Gun Hill <-----> Kingsbridge

I Run Trains

[cut for forum space]

Just wanted to reply to this to say that I'm horrified to hear this news, and while I haven't spoken too much with you on the forums, always admired your expertise and knowledge of this system when you posted. Wish you the best care you can get and appreciate you even taking the time to still post here. Disgusting to hear about the way the MTA has treated you.

Reading this and above, the MTA can really get back at Westchester, by implementing a new fare system, and not allowing Bee-Line to adopt it. However this would probably hurt the local people more than anything. However, it would definitely flag the fools that run Westchester.

Also reading above, NYC should start cracking down on Bee-Line. Many of these buses double park blocking roads, and make illegal U-Turns too. 

The u-turns are legal & have signs posted at the location or are listed in the traffic rules for NYC. NYC or some Westchester municipalities have removed or never provided a bus layover area. NYC in particular have been reducing or totally removing bus layover areas since the MTA Bus take over. NYCDOT feels that the last stop or first stop is a suitable stand location, then they combine a MTA stop with the same, then MTA complains to Bee-Line & in turn are not allowed to layover at a location that was suitable since buses & wheel. NYCDOT & MTA do not provide a remedy, so what is left is chancing on double parking as that won't generate an inter-agency complaint.  Where should the bus lay over? What in "your opinion"  constitutes an illegal u-turn? Because your perception IS NOT the traffic rues of NYC, enabled by the home rule statue of the laws on NYS. I can name the location & you can check those rules that also include the height of every single overpass & elevated structure & the device governing such. It was one of those books that the NYPD handed me when I became an APO.

It even states what buses are permitted otherwise prohibited turns & u-turns. W242 St & B'Way has a sign that even states buses may turn from the outer roadway S/B to left turn ON RED. Riverdale & Ellsworth Aves. in Yonkers permits U-turns at that location as it is NOT a commercial business dist. therefore U-turns are legal as per NYS VTL thus not signage needed also MYA NYCT & Bus company use that location, more often. Bivona Pl./ Secor Housing enabled by the traffic rules of NYC & NYS VTL same as Riverdale & Ellsworth. Hope this all clears up your "opinion" opposed to the facts stated above. Maybe we should crack down on the NYCDOT for creating the bus parking conditions & not remedy them as their enormous budget dictates. Or simply just require the NYCDOT do it's job working with public transit instead of against it as "ZERO Vision" has continued to do.

Thank You MHV9218, I appreciate your kind words & well wishes. As I say to the MTA when dealing with their criminal actors, I say "MTA ain't found a way to kill met yet!"

The swap of the Bx39 & 41 is the opposite of what should be done. They should send the 12 to KB in order to only have one depot with a segregated fleet. These swaps are the result of implementing +Stupid Bull Shit (ahem) +Select Bus Service. KB will have in the future +SBS on the Bx1/2 so make KB the +SBS fleet for The Bronx. The Bx1/2, 12, 40/42 & 41 can easily be available from KB. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Well Firstly This talk about Yonkers closing down is getting old, 12 years old on January 3rd. This remaining to be seen is not being seen. The City of Yonkers lost their eminent domain case against NYC & MTA Bus. LOST the case about 8 months ago, the argument by Yonkers was flatly denied in the Judges' decision. Also the judge ruled that this was solely for private gain, not public. This was based of the business plan clearly aimed at non-Yonkers residents being the target market for the new project, also the fact that the depot would pay more in taxes that the new property owners for at least a 10 year period the loss of depot employees would be consisting of a majority of Westchester & Yonkers residents. Further the judge recognized that there is no financial backing for such a property due to being (after Hurricane Sandy) designated by FEMA as a flood stage A. No bank or insurance company will insure a flood plain of that type (Yonkers Depot flooded up to 75 ft from the MNRR Hudson Line). The City of Yonkers would have to pay for the depot, land & temporary depot while the new is built, which they have said NO f**kING WAY (Yonkers is still a corrupt city, "the city of hill where nothing is on the level")! because the MTA has quoted Yonkers to cost about $75-100 Million & $150 with the temp. depot! Most runs on the BxM11 do NOT Start a BxM4's, just 3 Weekdays & 2 on Saturday, runs run on to the 4 from the depot or DHD to 28th (in the PM). It has gotten nasty already, Yonkers is getting cops to pull over MTA Buses & parking tickets for buses parked in bus stops(there are no bus layovers in Yonkers that are signed as such, so MTA buses are getting tickets in the bus layover area in Getty Square and even in one case servicing the first stop with passengers boarding. Don't have an incident in Yonkers, the Yonkers cops take the other persons side every time. You should've been concerned when the MTA took over in the first place, Eastchester is the least of your worries. The MTA ruined service the day they took over. No this isn't anything to do with the amalgamation of Yonkers & NYC over a century ago, NYC doesn't hold that type of grudge. The MTA on the other hand does. On the another subject go ahead write the Gov., I'm sure he will give a shit about RTS buses. Soon as he see that they are more reliable MDBF than the POS Orion hybrids, he will understand that a 20 Y/O bus is the best example of a perfect bus $$$ wise, especially when a hybrid package cost $98,000 when it shits the bed. When I was division shifter, I cost MTA Bus about $800,000 in blown hybrid drive components in 6 months. Because when you have to drive a hybrid from Queens to Ronkonkama for engine work, on the LIE they blow traction generators and or traction motors. So VG8 keep wishing the RTS gone, you'll get a nice hybrid that will shit the bed on the Johnson Ave or Riverdale Avenue hills & with twice the cost of maintenance now that they are all of warranty & very costly to repair so they sit for weeks at a time waiting for the parts at such high cost, that they blow depot budgets apart, ooh & the NG's loves to break engine cradles from new. Now with that said, I am announcing my early retirement due to disability as a result of a very serious terminal illness. I just wanted to get somethings straight before my value to this board is non-existent as no longer being an active MTA employee. My hiatus from this board was due to both illness & working lots of OT. Most OT was on LIRR & MNRR shuttles on weekends, leaving little time for posting. However I did monitor this board & will continue to do so. Fantasy is one thing, but I was in the reality of how the MTA runs things. Seeing how they run things & many of the complaints directed at employees who get to suffer as much & more so than those here of the "customers", played a part in my hiatus, because amount of the posts here are just too monuments to react to. Also, the MTA does discipline & monitor such forums as this for inside information, provided by employees. The MTA believes that once you sign to take the job, you sign your rights away & they own every aspect of your life. In my case I have to be dying to be free & have my rights back. The way the MTA operates MTA Bus is wholly criminal in nature & tantamount to a RICO defined organization, that is why I have yet to see a pension check since I put my papers in August & they have stopped my medical coverage in October. The MTA felt they can administratively terminate an employee while they process that employees disability pension. Not challenge the decision of the Social Security Administration, but simply just not fulfill their responsibility to do what they are required to do. There was no problem with paperwork or timeliness of submission, no questions of merit, fraud or eligibility about the severity of my illness & no denial of such application of request. The MTA just doesn't follow the laws, rules & obligations that afford me my pension & continued health benefits. The desperately medical needed coverage for treatment that keeps me alive are used as retaliation for challenging my discipline, through the proper channels in the contract for absenteeism during medical episodes, including the time I was in a coma. The MTA spends taxpayer money to attempt to suspend an employee for being in a coma, or even for being absent on disability, workers comp. & FMLA. This agency takes an arbitration ruling to simply pay an employee for work they did. Yes the MTA tries to get out of paying employees for work that was actually done. They are fined thousands of dollars regularly for not paying court ordered workers compensation cases. They spend thousands more following employees who are (in my case terminally ill) out sick. I had an AGM who felt that I was fit for duty coughing up blood & subsequently in a coma. This while that AGM was intoxicated during the hearing. When the MTA says that employees are where the money goes, that is where. Hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on hearings, arbitration sessions & IG investigators following sick employees, that their own medical staff say are not fit for duty. Rant over, now I return you to you regularly scheduled programming. 

You look familiar... Actually like two guys, but I think I know who you are since the other guy doesn't wear that hat and I've likely had you on the BxM4.  All I can say is if you're who I think you are, you're quite the character!  LOL!  The passengers that I've spoken with certainly had a lot to say about you. lol If you're the Puerto Rican guy I'm thinking about, well I see you around Riverdale a lot and we talk from time to time since we know each other, but I haven't seen you in a while, so all the best either way.  As for the BxM11 turning into "a lot of" BxM4's I know why I said that, and it was because it seemed that every BxM4 that I took from Woodlawn was previously a BxM11, so that stood out as a lot, but in reality isn't.  I wasn't talking about the ones doing Northbound trips, but as you know there is actually a good deal of mixing up that goes on anyway between routes.  I've had guys on the BxM4 who I then got on the BxM2 later going home and so on.  As for the RTS buses, it is simply time for them to go.  It has nothing to do with me liking hybrids or any other bus more, and quite frankly the new buses are garbage overall, but nevertheless, my thinking is that in the future the (MTA) will be forced (like many other agencies) to replace their fleet sooner than they're used to.  As for the saga with Yonkers, I honestly haven't been speaking with any of my buddies on the issue since I haven't been seeing them regularly.  I saw one of them on the BxM4 the other night, but we didn't chat since I wasn't on very long, and it's been hard to find anything online about this situation, so that's for that update.  

No it's not. Most deadheads would occur from 241st Street, which in terms of time, is like 15-20 minutes of a deadhead. Not that big of a deal. The Clason Point deadhead would be longer(if its chosen to be a deadhead point).

Basically, the DH to GH or KB from Wakefield wouldn't be much of a problem, it's the same time either way. Operators also tend to DH in different ways.

There's much longer deadheads than that, especially on Staten Island.

My friend also told me that the Bx39 would get an hour to deadhead over to 241st. and the switch goes into effect Jan 8

My friend also told me that the Bx39 would get an hour to deadhead over to 241st. and the switch goes into effect Jan 8

Why an hour?  That means they must deadhead another way aside from what Cait described, which if they do is suicide.  White Plains Rd is ALWAYS a mess because of how narrow the street is under the (2)(5) line, so everything crawls most of the way.  

Why an hour?  That means they must deadhead another way aside from what Cait described, which if they do is suicide.  White Plains Rd is ALWAYS a mess because of how narrow the street is under the (2)(5) line, so everything crawls most of the way.  

Traffic Purposes at certain times! But when i Lived on Gun Hill Road When the 41 deadhead, it would come down Gun hill Rd.  so i can only assume that the 39 would do the same BUT while going to 241, coming down Gun Hill Rd make a left on Webster and right on Nereid and Left on 241.. Going Under White Plans will kill them

No Deegan! No bus on freeway or parkway unless specifically authorized!

Buses need special NYCDOT-issued permits for parkways (because of the numerous low overpasses — thank you, Robert Moses). They don't need special permits for expressways and interstates because buses and trucks are normally allowed on those roads anyway. If NYCT decides tomorrow that buses should use the Deegan to travel to and from KB, then buses will use the Deegan to travel to and from KB.

As an example in Queens, Q46 buses have special permission to deadhead on the Grand Central Parkway between Exit 15 (Queens Blvd) and Exit 24 (Little Neck Parkway), and the permit is worded specifically to allow only that section of the GCP. Meanwhile, Q27 buses can deadhead on the Clearview Expressway without needing any special permits at all. 

Buses need special NYCDOT-issued permits for parkways (because of the numerous low overpasses — thank you, Robert Moses). They don't need special permits for expressways and interstates because buses and trucks are normally allowed on those roads anyway. If NYCT decides tomorrow that buses should use the Deegan to travel to and from KB, then buses will use the Deegan to travel to and from KB.

As an example in Queens, Q46 buses have special permission to deadhead on the Grand Central Parkway between Exit 15 (Queens Blvd) and Exit 24 (Little Neck Parkway), and the permit is worded specifically to allow only that section of the GCP. Meanwhile, Q27 buses can deadhead on the Clearview Expressway without needing any special permits at all. 

There's probably a bulletin out in regards to highway deadheading. Remember, most TA city buses can only do 40, so it might be a safety issue.

You mean New York State. NYC doesn't really have any jurisdiction when it comes to Bee-Line except for the routes that run into The Bronx and Manhattan. Most of the jurisdiction goes to Westchester County and the state.

I was specially talking about NYC borders, apologies if it wasn't clear.  

The u-turns are legal & have signs posted at the location or are listed in the traffic rules for NYC. NYC or some Westchester municipalities have removed or never provided a bus layover area. NYC in particular have been reducing or totally removing bus layover areas since the MTA Bus take over. NYCDOT feels that the last stop or first stop is a suitable stand location, then they combine a MTA stop with the same, then MTA complains to Bee-Line & in turn are not allowed to layover at a location that was suitable since buses & wheel. NYCDOT & MTA do not provide a remedy, so what is left is chancing on double parking as that won't generate an inter-agency complaint.  Where should the bus lay over? What in "your opinion"  constitutes an illegal u-turn? Because your perception IS NOT the traffic rues of NYC, enabled by the home rule statue of the laws on NYS. I can name the location & you can check those rules that also include the height of every single overpass & elevated structure & the device governing such. It was one of those books that the NYPD handed me when I became an APO.

It even states what buses are permitted otherwise prohibited turns & u-turns. W242 St & B'Way has a sign that even states buses may turn from the outer roadway S/B to left turn ON RED. Riverdale & Ellsworth Aves. in Yonkers permits U-turns at that location as it is NOT a commercial business dist. therefore U-turns are legal as per NYS VTL thus not signage needed also MYA NYCT & Bus company use that location, more often. Bivona Pl./ Secor Housing enabled by the traffic rules of NYC & NYS VTL same as Riverdale & Ellsworth. Hope this all clears up your "opinion" opposed to the facts stated above. Maybe we should crack down on the NYCDOT for creating the bus parking conditions & not remedy them as their enormous budget dictates. Or simply just require the NYCDOT do it's job working with public transit instead of against it as "ZERO Vision" has continued to do.

Thank You MHV9218, I appreciate your kind words & well wishes. As I say to the MTA when dealing with their criminal actors, I say "MTA ain't found a way to kill met yet!"

Thanks for the insight, guess there is more to it than I'm aware.

But, my issue is simply with the disrespect Yonkers is giving the MTA, I'm surprised that nothing is being done against Bee Line especially when double parking allows only the left turn lane to get by. In that specific case they actually are blocking traffic. 

I was specially talking about NYC borders, apologies if it wasn't clear.  

Thanks for the insight, guess there is more to it than I'm aware.

But, my issue is simply with the disrespect Yonkers is giving the MTA, I'm surprised that nothing is being done against Bee Line especially when double parking allows only the left turn lane to get by. In that specific case they actually are blocking traffic. 

Sounds similar to our "upscale", hoity-toity city of Birmingham, where the business owners complain about SMART buses supposedly causing traffic disruptions.  However, at the one spot cited, on southbound there's a bus stop cut-in that THE CITY created, except no bus can actually pull-in/out because THE CITY has metered parking spots that block it.  (It probably is only 40 feet long, when you need at a minimum 60 feet.)  And on the northbound side, THE CITY could remove enough metered parking to allow buses to pull to the curb and allow traffic flow, but THE CITY chooses not to.  (Not that the city ever explains that to the business owners, because my goodness, that would mean they're responsible for the problem to begin with.)

NYC could just play tough with Westchester/Bee-Line and sic the NYPD/MTA Police onto their buses, which would be more than justified.

lol... The situation with the city of Yonkers is a complex one.  Westchester County has been accused of not being diverse enough (to put it lightly) as many towns have significantly high percentages of White residents, while low percentages of other minorities (i.e. Asians, Blacks and Latinos). In an attempt to diversify towns that are extremely wealthy (Scarsdale, Bronxville, Irvington and many others come to mind), the federal government stepped in and created a mandate that says that Westchester must build a certain amount of affordable units in these wealthy areas.  Westchester has countered by trying to side step the whole thing and dump all of the affordable housing in Yonkers or in areas away from anything of interest.  This attempt to acquire waterfront property may or may not be tied to this, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.  The waterfront properties they would like to build I would imagine would raise prices in the area and perhaps impact prices overall.

Getting back on topic....

Both the Bx41 local and SBS are departing from KB.

Makes me wonder if there will be any specific fleet swaps other than the SBS Novas to GH.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Probably the remaining LFSA and some D60s. The XD60s I don't see moving as they are supposed to head to Brooklyn soon.

That doesn't make sense anyway since a lot of BxM11 buses deadhead and turn into BxM4 buses starting at the Woodlawn/Yonkers border.  The deadhead isn't that bad even for the ones that go back to Yonkers Depot.  As for all express buses going to Eastchester than remains to be seen.  That will depend heavily on what the (MTA) and the city of Yonkers agrees to. They haven't yet figured out what to do.  The city of Yonkers wants the land so that they can redevelop it for apartments near the Hudson and the (MTA) wants a new depot build nearby should they give up that land.  I am concerned about reliability with having buses coming from Eastchester, so I've been following this closely.

This may get nasty though:

http://westfaironline.com/71288/yonkers-to-new-york-city-well-take-mta-property/

Make America Great Again: Yonkers is so small that they carry 81 express buses for its 6 routes. You put buses in EC is gonna be a problem. THINK from 1998 to 2003, 2/3 of the entire Bronx routes of MABSTOA was based out of both KB & GH and problems and scheduling delays were the norm.

IF the MTA is going to expand bus service, tear the old Yonkers Depot down and build a larger Yonkers Depot so that not only 81 express buses can fit, 120 standard buses can be housed for future routes.

So I agree with you in that situation.

Make America Great Again: Yonkers is so small that they carry 81 express buses for its 6 routes. You put buses in EC is gonna be a problem. THINK from 1998 to 2003, 2/3 of the entire Bronx routes of MABSTOA was based out of both KB & GH and problems and scheduling delays were the norm.

IF the MTA is going to expand bus service, tear the old Yonkers Depot down and build a larger Yonkers Depot so that not only 81 express buses can fit, 120 standard buses can be housed for future routes.

I think bigger and better is a must with any depot.

Weren't some Bronx routes with Hale and Amsterdam?

Yeah, mostly the interborough ones, right?

Only the Bx6, Bx15, Bx19, Bx21, Bx33 were ran out of Manhattan depots. Bx32 saw some operations from MCH mid-2000s.

Oddly enough, from the archives I gathered, back when Colosseum was open, the Bx33 was the only depot that was not moved from the Bronx. It probably was never in a bronx depot until Hale closed.

I believe that the Bx33 should come out of one of the Manhattan depots (either hale or MCH), because the very first trip starts in Manhattan, then goes back from Port Morris to Harlem. At night, the very last trip to Port Morris goes back to Harlem (and there is another trip after that). That's how it's operated on weekdays; on weekends, the first and last buses leave from both ends at the same time. It's a much longer DH to WF from there than to MHV or MCH. 

Some of the Bx9 can be operated by WF to compensate for the loss of the Bx33, and then to compensate for that loss, some of the M3 can be operated from KB. 

I believe that the Bx33 should come out of one of the Manhattan depots (either hale or MCH), because the very first trip starts in Manhattan, then goes back from Port Morris to Harlem. At night, the very last trip to Port Morris goes back to Harlem (and there is another trip after that). That's how it's operated on weekdays; on weekends, the first and last buses leave from both ends at the same time. It's a much longer DH to WF from there than to MHV or MCH. 

Some of the Bx9 can be operated by WF to compensate for the loss of the Bx33, and then to compensate for that loss, some of the M3 can be operated from KB. 

MCH has a artificial "capacity" limit as a community concession. Otherwise, there is no need to "compensate" for anything because NYCT is allowed to move work around as needed. (The contract has a "management rights" clause which basically acknowledges management's right to manage.)

Archived