Suffolk County Transit orders 30 New Flyer Xcelsiors

DaimlerBuses

Firm order for 10 XDE40 and 20 XDE35 for a total of 30 buses. Options for up to 43 more Xcelsior hybrids over the next 5 years.

Suffolk County Awards New Flyer a Contract for up to 73 Xcelsior® Buses

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada – January 5, 2017: (TSX: NFI) (TSX: NFI.DB.U) New Flyer of America Inc., a subsidiary of New Flyer Industries Inc. (“New Flyer” or the “Company”), the largest transit bus and motor coach manufacturer and parts distributor in North America, announced today that Suffolk County Department of Public Works, located in Yaphank, NY has awarded New Flyer with a contract for up to 73 New Flyer Xcelsior® diesel-electric hybrid buses.

The contract includes firm orders for 10 Xcelsior 40-foot diesel-electric hybrid buses and 20 35-foot Xcelsior hybrid buses. In addition, 43 diesel-electric buses in either 35- or 40-foot length may be exercised as options off of this contract over the next 5-years.

“This is the very first time we have built our best-in-class Xcelsior bus for Suffolk County,” said Paul Smith, New Flyer Vice President of Sales and Marketing. “We look forward to providing our customer with a quality and dependable Xcelsior heavy duty bus model as well as building a long lasting relationship.”

The 43 option buses remaining in the contract will be included in New Flyer’s backlog. These buses are Buy America compliant, with the majority of the build completed at New Flyer’s Crookston, Minnesota facility.

https://newflyer.com/rss/797-suffolk-county-awards-new-flyer-a-contract-for-up-to-73-xcelsior%C2%AE-buses

Firm order for 10 XDE40 and 20 XDE35 for a total of 30 buses. Options for up to 43 more Xcelsior hybrids over the next 5 years.

Why no MiDi since they're investing in small buses it'd seem like the best way to go. 

More than enough to replace all the Gillig Phantoms and whatever Orion V are still alive (if they haven't all been retired yet).

They need the option in order to replace a Majority if not all the Phantoms. With the 30 it will probably be the 11 Orion V's, the 4 remaining Phantom Suburbans, and 15 2005 Phantoms. 

I believe there are probably a few Orion V's left after the route cuts. Probably aren't going to be used much though with the October route cuts f having freed up 2005 Phantoms and Orion VII's from other routes. (And the cut of a route that only seemed to use Orion V's)

Why no MiDi since they're investing in small buses it'd seem like the best way to go. 

Probably because most of the smaller bus routes end up on the chopping block, and also some of the buses probably will be designated for the Stony Brook-Patchouge BRT route when that get operational. 

Wow, so all of NYC and LI will have Xcelsiors now, isn't that cool?

I would like to see if Suffolk Transit updates their color scheme, because IDK, I don't see the current scheme fitting with the Xcelsior model.

There will probably be a small revision with the stripe like what happened with the Orion VII's (On the Orion VII's the stripe goes up in the rear while on the Orion V's and Phantoms there is a small bump at the front near the door and the driver's window) if need be. But I'd be surprised if they changed the whole scheme. Especially since they also ordered new Para Transit buses for 2017 and from what I gather they seem to be in the same paint scheme as the rest of the SCAT fleet. 

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to see if Suffolk Transit updates their color scheme, because IDK, I don't see the current scheme fitting with the Xcelsior model.

This might be what the New Fylers may look like. Not sure if that's what the actual fleet numbering will be. The photo was taken from here. http://www.fleetsandfuels.com/fuels/hybrids/2017/01/new-flyer-hybrids-for-suffolk-county/NewFlyerXcelsor_hybrid_frontoblique-1500

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I got lucky yesterday on my way to public hearing for Puppymill at Suffolk County Legislature and I was planning to have vegan food at Thai House in Smithtown but train arrived Smithtown at 2:52pm, I went quickly to get takeout menu and back to train station and guess what. It was #7025 on 3:15pm S45 Bay Shore bus which came 20 minutes late and I miss my stop at North Complex Happague Police Station.

Archived