 41 ST

6 AV

1551: M55 SOUTH FERRY

I didn't check for any extra M55 codes, and the other short-turn codes for the M5 are the same.

Now would the M55 need a short turn code?

Archived