Why is their no Sunday Service on Suffolk County Transit

FamousNYLover

Should Suffolk County Transit Add Sunday Service  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Should Suffolk County Transit Add Sunday Service

• Of course, it need Sunday service.
    • No, it is fine as it easy.
    • Not sure.

I learned with exception of summer S47, why Suffolk County Transit service does not operate Sunday?

the system is still like it was in the 1950's to 1960's when people didn't go out much on sunday's except for church and before the County actully took over the transit operations. and since it is run by the county and most of the county is shut down on sunday's, and since most of the stops at goverment bulidings, u can probally guess why. and the fact that the bus companies like CBS Lines, Suffolk Bus Corp, and Inter-County Motor Coach, pay for fuel, the drivers, and the mantince of the buses, and the county only buys the buses, makes up the routes, fares, and timetables and pays them to run the buses.

How would the poor people travel in Suffolk County if they had no cars, not enough money for Long Island Railroad, or taxi?

easy if they aren't going far then they walk, there ain't nothing wrong with that or they ride a bike, may dad use to do that to get to work. or they ask a friend for a ride. the poor may do, as the rest of suffolk county. and you left out the Senior's, there are alot of them that ride SCT to.

Suffolk Transit NEEDS SUNDAY SERVICE! I have no way to get around, plus the service they have now sux! I have been offered a well paying job that i had to turn down cause the buses run like crap out here! Cant wait to bring some REAL service to Suffolk someday!!

Suffolk County Transit doesn't even have "contact us" on their website.

Suffolk Transit NEEDS SUNDAY SERVICE! I have no way to get around, plus the service they have now sux! I have been offered a well paying job that i had to turn down cause the buses run like crap out here! Cant wait to bring some REAL service to Suffolk someday!!

were do u live, Suffolk Transit service is fine. except for the S92 and other eastend routes as far as i've heard. all buses unless of an accident, or another emergency that has to have a road blocked off, or rush hour where roads like RT 112 get backed up, are either on time or up to a minute early or late.

its not enough that some passengers are rude, disrespectful, and actully attack drivers. yes around the time i was born a bus driver was stabbed by a guy who was aguring over the fare at Smith Haven Mall.

u should have found another mode, hell my father took the LIRR when we lived in Central Islip because he was working in the King Kullen store in Selden that he basicly was at since the store opened, (the selden store was in the staples shopping center, but in 1992 the moved to their current location) and he did the same thing when they relocated their Central Islip store in 2000. then when we moved to Mastic, he rode a bike to the Manorville store, which he almost got hit twice. im my opion u should stop ur whining, i've never whined about one thing in my life, not when my famliy had to move from place to place, not when my father was hit by a car within blocks of the house and the police seamed to lie on their report, or when a cop wouldn't allow an ambulance to transport my sister to the hospital when she had a cut on her foot that ended up needing stiches, or when my baby brother died and the hospital and state seems to say that my mother wasn't even pregnant at that time.

i've been though alot in my life, and ur crying because u couldn't take a job because u feel the transit operation is horrible when its not. quite ur crying, if it was that well paying u would have found another way to get there.

for a county that gets back only 25% of the fares collected, and the money they get from the state to run, i'm surprised that there is money at all in the budget to run the program anyway. just think if we were back in the 70's the bus companies would be running their own bus routes and the only thing u would be complaining about is the fare sturcture.

and Yuri, they have a phone number u can call if u have comments or to complain. not everyone needs a "contact us" on their website, and why would they when most of the ppl who ride Suffolk Transit are poor and prob don't own a computer.

I dont think I can live in a town and/or city which has no TA service on sunday I couldnt do it I would seriously lose my mind I gotta have my service 7 days a week inclduing holidays its bad enough TAs cut back on routes alot on weekends! but no service at all???

were do u live, Suffolk Transit service is fine. except for the S92 and other eastend routes as far as i've heard. all buses unless of an accident, or another emergency that has to have a road blocked off, or rush hour where roads like RT 112 get backed up, are either on time or up to a minute early or late.

its not enough that some passengers are rude, disrespectful, and actully attack drivers. yes around the time i was born a bus driver was stabbed by a guy who was aguring over the fare at Smith Haven Mall.

u should have found another mode, hell my father took the LIRR when we lived in Central Islip because he was working in the King Kullen store in Selden that he basicly was at since the store opened, (the selden store was in the staples shopping center, but in 1992 the moved to their current location) and he did the same thing when they relocated their Central Islip store in 2000. then when we moved to Mastic, he rode a bike to the Manorville store, which he almost got hit twice. im my opion u should stop ur whining, i've never whined about one thing in my life, not when my famliy had to move from place to place, not when my father was hit by a car within blocks of the house and the police seamed to lie on their report, or when a cop wouldn't allow an ambulance to transport my sister to the hospital when she had a cut on her foot that ended up needing stiches, or when my baby brother died and the hospital and state seems to say that my mother wasn't even pregnant at that time.

i've been though alot in my life, and ur crying because u couldn't take a job because u feel the transit operation is horrible when its not. quite ur crying, if it was that well paying u would have found another way to get there.

for a county that gets back only 25% of the fares collected, and the money they get from the state to run, i'm surprised that there is money at all in the budget to run the program anyway. just think if we were back in the 70's the bus companies would be running their own bus routes and the only thing u would be complaining about is the fare sturcture.

and Yuri, they have a phone number u can call if u have comments or to complain. not everyone needs a "contact us" on their website, and why would they when most of the ppl who ride Suffolk Transit are poor and prob don't own a computer.

First off, I live in bay shore, second off, YES the transit system NEEDS ADJUSTMENTS!!!! I am from Yonkers, where buses run a whole lot better than these stupid ST buses. I take it that you were livin in Suffolk your whole life, cause you juss dont get it! You are used to the current system. I am used to the (MTA) and Bee-Line's bus system. So dont tell me that i dont know what i am talkin about and quit cryin. Go live in a city with a real TA, and you will see what i am talkin about.

I am The Don of All Buses.

Wow. :confused: If I was offered a well paying job, I would've plunked down $1000 and bought a car to drive there. I don't understand your logic.

First off, I live in bay shore, second off, YES the transit system NEEDS ADJUSTMENTS!!!! I am from Yonkers, where buses run a whole lot better than these stupid ST buses. I take it that you were livin in Suffolk your whole life, cause you juss dont get it! You are used to the current system. I am used to the (MTA) and Bee-Line's bus system. So dont tell me that i dont know what i am talkin about and quit cryin. Go live in a city with a real TA, and you will see what i am talkin about.

I am The Don of All Buses.

i've been taking Suffolk transit since i was a baby, (don't use ST, someone my think ur talking about a school bus company. SCT is butter to use) my grandpa drove for the old Coarm Bus Service, in a time before the County ran the program. it is people like u that are the reason why i hate ppl from the city. they want everything there way. i expected it from tourist that take over my hometown during the summer, but i would have never expected it on a board like this.

Well lets just say that my security company just fell apart, i am in a deep hole, and i basicly have no money as of now to get one. I will eventualy ignore ST, and get out of the mess i am in, get a car, move back to Yonkers, and see about driving for Bee-Line or (MTA).

My Grandma doesn't have the money to take the bus, (do to the state screwing her) and neither does my famliy but we get around.

Wow. :confused: If I was offered a well paying job, I would've plunked down $1000 and bought a car to drive there. I don't understand your logic.

i know there is no logic, he must me one of those city folks that like things their way.

not like some service improvements would hurt anyone. Just ask the people who use SCT, the regular users even say the service sux!:eek: Better yet, I will do a documentary...

The Don of All Buses

i haven't heard a thing, the only prob i heard was that the buses didn't run on the 4th of July and that was while i was on the S61 a day before the 4th, other then that i haven't heard anything. it all depends on who u ask and where in the county u are, and some ppl say it suxs because one they don't understand anything, or they have a grude normally with a driver. and most of those ppl live in Bayshore, Brentwood, Bellport, Mastic/Mastic Beach, and most of the other places that have a bad reputaion.

and i'd hate to say it but there aren't may regular riders, or not in the sence that they always take the same route at the same time everyday, or at least not that i've come across anyway.

and while ur at it, ask them if they like higher taxes bacuse thats what it will take to fix what they already have, i know that for a fact.

well, all i know is that in the future things will change, wether it be by the MTA or the ATA, things will change, hands down. Oh, and the people outside of bay shore, brentwood, mastic, and such, are well how could i say this... well, further out east u got those hoity toity rich folk, and you have other working class people that have cars, some struggling people that have cars, but not all working class have cars. Oh and if you think bay shore, and brentwood are bad places pfttt... these hoity toity towns dont come nowhere close to Yonkers, Mt Vernon, Peekskill, whathaveyou.

well, all i know is that in the future things will change, wether it be by the MTA or the ATA, things will change, hands down. Oh, and the people outside of bay shore, brentwood, mastic, and such, are well how could i say this... well, further out east u got those hoity toity rich folk, and you have other working class people that have cars, some struggling people that have cars, but not all working class have cars. Oh and if you think bay shore, and brentwood are bad places pfttt... these hoity toity towns dont come nowhere close to Yonkers, Mt Vernon, Peekskill, whathaveyou.

u don't know the word 'struggling' if it came and bit u in the ass. not all places out east are "hoity toity rich", unless u mean the Hamptons. i know that there are working famlies that don't have cars, because mine is one of them. i also know that there is no such thing as a 'working class' no matter what people say. the MTA won't take over Suffolk Transit cuz unlike other places Suffolk cares for their riders, hence why their prices are so low.

the study thing is prob to talk about the new buses they are getting, the bike racks and if there are any bus route changes, thats all.

First off, you dont know me to tell me that i dont know what struggling is, Ive had my times where i didnt even have a roof over my head and slept on the streets. Second off, I dont mean that ALL of Suffolk County is rich, and last off, I work, no car, SCT sux, = me making a difference. How about this one, I got off the s41 bus to transfer to the s27 bus and every time i make that connection the s27 bus comes before the s41 gets to the transfer point! They need to fix that atleast, cause i dont think nobody likes to wait for a bus for a whole hour!! Westchester is suburban and the buses there arnt evan as bad as Suffolk Transit!!

First off, you dont know me to tell me that i dont know what struggling is, Ive had my times where i didnt even have a roof over my head and slept on the streets. Second off, I dont mean that ALL of Suffolk County is rich, and last off, I work, no car, SCT sux, = me making a difference. How about this one, I got off the s41 bus to transfer to the s27 bus and every time i make that connection the s27 bus comes before the s41 gets to the transfer point! They need to fix that atleast, cause i dont think nobody likes to wait for a bus for a whole hour!! Westchester is suburban and the buses there arnt evan as bad as Suffolk Transit!!

depends on what the time says, other then that the other driver may be early. buses can wait but not more then five min's. i can't say thats a SCT rule, more then a companies, but i don't know what Suffolk Bus Corp's rule is. some times if there is no one at certain bus stops it makes the trip faster. but sorry do, the S27 is a hard route, they don't have no break in Hauppauge they just loop around. but if the time tables says that the S27 comes before the S41 and the drivers are following it, then there is nothing that can be done. the timeing may suck but i bet the county tried their best. have u tried the S45, it would save u the transfer?

i'm sorry about the 'struggling' remark, its just u came off sounding better then u said, the kinda person i hate. and for the record i never said the system is perfect or doesn't need work. but if u asked me if i liked the system the way it is right now or the system after after it was turned so it was like any other system, i would say i like it the way it is now. and i say that because u can't look at the future and say if we change this or that it will work in the future, because the future in unpredictable. u have to work with what u got here and now and add to it when u can or when the need araises. and the County has done well with that.

in 1998 the S40 and S45 didn't run until 9 10 o'clock like they do now. the S66 and S58 didn't go to Riverhead like they do now Mastic Beach didn't have the S66 service they have now, and the S68 didn't go to Center Moriches. to get from Stony Brook Universtiy from Mastic u had to transfer buses like three times. to get from Brentwood to Stony Brook u had to transfer buses and the 3D got an extra bus that from what i heard it deperatly needed. Stony Brook Villiage which back when my grandfather drove for the now defunt Coarm Bus Company had a line but lost it to what is now the S60 in the late 80's, got it back and provides :30 min service to a route that was made for four buses, but only had three. they also made the S110 that runs on the LIE to the SUNY campus in Farmingdale. sure they cut a route in that time. but they are all accomplishments all the same, sure they could have been done when the county took over transit ops in the 80's but the need wasn't there at the time. why i ask u do u want to spend money that u do not have, for something that u have no guarantee will work.

true, there is no guarentee(spelling)thet that would work, its okay about the struggling, as we both have our own struggles to face. By living here in Suffolk County, i am begining to like the SCT over time more than i used to. Besides the service that i will get used to, but the buses, and the paint scheme! it kinda reminds me of my home county's buses-- The Bee-Line System. I would still like to start a transit system sometime in the future, nothing big will come all at once tho.

true, there is no guarentee(spelling)thet that would work, its okay about the struggling, as we both have our own struggles to face. By living here in Suffolk County, i am begining to like the SCT over time more than i used to. Besides the service that i will get used to, but the buses, and the paint scheme! it kinda reminds me of my home county's buses-- The Bee-Line System. I would still like to start a transit system sometime in the future, nothing big will come all at once tho.

sorry about the spelling, i took it from a diffrent sight. but i can't spell all the same.

i loved the old paint scheme better then the one they have now. i remember when i first went on the orion, and the announcer system started talking, it made me and my sisters jump. the bus was 9902 on the S62.

I too like the older paint scheme better! It's too bad that SCT dont use it anymore.:)

they don't use it on the new buses, but there are still alot of older buses around with the old paint scheme.

but the old buses are getting retrofittend with annoucer things so they will soon be like the new buses (just without the new paint)

I was in Selden with my girlfriend on saturday and saw SCT bus #9723 on route 6B. That bus still had the blue and green paint scheme. Another bus that i wish SCT still had is the Flxible Metro.

yeah they still use 97xx's on the 6B, but they do sometimes use the orion's because i was at the mall with my grandma back in 2005 and a 6B pulled in and it was a orion but i don't recall the bus number or if it had the announcer thing working.

the last time i was on a Flxible was in 2003 right before they were retired on the S71, i think it was 9316. i never did like them because of the way their engine sounded, but if u sat at the back of the bus it wasn't that bad for some reason, or at least i didn't think so.

I never got to hear the engines on SCT's Flxibles but if they sounded simuler to Bee-Line's old Flxibles, then i would love them even more.

i hated them more then the engines on the 9xx gilligs (91xx gilligs if u rode Suffolk Bus Corp), they were louder then them too. and the brakes on them too sounded bad.

Archived