New South Ferry station to reopen in June

TheNewYorkElevated

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only single cars nowadays are on the Times Square shuttle. Are you seriously suggesting taking train sets from that shuttle to run another one that wont get a tenth of the ridership?

If necessary, you unlink a couple of five-car sets back into singles and two-car sets (and in subsequent orders, include a small number of two-car sets that also allow for flexibility).  It's not like you need more than three two-car sets at the most for a BG-SF shuttle, especially given such would only run 14.5/5 at the most in this scenario (excluding G. O.'s) AND only one set at a time would actually be in use. 

Again, the real purpose is so in off hours, the (6) can run to old SF.  And again, my experiences have shown there are a lot of people (especially women) who especially at night would rather take the (6) to old SF than walk the four blocks from Bowling Green.  

Wallyhorse, no offense but New Yorkers need to walk at least once in their lifetime..they can't keep taking shuttles or the train to wherever they need to go.

It's just not necessary to have that shuttle, period.

I agree, but my experiences have shown me otherwise, and it's not all laziness either.

I agree, but my experiences have shown me otherwise, and it's not all laziness either.

I think people from the (4)(5)(6) would rather walk for 2 minutes. If not, they could transfer to the (R) from 59 St, Union Sq, or Canal St (or the (N) at night).

New Yorkers have it easy. Imagine living in any other US city where some people live miles from the nearest subway station, even close to the downtown area. We are lucky to have 5 subway routes serving the immediate vicinity of SF.

Not saying New Yorkers are lazy, but I agree with other posters on this point that people from BG can just walk to SF. I don't think a shuttle is worth the money to operate today. It could have been worth the money long ago, but reopening the stations with new ADA regulations would probably push costs over the top, among other things.

@Wallyhorse: The more I think about this, the more I come the understanding that, despite all of the posturing of ridership demands to prove your claims, you have little idea of what riders want and instead just want to use as much of the abandoned and disused tracks as possible. If it was truly an effort to better serve the customers, you'd know that the Bowling Green - South Ferry shuttle is not the answer. That shuttle, along with the off-hours (6) service to South Ferry, were both discontinued in 1977. In the four decade span of time since that elimination, there have been little to no calls for reactivation of the shuttle or an extension of service from Bowling Green to South Ferry. If there was such a demand, wouldn't we have heard about it? There are few riders, if any, who are willing to wait around for a shuttle when they can easily walk from Bowling Green to the Ferry Terminal in the same time span. I could get behind extending the (6) to Bowling Green in the owl periods to increase service to Lower Manhattan. Other than that, there's no need to run all these extraneous services that don't help anyone.

Most of us should just be happy that the new South Ferry Station is returning. I know I am, because it means more frequent (1) service and no more moving to the first five cars.

Does anyone know which differences between the 2009 and 2017 stations will be visible to the public? Will all of the 2009 entrances return? Will the (R)(W) connection remain the same?

I could get behind extending the (6) to Bowling Green in the owl periods to increase service to Lower Manhattan. Other than that, there's no need to run all these extraneous services that don't help anyone.

But then we lose the beautiful City Hall loop :(

@Wallyhorse: The more I think about this, the more I come the understanding that, despite all of the posturing of ridership demands to prove your claims, you have little idea of what riders want and instead just want to use as much of the abandoned and disused tracks as possible. If it was truly an effort to better serve the customers, you'd know that the Bowling Green - South Ferry shuttle is not the answer. That shuttle, along with the off-hours (6) service to South Ferry, were both discontinued in 1977. In the four decade span of time since that elimination, there have been little to no calls for reactivation of the shuttle or an extension of service from Bowling Green to South Ferry. If there was such a demand, wouldn't we have heard about it? There are few riders, if any, who are willing to wait around for a shuttle when they can easily walk from Bowling Green to the Ferry Terminal in the same time span. I could get behind extending the (6) to Bowling Green in the owl periods to increase service to Lower Manhattan. Other than that, there's no need to run all these extraneous services that don't help anyone.

I would think its evident that you're just wasting your time replying to someone who clearly has no intention to listen to anyone's words that go against him.

Most of us should just be happy that the new South Ferry Station is returning. I know I am, because it means more frequent (1) service and no more moving to the first five cars.

Does anyone know which differences between the 2009 and 2017 stations will be visible to the public? Will all of the 2009 entrances return? Will the (R)(W) connection remain the same?

More than likely it'll look the same as when it first opened, connections and all.

And there are people (especially at night and even more so with women based on my experiences) who likely at night for instance prefer to stay on the train to old SF than walk from BG to SF. As said, the shuttle is a necessary evil in order to have mainly the (6) (and (5) when in Manhattan but not running to Brooklyn) run to old SF in the off-hours, giving lower Manhattan between BG and BB additional service nights and weekends to an area that has seen sharp residential growth, especially in recent years.

If you're gonna do that, why not just run the (5) as a 24-hr Lex Express to South Ferry? That would boost service on the White Plains line so fewer crowded trains/long commutes to The Hub and other spots on 149th St and st a 15 minute interval, supplement local (4)(6) service and get two trainloads to South Ferry for each ferry departure.

(Although having used South Ferry for the last 18 months, I don't see the merit in this since I can just walk to Bowling Green in the time it takes to rush-smoke a cigarette. Plus, saving weekends when the (1) stops at 14th Street, between the (4) at BG, (N) local via Whitehall and the (R) shortline to Bk at Whitehall, the ferry is well/served by TA with trains. This is a solution looking for a problem.)

And what dare I ask were those experiences?

New Yorkers have it easy. Imagine living in any other US city where some people live miles from the nearest subway station, even close to the downtown area. We are lucky to have 5 subway routes serving the immediate vicinity of SF.

Heck, for that matter, between Bowling Green and South Ferry we have the M20 & M55 for those who don't feel like walking a few blocks.

The (1) service hadn't actually been increased according to the schedule after the new station was open.

And like I said, I don't look forward to having to climb even more stairs after a train ride that crawls even slower into the new South Ferry station (due to the lack of tail tracks) as I'm rushing for a ferry. Once that station opens, I'll probably be taking the express bus even more than I do now.

I would think its evident that you're just wasting your time replying to someone who clearly has no intention to listen to anyone's words that go against him.

I do read.  My opinions are simply different on that.

And what dare I ask were those experiences?

Heck, for that matter, between Bowling Green and South Ferry we have the M20 & M55 for those who don't feel like walking a few blocks.

The (1) service hadn't actually been increased according to the schedule after the new station was open.

And like I said, I don't look forward to having to climb even more stairs after a train ride that crawls even slower into the new South Ferry station (due to the lack of tail tracks) as I'm rushing for a ferry. Once that station opens, I'll probably be taking the express bus even more than I do now.

My experiences are dealing with people (and especially women) in my work over a long people of time who would rather wait up to a half-hour for a shuttle bus or van or a even a cab than walk 3-4 blocks to get where they are going because they are afraid to walk on certain streets and so forth, mainly at night and even explaining the streets are perfectly safe and they can make it there a lot quicker.  These are the types who would rather take a BG-SF shuttle or at night, most likely the (6) to old SF and there are a lot more of these types than many realize.

I do read.  My opinions are simply different on that.

My experiences are dealing with people (and especially women) in my work over a long people of time who would rather wait up to a half-hour for a shuttle bus or van or a even a cab than walk 3-4 blocks to get where they are going because they are afraid to walk on certain streets and so forth, mainly at night and even explaining the streets are perfectly safe and they can make it there a lot quicker.  These are the types who would rather take a BG-SF shuttle or at night, most likely the (6) to old SF and there are a lot more of these types than many realize.

Right, and if they're afraid to walk on a street that sees a decent amount of foot traffic (i.e. All the other people walking with them), they can wait for the M20 or M55 bus. Overnight (meaning, during the hours when those buses don't run), those ferries often carry around maybe 50 people (Compared to the daytime ones which carry like 3,000 - 3,500). Out of those people, how many of them are scared women coming from Bowling Green? And if they're that scared, what is the problem with them taking a taxi for those few blocks?

I know. Perhaps I'm just a masochist in that regard.  :P 

That's rather queer; I remember reading that the new South Ferry Station allowed for faster turnarounds due to the different track arrangement (dual termini rather than a loop).

Take the lift, mate... You needn't allow the stairways to hamper your access to the docks.

That's rather queer; I remember reading that the new South Ferry Station allowed for faster turnarounds due to the different track arrangement (dual termini rather than a loop).

Take the lift, mate... You needn't allow the stairways to hamper your access to the docks.

It probably did allow for higher capacity, but it doesn't seem like the MTA took too much advantage of that.

As for the lift, with the speed at which most MTA elevators move (plus the time waiting for it to come down and for people to board with me), it would be quicker to run for it.

Archived