2016 Best & Worst Subway Lines...

JubaionBx12+SBS

(Q) is the dirtiest, not surprised with the amount of people that eat them peanuts and seeds and spit the shells onto the floor.

and (E) trains are the smelliest. It's like they don't even try to change the mopwater anymore. X-X

The (1) is one of the few lines that doesn't operate at or just under capacity, being tied for the fourth least-crowded line with the (J) and only slightly more crowded than the (G). That's why it generally runs so smoothly, even with old cars. It is the only IRT line operating under 90% maximum loading (78%, to be exact) and one of only two (along with the (6)) operating under 100%. It's worth noting that the other top lines (the (L) and (7)) are also the only other non-shuttle lines that never interact with other lines during normal service. Interlining has its pluses, but it also allows delays to propagate throughout the system.

but is it fair to compare it to the (G) which is only half a train?

That's the problem with the (MTA) though. They way that they treat subway lines should change.  While the (5) may be a "help" line, but it is the MAIN line for people who need East Side access that live in the East Bronx or the Northeast parts of the Bronx.  IMO it's absurd to have to take Metro-North just to have a reliable commute, but when I had to commute to areas near Morris Park, my only reliable option was either the express bus or Metro-North. 

Express buses in this corridor seem to snag once they go over the Willis Avenue Bridge and it's both annoying and painful because you're just off the EXPWY hoping for continuum and you don't get it.

I would advocate for 2% hikes for MNR zone 2 because I also agree that the (5) is a case for "Dyre" Nightmare Fuel. It's out of service 75% of weekends in a year and about 50% of weekdays because of  a downed tree, unruly pax, or signal failure after a light rain (like today).

The prior weekend service changes for Bronx Lcl service made NO sense.

The main issue with the (1) is overcrowding.  It runs well but I think gentrification is starting to catch up.  They will likely have to start more trains at 137th street to deal with that.  In addition to the gentrification, poor express bus service is also pushing more people to the (1) line in my neighborhood.  I see quite a few people that used to take the express bus in the morning now opting for the (1) line and then taking the express bus home.

the 1 is very unbalanced.  Coming down from upper Manhattan in the morning the trains are packed, but on the southern end you have just a handful of people per car.  if they could figure out a way to send some of those 1 trains back uptown easily to help that crowding it would probably work better

the 1 is very unbalanced.  Coming down from upper Manhattan in the morning the trains are packed, but on the southern end you have just a handful of people per car.  if they could figure out a way to send some of those 1 trains back uptown easily to help that crowding it would probably work better

They're going to have to do something because it is only going to get worse.  They need to start more trains at 137th street, though my preference would be 157th or 145th street, because that's where the crowds usually start to pick up.  The other thing that is insane is that in Washington Heights, you have people that use the (1) train over the local buses to go from 181st to 168th.  It's just another example of how our buses don't complement our subway lines, leading to a system that becomes more and more packed with people that could use other means to get around.

Quite frankly it would be nice if some sort of express service existed for riders getting on between 231st and 242nd, but that will likely never happen.  

Express buses in this corridor seem to snag once they go over the Willis Avenue Bridge and it's both annoying and painful because you're just off the EXPWY hoping for continuum and you don't get it.

I would advocate for 2% hikes for MNR zone 2 because I also agree that the (5) is a case for "Dyre" Nightmare Fuel. It's out of service 75% of weekends in a year and about 50% of weekdays because of  a downed tree, unruly pax, or signal failure after a light rain (like today).

The prior weekend service changes for Bronx Lcl service made NO sense.

Which express buses are these?  The only bus that used to use the Willis Avenue Bridge with any regularity was the BxM1, and that didn't last very long because of the severe traffic delays and mountain of complaints from riders.

As for MNR hikes, they need to improve service along the Harlem line.  They started with a few stations like Tremont and Melrose giving them hourly service instead every two hours in some cases, but Fordham shouldn't get all of the service.  I would increase service to two trains an hour for stations like Botanical Garden, Woodlawn, Williamsbridge and Wakefield. The Wakefield station would definitely see more usage since the station is very close to the Westchester border which people currently use.

Yeah, the (1) is well under capacity south of 34 St because of the 8 Ave Line. Unfortunately, the (1) can't short-turn at 14 St because the express tracks are in the way.

The (A) has dropped off a cliff in the last 4 years or so.  Too many timers, infrequent service.  I have had to wait 15-20 minutes for an (A) during rush hour plenty of times.  Something really needs to be done.  The (1) also has problems north of 96th- bunching downtown results in battery runs uptown, and vice versa.  The (9) failed only because the skip-stop pattern was poorly configured- if the TA were to do a pilot program of peak-direction express service between 145th and 96th, I'm quite sure it would balance things out (we can forget about Dyckman to 242nd, that track is only useful for non-revenue moves).  Currently, it takes far too much time and far too many stops to get from north of 145th to midtown during rush hour.

I would support (1) express service, but the stations between 137 and 103 Sts are too heavily utilized to skip. The real issue is that there's too few trains (only 18 tph) on the line in general. I think service will be increased in the next schedule changes, which is a good start.

As for Washington Heights riders, more people should be taking the (A) to Midtown, since it's unquestionably faster even with the timers. The MTA should definitely get rid of those, though.

Yeah, the (1) is well under capacity south of 34 St because of the 8 Ave Line. Unfortunately, the (1) can't short-turn at 14 St because the express tracks are in the way.

I would support (1) express service, but the stations between 137 and 103 Sts are too heavily utilized to skip. The real issue is that there's too few trains (only 18 tph) on the line in general. I think service will be increased in the next schedule changes, which is a good start.

As for Washington Heights riders, more people should be taking the (A) to Midtown, since it's unquestionably faster even with the timers. The MTA should definitely get rid of those, though.

That's easier said than done.  Geography plays a big role in who takes what up there, and while the (A) should be faster than the (1), sometimes with the waits and trains being held, the (1) is much quicker.

I don't know if 8th Avenue really is faster to Midtown.  Anyone who's had to transfer from the (1) at 168th Street and wait 5-10 minutes for an (A) train that won't even go above 25 MPH until about 103rd Street would tell you otherwise.  The TA definitely needs to get rid of some of the timers over there.  They should only leave the timers that are absolutely indispensable- sharp curves, certain switches, and so on.

As for the (1) stations having more ridership south of 145th, that's all fine and well, but it's important to understand that those living north of 145th have a longer commute simply because of distance.  Why should someone getting on at Dyckman or 238th be subjected to those 5 stops between 145th and 96th they don't need when those can be skipped?

10-12 minutes saved might not seem like a big difference, but frequency is pointless if it means making an excessive amount of stops. 

Which express buses are these?  The only bus that used to use the Willis Avenue Bridge with any regularity was the BxM1, and that didn't last very long because of the severe traffic delays and mountain of complaints from riders.

It's been a while since I relied on express buses. Too expensive, too clunky. I also took the Bee-Line #28 into the city a few times, which is where my gripes originate.

As for MNR hikes, they need to improve service along the Harlem line.  They started with a few stations like Tremont and Melrose giving them hourly service instead every two hours in some cases, but Fordham shouldn't get all of the service.  I would increase service to two trains an hour for stations like Botanical Garden, Woodlawn, Williamsbridge and Wakefield. The Wakefield station would definitely see more usage since the station is very close to the Westchester border which people currently use.

Do you think there should be a Freedom Ticket proposal for Zone 2? I also think that on Holidays Zones 3-5 should be included in the cost of a monthly, which will rise to $121 in about ten weeks. LIRR is more complicated and since the Bee-Line is the ONLY agency in ninety miles that takes holidays off, I think it would be viable.

Do you think there should be a Freedom Ticket proposal for Zone 2? I also think that on Holidays Zones 3-5 should be included in the cost of a monthly, which will rise to $121 in about ten weeks. LIRR is more complicated and since the Bee-Line is the ONLY agency in ninety miles that takes holidays off, I think it would be viable.

Well there probably should be some sort of proposal for Zone 1 and 2 for Metro-North.  There are times when I've forgotten my monthly pass at home, and the thought of paying $9.25 twice for such a mistake is kind of hard to swallow, and that's not including the $2.75 each way for the shuttle bus which I sometimes pay when I purchase a pay-per-ride instead of an express bus pass (depends on how much traveling I plan on doing during the week).  You can do quite a bit with $18.50.  

The cost is definitely pushing people onto the subway and that's a problem.  Metro-North has capacity on some trains and they could encourage more riders to use it and take some of the burden off of the (4)(5)(6).  Even with the fares, I've been seeing more and more people use Metro-North to get to and from 125th to Grand Central.  Too many subway delays... Some folks definitely try to take advantage of the off-peak fares too, and Metro-North could expand service here and there to attract more of those riders from the subway.

Speaking of capacity, there are a few trains that start in Greystone that are heavily used by folks in Riverdale.  A special proposal could get more of those folks on the train.  

There are times when I've forgotten my monthly pass at home, and the thought of paying $9.25 twice for such a mistake is kind of hard to swallow, and that's not including the $2.75 each way for the shuttle bus which I sometimes

The cost is definitely pushing people onto the subway and that's a problem. 

Exactly why I thought it was a good idea. I think it would alleviate crowding on some lines and make up for service changes that have made travel difficult in the Bronx.

This week's FASTRACK is a real concern given how many Bronx-based routes will be affected.

Exactly why I thought it was a good idea. I think it would alleviate crowding on some lines and make up for service changes that have made travel difficult in the Bronx.

This week's FASTRACK is a real concern given how many Bronx-based routes will be affected.

This week's FASTRACK?  There is always some work going on during the weekends for most of the lines that run through the Bronx... lol  I noticed that they eased the travel arrangements with City Ticket in that it used to only be good in one direction.  However, they should expand the duration of the ticket, as it is only good for the day of travel and can't be purchased in advance.  Meanwhile, intermediate trips cost $3.00 and the tickets are good for several months.  Makes no sense at all.  The only thing that is clear is that the ticket collectors don't really care for collecting them, so they usually don't bother to check sometimes once the train is in city limits, though I have noticed more enforcement of late.

There is always some work going on during the weekends for most of the lines that run through the Bronx... lol

Did you notice that a majority of IRT routes go through the most downtrodden neighborhoods in NYC (East NY, Brownsville, Flatbush Triangle, Mott Haven, etc.)

These stations are often downtrodden-looking too.

Did you notice that a majority of IRT routes go through the most downtrodden neighborhoods in NYC (East NY, Brownsville, Flatbush Triangle, Mott Haven, etc.)

These stations are often downtrodden-looking too.

I have only gone through some areas with the subway but yes they are pretty rundown.

They're going to have to do something because it is only going to get worse. They need to start more trains at 137th street, though my preference would be 157th or 145th street, because that's where the crowds usually start to pick up. The other thing that is insane is that in Washington Heights, you have people that use the (1) train over the local buses to go from 181st to 168th. It's just another example of how our buses don't complement our subway lines, leading to a system that becomes more and more packed with people that could use other means to get around.

I think making the (1) express between 96 St & Penn Station would be ideal, at least on Weekdays, in switching with the (3) which would make those local stops until after 11 AM.

I think there could be a flaw in my suggestion. Let me know what you think.

Sent from my One M8 GPE

???? Eric Shields | #MassTransitHonchkrow ????

THE Hudson Valley's essential Fare-blazer ????

I think making the (1) express between 96 St & Penn Station would be ideal, at least on Weekdays, in switching with the (3) which would make those local stops until after 11 AM.

I think there could be a flaw in my suggestion. Let me know what you think.

Sent from my One M8 GPE

Eric Shields | #MassTransitHonchkrow

THE Hudson Valley's essential Fare-blazer

The current set up with the (1) below 96th street works. The (2) usually arrives packed, but there is generally a (3) train right behind to help out. What would be great is some sort of (1) express train above 96th street, but I won't hold my breath on that one. What I have noticed is that the (1) remains packed and they seem to be holding some (1) trains perhaps in an attempt to reduce the strain on the (2) and (3). While people say that the West Side has options, they are becoming more and more packed. It will be interesting to see how the (MTA) handles the situation. The (1) already runs every few minutes as it is, and supposedly, any more (B) or (D) trains could worsen delays.

You'd be making things worse by having the (1) and (3) criss-cross in front of each other and delaying the (2).

Figured my suggestion was haphazard.

The current set up with the (1) below 96th street works. The (2) usually arrives packed, but there is generally a (3) train right behind to help out. What would be great is some sort of (1) express train above 96th street, but I won't hold my breath on that one. What I have noticed is that the (1) remains packed and they seem to be holding some (1) trains perhaps in an attempt to reduce the strain on the (2) and (3). While people say that the West Side has options, they are becoming more and more packed. It will be interesting to see how the (MTA) handles the situation. The (1) already runs every few minutes as it is, and supposedly, any more (B) or (D) trains could worsen delays.

The East Side is in the same situation, based on past feedback. The Lex Av Line is at capacity, which means trains can't be added in a way that would help. 

From a timetable point, every 9 minutes is the norm, right?

This is bull. 

The reason why those lines fair better the L,1 and 7 is because they don't have deal with going throw junctions to other lines.

Honestly and this is just my opinion they should extend the 3 train to east 180 street and the last two station along the lenox avenue are redundant and should be closed, the M7 bus provide service to 145 anyways and the R62s don't have to deadhead to 180s yard just to get a wash.

Honestly and this is just my opinion they should extend the 3 train to east 180 street and the last two station along the lenox avenue are redundant and should be closed, the M7 bus provide service to 145 anyways and the R62s don't have to deadhead to 180s yard just to get a wash.

They tried to close 145 St when they opened 148 St in the 60s, but the community rallied against it. 145 St actually gets good usage.

This is bull.

The reason why those lines fair better the L,1 and 7 is because they don't have deal with going throw junctions to other lines.

Honestly and this is just my opinion they should extend the 3 train to east 180 street and the last two station along the lenox avenue are redundant and should be closed, the M7 bus provide service to 145 anyways and the R62s don't have to deadhead to 180s yard just to get a wash.

I said something like that once. The 145th St station is already half gone so to speak. In its place they can add 24 hour service to either the M7 or M102 if not already.

I said something like that once. The 145th St station is already half gone so to speak. In its place they can add 24 hour service to either the M7 or M102 if not already.

Both of those routes already run around the clock.

This is bull. 

Honestly and this is just my opinion they should extend the 3 train to east 180 street and the last two station along the lenox avenue are redundant and should be closed, the M7 bus provide service to 145 anyways and the R62s don't have to deadhead to 180s yard just to get a wash.

So you propose screwing over the present (3) riders at 145th and 148th St for the benefit of who ??? If you want more (2) service come out and say so. East 180th St-Unionport has enough switching and congestion problems as it is with the (2), (5), (S), and various car washes and transfers every day. The service at Lenox Terminal was created so that trains wouldn't get bogged down in the Bronx and impact Manhattan service. Same reasoning the (1) had split service starting at 137th St and Broadway and why the (C) doesn't run into Queens today. Short of being segregated like the (7) or the (L) the shorter lines are thought to be more reliable as far as providing service to the CBD. What you seem to be looking for is a short turn (2), right ? You fail to realize that there was a time when the (3) ran shuttle service between 148th St and 135th St overnights or at times only bus service was provided between those stations. The community protested the lack of service and a new service , (3) to Times Square, was put in place. There was a reason for that service to be created between those two points. What is the justification for eliminating that service ? AFAIC none, nada, zilch.  I'd like to see your reasoning  for your proposal. Carry on.

They tried to close 145 St when they opened 148 St in the 60s, but the community rallied against it. 145 St actually gets good usage.

They both get good usage. The (3) ends by a large complex and it saves people from schlepping up those steep hills up there. On the map the stations look redundant, but if you use both of them, they both are pretty important.

Archived