New Fare Payment System

Themman92

One thing I hope they do with the new fare payment system, and this whole MVM in Grand Central thing reminded me of it, is create one vending machine for everything, the new cards, single rides and railroad tickets...

Wont happen. NYCT uses Cubic with "special" fare media custom for NYC (Chicago and PR Metro were the only other users of the MetroCard). LIRR/MNRR uses Scheidt Bachmann equipment. Goto SLC or Pittsburgh to see how they use the MNRR/LIRR TVMs for a urban transit fare system. SLC uses "hand it over" or visual inspection passes. Pittsburgh uses single use paper RFID cards (same format as a MNRR single ride) and a hard plastic reloadable RFID card.

LIRR had Verizon cell service in east river tunnels 10 years before NYC subway's underground wireless effort. 2 different systems/contracts/RFPs/setups.

PATH already uses a reloadable tap card. THAT is the future NYC standard, but NYCT will never adopt it because they didn't invent it, and NYCT will make sure in any RFP the PATH contractor can't bid. From stuff I've heard, one of the requirements of NFPS is NYCT will be cashless. Pie in the sky. Your choices are Visa or Mastercard. 2nd requirement is for "unbanked"/undocumented people to use the subway. Anonymous credit cards are all but illegal in the USA due to terrorism laws. Although the "Visa Gift Card" from gift card rack at a pharmacy is anonymous.

So NYCT wants some kind of tap card/mobile phone pay/gold chip smart card fare system, that is either tied to your CC/ATM account (EasyPay Metrocard), or reloaded at sketchy check cashing places on the street.

Regarding the addition of new MVMs at non-subway locations, I do feel they should at least have one MVM at the railroad stations. With the amount of buses that serve said stations, especially in Westchester, it makes plenty of sense to install an MVM or two at these hubs. Of course, with the MetroCard's replacement coming Soon™, they will likely use that as a reason for not installing them.

LGA has "not on NYCT property" MVMs, BUT with a catch. At LGA, there are 2 CC-only mini-MVMs, and then a PA maintained quarter change machine to pay the coin fare on the bus, or put coins in the solar powered coin SBS box (actually a muni meter). Its obvious NYCT didn't want to do daily servicing of the MVMs at LGA, so they only have mini-MVMs that only need need receipt paper and virgin metro cards. No cash handling by NYCT.

Supposedly Bee-Line now takes metrocards but I've never ridden on their system. Does Westchester County have any MVMs at all in it?

Supposedly there is a cash MVM at Hempstead transit center but I've never been there.

Wont happen. NYCT uses Cubic with "special" fare media custom for NYC (Chicago and PR Metro were the only other users of the MetroCard). LIRR/MNRR uses Scheidt Bachmann equipment. Goto SLC or Pittsburgh to see how they use the MNRR/LIRR TVMs for a urban transit fare system. SLC uses "hand it over" or visual inspection passes. Pittsburgh uses single use paper RFID cards (same format as a MNRR single ride) and a hard plastic reloadable RFID card.

LIRR had Verizon cell service in east river tunnels 10 years before NYC subway's underground wireless effort. 2 different systems/contracts/RFPs/setups.

PATH already uses a reloadable tap card. THAT is the future NYC standard, but NYCT will never adopt it because they didn't invent it, and NYCT will make sure in any RFP the PATH contractor can't bid. From stuff I've heard, one of the requirements of NFPS is NYCT will be cashless. Pie in the sky. Your choices are Visa or Mastercard. 2nd requirement is for "unbanked"/undocumented people to use the subway. Anonymous credit cards are all but illegal in the USA due to terrorism laws. Although the "Visa Gift Card" from gift card rack at a pharmacy is anonymous.

So NYCT wants some kind of tap card/mobile phone pay/gold chip smart card fare system, that is either tied to your CC/ATM account (EasyPay Metrocard), or reloaded at sketchy check cashing places on the street.

You do realize PATH is also Cubic, right? PATH uses a modified version of London's Oyster, which the Daily News reported last year, I believe, that MTA officials were seriously considering to replace the MetroCard. 

You do realize PATH is also Cubic, right? PATH uses a modified version of London's Oyster, which the Daily News reported last year, I believe, that MTA officials were seriously considering to replace the MetroCard. 

I feel the proprietor's attitude the MTA has had throughout the years has harmed the progress that should have been made with payments.

As of now, the best method (which needs improvement nonetheless) is through EasyPay. 

The only shortcoming, ironically, is that PATH turnstiles don't accept EasyPay or any M&R card. I'm guessing that was discreet payback for that proprietor's attitude I mentioned.

Regarding fare flexibility...

Also, I'd like to see that LIRR pilot take hold in MetroNorth stations Zone 2 and below. I think it would have a positive impact on congestion or at least give Bronx residents options that make a monthly worth the cost.

Question: Is it possible for the MTA to use genius handhelds to enumerate MetroCards? I mean, they ARE magstripes, and if it were practical, all door boarding could happen to every bus in the system as an employee could swipe cards and then send the data to the box.

Coin fares would still have to go to the front though.

I believe cubic have a better system than one in PA developed by xerox.  Cubic hardware seems to be sleek and neat. Hoping NY / Boston  new system is not from xerox which will become horrible considering the amount of traffic.  xerox has frequent sales machine outages causing passenger inconvenience and system is still confusing and their website sucks big time. 

Archived