The MTA has decided to raise subway fare to $3

Via Garibaldi 8

I talked about major delays on a weekly basis and was dismissed, but it's true. The other day I got on a (5) train running via 7th Avenue. I don't understand how they can't run more (2)(3) service, but there's capacity to run the (5) there when there's a delay on the Lex line.

I thought you would figure this one out because it's really easy. Look at the big picture for a minute. (2) to Flatbush, (5) to Flatbush. Flatbush Avenue terminal can handle X amount of incoming trains. Wouldn't matter whether the trains come down the East or West Side. If I add more (2) service to pump up the West side where are those trains supposed to go ? If they're headed for Brooklyn, meaning Flatbush, there would have to be a corresponding cut in (5) service to fit those trains in. With the current configuration of subway service in Manhattan no one is going to cut Lexington Avenue service while the West side has Broadway, Seventh Avenue, CPW 8th and 6th  Avenue service. That's why you will see (2) and (5) trains re-routed on the other's lines. Whenever and wherever the original blockage clears up Flatbush Avenue would have enough (2) or (5) trains to resume regular service in the opposite direction. Maybe they can run more (2) or (3) service if they turned those extra trains around old South Ferry loop but that would mean a cut in (1) service to fit those trains in. The Brooklyn terminals ( New Lots, Utica) are pretty much at capacity now and Atlantic Avenue is not an option. Where would you suggest these extra West Side trains go ? Carry on.

I thought you would figure this one out because it's really easy. Look at the big picture for a minute. (2) to Flatbush, (5) to Flatbush. Flatbush Avenue terminal can handle X amount of incoming trains. Wouldn't matter whether the trains come down the East or West Side. If I add more (2) service to pump up the West side where are those trains supposed to go ? If they're headed for Brooklyn, meaning Flatbush, there would have to be a corresponding cut in (5) service to fit those trains in. With the current configuration of subway service in Manhattan no one is going to cut Lexington Avenue service while the West side has Broadway, Seventh Avenue, CPW 8th and 6th Avenue service. That's why you will see (2) and (5) trains re-routed on the other's lines. Whenever and wherever the original blockage clears up Flatbush Avenue would have enough (2) or (5) trains to resume regular service in the opposite direction. Maybe they can run more (2) or (3) service if they turned those extra trains around old South Ferry loop but that would mean a cut in (1) service to fit those trains in. The Brooklyn terminals ( New Lots, Utica) are pretty much at capacity now and Atlantic Avenue is not an option. Where would you suggest these extra West Side trains go ? Carry on.

I was aware of all of that, but here's my question to you. Do they run fewer (2) trains while the (5) runs via 7th Avenue? Obviously there is less service via Lex. You see what I'm getting at is regardless of the terminal situation, I would think that having (5) trains also running via 7th Avenue would negatively impact (2) and (3) service?

...having (5) trains also running via 7th Avenue would negatively impact (2) and (3) service

That may be true but if they are sending the (5) via 7th it is because they have no better options for routing the (5) when they have to remove it from Lex because Lex is jacked.

I was aware of all of that, but here's my question to you. Do they run fewer (2) trains while the (5) runs via 7th Avenue? Obviously there is less service via Lex. You see what I'm getting at is regardless of the terminal situation, I would think that having (5) trains also running via 7th Avenue would negatively impact (2) and (3) service?

If things really go downhill the established procedure would be to drop a s/b (5) interval at the terminal while the (2) would see no loss of service except the (2) and (3) would suffer from congestion.

If things really go downhill the established procedure would be to drop a s/b (5) interval at the terminal while the (2) would see no loss of service except the (2) and (3) would suffer from congestion.

It was interesting to note that the (5) train was rather empty (this was during rush hour). I got on but many people didn't. Likely confused...

Six increases in 8 years... is a bit much.  Something needs to be done about the ridiculous biennial fare increases.  Not a week goes by without major delays now- the system is in dire need of repair.

Of course the State and City should start properly funding public transportation- but that would require people to hold their elected representatives accountable instead of accepting the status quo and mindlessly voting for politicians because of their party label as opposed to the content of their character.

And I'm sure there's also better ways the MTA could handle the money they get from fare revenue, such as use it to speed up the system where possible.

But that probably won't happen- it's all a scam, anyway.

Just be glad we're not in London. We have it good fare-wise.

If I recall correctly, wasn't the agreement to do Biennial increases just another way for the State to not contribute its fair share?

Secondly, the revenue only gets half what the MTA needs to run service throughout the day. For a large system wit ha single flat fare and free transfers, the fact they get about half is, in itself, an anomaly. Most other systems that do that get much lower amounts towards operational costs. Somewhere around 20-35 percent of what is needed for daily operations.

Likely just waiting for a (2) or (3) train............

Yeah but that (5) would've covered all stops up 135th...

Many riders follow those apps faithfully, if they're at Jay street Metrotech and it tells them to take the (A) to West 4th street, They will wait as (C) and (F) trains go by even if there is a 20 min delay on the (A) (which does happen at times).

Also, people feel that there are ghost tunnels/tracks where they'll get on an uptown (5) running on the (2) line and they'll wind up in Queens.

Many riders follow those apps faithfully, if they're at Jay street Metrotech and it tells them to take the (A) to West 4th street, They will wait as (C) and (F) trains go by even if there is a 20 min delay on the (A) (which does happen at times).

Also, people feel that there are ghost tunnels/tracks where they'll get on an uptown (5) running on the (2) line and they'll wind up in Queens.

LOL... Apparently they do and they're idiots... Just look at a bloody map! That's what happens when too many transplants move here...

So, therefore when the fare goes to $3.25 in 2019, there shouldn't be any surprise. I'm sure they'll increase the bonus to say, 20%

It might just be easier to just reduce the bonus instead, depending on the inflation rate. An even $3 per ride means less change to give out.

Some people are so dramatic <_<:

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20170125/midtown/mta-fare-hike-subway-bus-how-much-when-why

Samuel Santaella of St. Albans, Queens, who's a member of the Riders Alliance advocacy group, said: "To pay for my MetroCard, I’ve had to give up my cell phone service, not buy new clothes and skip meals toward the end of the month."

Archived