New South Ferry station to reopen in June

TheNewYorkElevated

Just because you think it is doesn't mean everyone agrees. That was one of the reasons cited for building the new South Ferry by numerous politicians.

Right. New SF is needed. The idea is to repurpose old SF for the Lexington line with the shuttle during the week and the (5) and (6) other times.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right. New SF is needed. The idea is to repurpose old SF for the Lexington line with the shuttle during the week and the (5) and (6) other times.

That was the service pattern back when the Bowling Green shuttle ran. That pattern is history never to be resurrected. Since walking between cars is now against the law are you suggesting that the train sit at the Green while these people move forward? All you've done is move the problem to the East Side instead. Once new South Ferry reopens the gap fillers go back to sleep. Carry on.

That was the service pattern back when the Bowling Green shuttle ran. That pattern is history never to be resurrected. Since walking between cars is now against the law are you suggesting that the train sit at the Green while these people move forward? All you've done is move the problem to the East Side instead. Once new South Ferry reopens the gap fillers go back to sleep. Carry on.

The (5) (again, when NOT running to Brooklyn) and (6) would ONLY be running to South Ferry in off-hours as I would do it (in this case, 8:00 PM-5:30 AM Monday night-Tuesday morning through Thursday night-Friday morning and 8:00 PM Friday evening through 5:30 AM Monday morning), with the BG-SF shuttle on weekdays ONLY.  There is less congestion to begin with at those hours, so the issue of people moving to the first five cars for SF at BG should not be anywhere near as big an issue as it has been on the (1) over the years.  

The (5) (again, when NOT running to Brooklyn) and (6) would ONLY be running to South Ferry in off-hours as I would do it (in this case, 8:00 PM-5:30 AM Monday night-Tuesday morning through Thursday night-Friday morning and 8:00 PM Friday evening through 5:30 AM Monday morning), with the BG-SF shuttle on weekdays ONLY.  There is less congestion to begin with at those hours, so the issue of people moving to the first five cars for SF at BG should not be anywhere near as big an issue as it has been on the (1) over the years.

So incredibly unnecessary. It's a 5-10 minute walk from Bowling Green to South Ferry. Not that big of a deal to create such a situation that would do nothing more than create unnecessary confusion.

So incredibly unnecessary. It's a 5-10 minute walk from Bowling Green to South Ferry. Not that big of a deal to create such a situation that would do nothing more than create unnecessary confusion.

Once they reopen the secondary entrance next to Battery Park, it's about a 2 minute walk tops

Thanks. I've used the BG shuttle back in the day. First one must alight from your train. Then travel down and up an escalator to reach the shuttle platform. IF a train IS there you wait until it's scheduled leaving time. Arriving at SF you wait until the doors are aligned before they open. Meanwhile those who walked from BG are on the ferry looking back at the dock as YOU run up the stairs. Sorry Wallyhorse but VG8 called it perfectly. Carry on.

Instead of a shuttle, I "propose" a cheap way to connect BG and SF without the walking-outside-and-at-night conundrum. Build a lighted metal canopy over the sidewalk between the BG headhouse and SF northern entrance.

Benefits:

• Cheap, should cost $100,000 tops for about six hundred feet
  • Can be done by outside contractors
  • Has lights
  • Protects from all sort of inclement weather
  • Doesn't require unnecessary rolling stock
  • Doesn't require reopening closed platforms
  • No annual maintenance
  • Faster to walk than to transfer to another train at BG

Drawbacks:

• None

Of course, this will never happen because the MTA doesn't deem it important, but hey, anything helps.

You can find it.  They allocated monies for the project (millions I may add) so obviously they and plenty of other riders didn't agree with your assessment.  Some of the politicians that did so are no longer serving.  

Nice deflection there. You want to make the claim, but you don't want to actually look for the data.

http://web.mta.info/capconstr/sft/documents/chapters/1_purpose_and_need.pdf#page=7

The FEIS, page 7, says:

The data for "overcrowding" is on another document. Oddly, the data states that otherwise is the case.

From: http://web.mta.info/capconstr/sft/documents/chapters/59_transportation_ped_circulation.pdf

Page 5-44 says that at worst, the crowding was at LOS B levels.

I haven't been there in a while, so I don't know if these data hold true now.

Thank you for actually providing documentation to back up your claim.

In any case, I would say that it seems fairly accurate. They're talking volume/capacity ratios of around 0.55 or so. Sounds about right. I'm usually one of the first ones up the stairs, so I don't get caught in any backup, but when I have to go down, there's usually a decent amount of space to move down. (Let me put it this way, I don't remember the last time I missed a train because I was fighting the crowds (**knock wood**) lol. 

That's still two trains running say, every 10-12 minutes each, that have to be cleared out at Bowling Green.

Also, heading northbound, you'd have to run the shuttle on that single track to prevent it from interfering with northbound (4) & (5) trains which means that passengers looking for northbound trains would have to go downstairs and back up to cross over to the northbound side instead of heading there straight from the street level (entering from behind the Wall Street bull statue and not on the park side like some make the mistake of doing)

Nice deflection there. You want to make the claim, but you don't want to actually look for the data.

There's no deflection. As was shown, the information is easy to find and available for all. It's funny that only you're allowed to not be bothered looking for info when you make claims but others can't...

There's no deflection. As was shown, the information is easy to find and available for all. It's funny that only you're allowed to not be bothered looking for info when you make claims but others can't...

If it was so easy to find, you should've posted it yourself. And no, whenever I make a claim, I always post the source, whether it's an external article/document, or a quote from a member on these boards. 

If it was so easy to find, you should've posted it yourself. And no, whenever I make a claim, I always post the source, whether it's an external article/document, or a quote from a member on these boards.

Uh no you don't. You just posted one yesterday without the source, in addition to your I'm too lazy/too tired claims. The hypocrisy is typical...

It's rather clear that Wallyhorse is not listening to a word we're saying...

Does he ever.....

The dude will justify the most asinine of things... and worse, under the guise of being rational & truthful on top of it..... It's one thing to have ideas, it's quite another to continually beat readers over the head them with them to the extent that he does..... I don't see how the lot of you on this side of the forum can put up with it.....

Does he ever.....

The dude will justify the most asinine of things... and worse, under the guise of being rational & truthful on top of it..... It's one thing to have ideas, it's quite another to continually beat readers over the head them with them to the extent that he does..... I don't see how the lot of you on this side of the forum can put up with it.....

Yeah...

Treating his proposals seriously is just enabling further behavior like this.

Wallyhorse, you never answered my question. How do you come up with these ideas? Do you study the passenger traffic beforehand? Do you study the urban traffic? Please tell me, I'm intrigued.

I go by what I've seen over a long period of time.

The BG-SF shuttle revival is really in this case a necessary evil in order to re-purpose Old SF for use by the Lexington Avenue Line once the (1) moves back to new SF.  The real purpose of the shuttle is it would cover the period on weekdays (5:30 AM-8:00 PM) where there is not enough capacity to run the (6) to South Ferry.  The rest of the time (8:00 PM-5:30 AM Mon-early Tues. through Thurs-early Fri and 8:00 PM Friday-5:30 AM Monday), the (6) would run to South Ferry and the (5) would also run there when it runs on Lex but NOT to Brooklyn for reasons I've already said.

The BG-SF shuttle revival is really in this case a necessary evil in order to re-purpose Old SF for use by the Lexington Avenue Line once the (1) moves back to new SF.  The real purpose of the shuttle is it would cover the period on weekdays (5:30 AM-8:00 PM) where there is not enough capacity to run the (6) to South Ferry.  The rest of the time (8:00 PM-5:30 AM Mon-early Tues. through Thurs-early Fri and 8:00 PM Friday-5:30 AM Monday), the (6) would run to South Ferry and the (5) would also run there when it runs on Lex but NOT to Brooklyn for reasons I've already said.

First anyone in a rush WILL NOT Wait for who knows how long for a train trip that will take them 1-3 blocks. Second if the only reason why the MTA build the new south ferry station was to replace the old one, not have 2 stations.

The BG-SF shuttle revival is really in this case a necessary evil in order to re-purpose Old SF for use by the Lexington Avenue Line 

And what makes you think Lexington Avenue Line service to South Ferry is necessary?

For christ's sake, on a clear day you can see South Ferry from the Bowling Green head house...

Do you know what the real use of the loop should be? It has 2 tracks. So in case of a small jam, the second loop could be used as a buffer zone to hold a train in order to relieve Brooklyn-bound trains north of Bowling Green. The trend nowadays is to remove short platforms from service as well as gap fillers.

Also as noted before, the southern exit of Bowling Green is a mere 4 blocks from the southern exit of South Ferry–Whitehall Street. That is a 3~4-minute walk. It is not going to be patronized enough to be worth paying for maintenance of a train and a crew to operate such a train.

Archived