M5/M55 Split January 8, 2017

Union Tpke

160th to 100th Street is a little over 3 miles. There's barely any traffic along that part of Broadway, so you're talking about maybe a 20 minute gap tops (and buses are scheduled every 12 minutes heading southbound).

Let's be real here.  No one is waiting around for a bus for 20 minutes unless they have to.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Random BusTime checks on any route in the city these days would have me shaking my head so I'm not shocked in the slightest.

The point was made... The shit is pathetic.... Just when you thought the MTA couldn't do worse than an M5 from GWB to S. Ferry... Anyone of us can bring up the (last rendition of the) M5 being long winded, but inadequate service wasn't an issue.... Now, south of Midtown on this M55, it is....

No doubt in my mind more people will be either hoofing it out, or making their way to the Broadway line...

Let's be real here.  No one is waiting around for a bus for 20 minutes unless they have to.

...especially when service is supposed to be more frequent than that.

This is one facet of it all that pissing off so many bus riders in this city....

That's not too bad. The M55 moves up 6th Ave quickly, unless there's traffic going to the Holland tunnel blocking the intersection around Canal street and Watts St.  It probably moves down 5th and Broadway too.

No buses between Cortlandt & 23rd around 6PM is ridiculous.... No buses between 34th & City Hall is downright asinine.

There is no rationalizing this crap.

Regardless, the point was made....

...especially when service is supposed to be more frequent than that.

This is one facet of it all that pissing off so many bus riders in this city....

Last night I stayed in the city.  Took the M86 from the Upper West to the Upper East.  Looked to see if any M101s were coming OR anything for that matter, and all buses were over 20 minutes away, so I said ok, I'll make a stop for some snacks.  Made my stop and came out.  Put BusTime on again and there was still a 16 minute wait for the nearest M101.  This was well after rush hour too. Even with the shortening of routes, there's just too many gaps in service.  Apparently I missed two M101s before the last one.  

Last night I stayed in the city.  Took the M86 from the Upper West to the Upper East.  Looked to see if any M101s were coming OR anything for that matter, and all buses were over 20 minutes away, so I said ok, I'll make a stop for some snacks.  Made my stop and came out.  Put BusTime on again and there was still a 16 minute wait for the nearest M101.  This was well after rush hour too. Even with the shortening of routes, there's just too many gaps in service.  Apparently I missed two M101s before the last one.

The M101 arrives in droves when I don't need it (of at least 3+ buses).... I have no real use for the M102 outside of fanning..... The M103 seldom ever seems to come before a wave of 101's & 102's (combined).....

Do they still have M101's short turning all over the place during the day?

They won't be waiting the full 20 minutes unless they just missed the first bus. The average passenger would be waiting half the gap (10 minutes).

If a 20 minute gap on a 12 minute headway is the largest gap you can find, then if anything, the split was a success as far as the M5 is concerned. 

The M55 will operate local service at all times. The MTA is too stubborn and ignorant to admit the fact that discontinuing the M6 route was wrong and can

be corrected by reinstating the route, but we’ll see how this new M55 plays out.

So you're saying that the old M6, which used 7th Avenue (instead of 5th) between Central Park South & 23rd Street and had to detour all the way to Park to get back onto Broadway is better than the current M55 just because it's 15 blocks longer?

Anyway, I took a trip on the M55. I was thinking about taking the express bus, but I checked BusTime and saw that the M55 was one stop away, so I said screw it and fanned it down to South Ferry. There were 2 people already on the bus, and myself and another person got on at 33rd Street. One of those people got off at 29th Street I believe (basically, she was just using it as another 5th Avenue bus), the guy who got on with me got off at 10th Street, and the other woman rode it down to Chambers Street. Another passenger got on somewhere along Broadway in Greenwich Village to head to Cortlandt Street, and two other people got on at Chambers to South Ferry.

It was the evening time, so I guess it wasn't too surprising that only 7 people were picked up on that particular run. Now what's interesting (in a bad way) is that the woman who was going to Chambers Street said that she wasn't aware of the change, and asked three M5 drivers who had signs reading 31st Street what the deal was, and none of them answered her. A simple "wait for the M55" (since presumably, she was south of 44th Street) would've let her know. So that's one thing that's unnecessarily depressing the ridership on the M55 if this is the norm (M5 B/Os not letting passengers know that they need to take the M55 to continue south)

Runtime-wise, I got on at 33rd Street at around 8:15PM, and got to South Ferry at 8:54PM. (When I checked BusTime, there were two buses that were "1.4 miles away + layover", so there's your bunching right there).

So yeah, runtime and passenger awareness are definitely two issues that need to be addressed.

When I rode the M5 going downtown on Wednesday, the B/O made several announcements about the M5/M55 change, including where the route split is and know where to catch the M55, but some passengers were still confused and/or tuned out. Between 42nd and 34th, some riders got on asking if the bus was going all the way down even after he announced it multiple times while doing the best that he could.You have some B/O's that are trying.

The M101 arrives in droves when I don't need it (of at least 3+ buses).... I have no real use for the M102 outside of fanning..... The M103 seldom ever seems to come before a wave of 101's & 102's (combined).....

Do they still have M101's short turning all over the place during the day?

Yep, and some even run local and then turn into limiteds...

They won't be waiting the full 20 minutes unless they just missed the first bus. The average passenger would be waiting half the gap (10 minutes).

If a 20 minute gap on a 12 minute headway is the largest gap you can find, then if anything, the split was a success as far as the M5 is concerned.

You're welcome to play averages, but my point stands. Even if it's just half that would be waiting, many will give up. I also wonder how many people are using BusTime. There needs to be more countdown clocks. I see some along the M86. A lot of people are using BusTime, but plenty will not simply due to laziness and some are too inept or too old. That's why I wrote my representatives to urge them to allocate funds for such things in my area. We need more of them across the city.

It looks like the delays are affecting buses pretty late into the evening. The last M55 of the night is running around 10-15 minutes late. (I saw a delay on BusTime the other day, where the last bus was about 15 minutes late, and the second-to-last bus was about 40 minutes late). With all this lateness affecting bus drivers towards the end of their shift (and causing the MTA to have to pay them overtime), I'm wondering how much money they're actually saving (not to mention the obvious revenue loss if bus passengers switch to cabs/Uber instead of the subway)

Both operator's and passengers are complaining a LOT about the unreliability of this line.

From what I've been told, this schedule is based of the M5 LIMITED

Not local. So of course MTA shot themselves in the toe with this one.

South of 14 st there's no other routes... And when guys are instructed to turn around earlier, that leaves customers stranded....

They have to make changes. Soon

It looks like the delays are affecting buses pretty late into the evening. The last M55 of the night is running around 10-15 minutes late. (I saw a delay on BusTime the other day, where the last bus was about 15 minutes late, and the second-to-last bus was about 40 minutes late). With all this lateness affecting bus drivers towards the end of their shift (and causing the MTA to have to pay them overtime), I'm wondering how much money they're actually saving (not to mention the obvious revenue loss if bus passengers switch to cabs/Uber instead of the subway)

Well weren't you the one saying that the delays weren't a big deal?  I was the one saying that people weren't going to be waiting for buses that were delayed like that.  A bus scheduled every 15 minutes most of the day that is 10 - 15 minutes late... Even if the person isn't waiting the entire 25 - 30 minutes, it's still unlikely that they will wait unless they have no other options.  I don't think they did this to save money either.  They did this so that they can cut more service from the M55 portion citing poor ridership.  Just watch.

Both operator's and passengers are complaining a LOT about the unreliability of this line.

From what I've been told, this schedule is based of the M5 LIMITED

Not local. So of course MTA shot themselves in the toe with this one.

South of 14 st there's no other routes... And when guys are instructed to turn around earlier, that leaves customers stranded....

They have to make changes. Soon

lol... The line was set up to fail and you don't need to look at a thousand figures like RailRunRob insisted.  If you actually ride buses like I do, it's a no brainer.

So, I rode the M55 uptown. I boarded at 1:39 and got off at 2:23. Some passengers were aware of the change, but unhappy that they had to transfer. One woman had to go to 46th, but our bus short-turned at 42nd which was not good even though it's two blocks south of the terminal, but still. She suggested that the M55 should run all the way up Columbus Circle or at least 57th.

Even before, I got on, I checked bustime around 1:30 and saw four uptown buses bunched on 6 Ave and only one going down. Traffic wasn't that bad, so I not sure what caused all the gaps.

As others have said, this line needs better scheduling, dispatching, and restructured runtime.

So, I rode the M55 uptown. I boarded at 1:39 and got off at 2:23. Some passengers were aware of the change, but unhappy that they had to transfer. One woman had to go to 46th, but our bus short-turned at 42nd which was not good even though it's two blocks south of the terminal, but still. She suggested that the M55 should run all the way up Columbus Circle or at least 57th.

Even before, I got on, I checked bustime around 1:30 and saw four uptown buses bunched on 6 Ave and only one going down. Traffic wasn't that bad, so I not sure what caused all the gaps.

As others have said, this line needs better scheduling, dispatching, and runtime.

And so we continue to see that people think that the M6 should just be re-instated... lol That's basically what she's looking for.

Archived