R160 on the F News: Heard from crew member at CI

MTR Admiralty

I was doing some railfanning with R160 8713 today and we decided to wait an hour for the R32 to pull up on da Fiona. There was a crew member on the line and he was waiting for his train to come in. Noticing how we were train buffs, he told us this piece of intel:

-He had R160 Qualification Classes

-The R160s dat will run on da fiona will be based out of Ave X

-They will begin running January 2009.

As for which types (A2 or B), he doesn't know.

thats all i got! :D

they will have enough. more cars are constanly coming in. and theyre are options for more 160A's and B's on this order. cars are still being speed tested in broad channel. if theyre to start 160 service on the (F)ox in January, definatly dont expect to see every train a 160. i take the (J) everyday and there are still 42's running on both the (J) and (Z) lines. i honestly think they will start 160s on the (F) with only 5 ten car sets. Just enough to introduce them on that line

I doubt an (F) will get an R160 there isnt enogh cars to get to the (F)

like 35 cars to be delivered for R160A

and 120 sumin of 160B i think

will that cover for the (F) or just some?

IMO, they would debut soon, however not da entire line

jus enuff cars to replace da R32s, perhaps a few xtras... da 46s r intact, tho

they will have enough. more cars are constanly coming in. and theyre are options for more 160A's and B's on this order. cars are still being speed tested in broad channel. if theyre to start 160 service on the (F)ox in January, definatly dont expect to see every train a 160. i take the (J) everyday and there are still 42's running on both the (J) and (Z) lines. i honestly think they will start 160s on the (F) with only 5 ten car sets. Just enough to introduce them on that line

cant b sure abt da option orders... gotta wait till A-2 is finished

yes... i saw a set on da siding north of b/channel.

correct, not EVERY train is 160... 46s will stay on da line.

da remaining 42's on da janet nd zoe will be xferred to jamaica yard or pitkin. soon all of ENY will b 160s.

IMO, they wood only replace da 32s with da 160s... nd hav an extra set of two for service +s.

well if thats the case that means half of the 46 sould be placed on the (A) or (C) unless the 42s take over so that leaves the (G) seeing that it runs on 4-6 cars

I posted more info of this up on my photo thread but he said that classes were 3 days a week and the R160s will run on the (F) by January '09. For anyone who doesn't know they will run out of Ave. X Yard, and there will only be about 5-10 R160 sets on the line - enough to replace all the R32s.

well if thats the case that means half of the 46 sould be placed on the (A) or (C) unless the 42s take over so that leaves the (G) seeing that it runs on 4-6 cars

i doubt da 46s will be on da adrian/charlie.

the 46s are not going anywhere yet.

nd da (G) will b xferred to CI in da near future, which means, it will use 68 consists, i believe.

Don't think the F will be fully R160. It may be just a couple of surprise trains.

correct.

da R160s will only replace the R32s dat are already on da line

There will be the usual R46s of couse we'll just have to say bye-bye to our R32 on the (F)ox. I mean R46 on the (F) are as common as a tornado in Texas...

or russian airplanes in alaskan airspace.

hmm... wat abt emily nd rebecca?

The (:D possibly since it's out of CI. Anything's possible, but there's no reason the (D) would have to use much else but the R-68s from Concourse. You can't make assumptions based on the route-markers or C/R boards for the R-160s. They're in many places where they don't run in case of reroutes. The BMT Southern Division lines have 8-car R-160 C/R boards, but none see 8-car R-160s other than the West End to Bay Pkwy. Just in case an (M) is sent down the Sea Beach or to 95th St, it will be able to operate.

i would just assume basically since the total of 160s will be 1662 cars total after the options that, like the 142s on the IRT, almost every line will have them in service in some way. its called preparation. the boards are on both levels of W4th on all tracks. and when have you seen a 160 @W4 other than the test on the A?

well yea, hav u thought abt running 480ft trains on 6th ave?

its dun b4 wit da K service in the 70s

6th Ave is not the problem, it's Queens Blvd...can't run a 480 foot train up there because of passenger capacity issues particularly around the rush.

Archived