Trump is set to remove almost ALL transit funding.

Union Tpke

http://usa.streetsblog.org/2017/01/19/trumps-first-budget-may-zero-out-federal-transit-funding/

Donald Trump’s first budget will follow a blueprint for extreme spending cuts laid out by the Heritage Foundation, the Hill reports. That could spell disaster for cities, since Heritage recommends eliminating federal support for transit.

Trump’s budget won’t be released for a few more weeks, but according to the Hill, it will draw heavily from a Heritage policy document that calls for taking an axe to conservative targets like the National Endowment for the Arts and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting [PDF]. Of course, Heritage wants to put transit on the chopping block too.

Republicans have tried to pass draconian budget measures like this before, and they haven’t succeeded. As recently as 2015 there wasn’t enough support within their own party for a similar budget that was proposed in the GOP-controlled House and failed, 132 to 294. In 2012, the Republican House majority couldn’t muster the votes to pass a transportation bill that would have removed the guarantee of federal transit funding.

With a new president and unilateral Republican control of Washington, however, believers in slash-and-burn budgets are clearly emboldened.

Here’s how Heritage wants to gut federal support for transit and rail — these are the programs that Americans who support transit may soon have to defend.

“Phase out” the Federal Transit Administration — $4 billion annually

In Heritage’s worldview, highways are a national concern but transit is not, therefore the federal government should contribute nothing toward transit. The proposal calls for the 20 percent of federal surface transportation spending that currently goes to transit agencies to be eliminated over five years. There would be no real savings, because the money would simply get spent on highways instead.

Heritage says this would give local governments time to come up with replacement funds. In reality, it would plunge transit agency budgets into chaos, disrupt services that tens of millions of Americans rely on, and wreck the economies of major metropolitan areas.

Eliminate major capital investment in transit — $2.2 billion annually

The FTA’s New Starts program is the largest source of capital funding for major transit expansion projects. Heritage notes that it was “used” by the Obama Administration “to advance its ‘smart growth’ (read: anti-driver) agenda.”

If this policy is ever enacted, plans to expand light rail, bus rapid transit, commuter rail, or subways — not to mention critical repairs to the nation’s largest urban rail networks — would be in mortal jeopardy. Huge highway expansions, meanwhile, would continue to receive a federal match covering at least 80 percent of construction costs.

Eliminate funding for Amtrak – $519 million annually

Heritage calls for eliminating operating subsidies to Amtrak immediately, and phasing out capital subsidies over five years. The irony is that Amtrak’s Northeast Corridor service turns a profit, while the operating subsidies prop up a lot of service to far-flung, less populated areas. Cutting the subsidized portion of Amtrak operations isn’t actually popular with GOP lawmakers representing those parts of the country.

Eliminate funding for TIGER – $510 million annually

The TIGER program represents a small share of federal transportation spending, distributing about 50 grants per year directly to local governments and transit agencies. TIGER has funded a large number of bike, pedestrian, and transit projects, like the Indianapolis Cultural Trail and the Tampa Riverwalk.

In her confirmation hearing last week, prospective Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao said TIGER was popular with representatives and indicated she would look into expanding funding.

But to Heritage, if you can’t drive on it, the feds shouldn’t be funding it. One TIGER project Heritage singles out is a $10.3 million grant for complete streets in Lee County, Florida. Just this month that part of the state was named the most dangerous metro area in the nation for walking. Heritage refers to the project as a “‘Complete Street Initiative’ (read: more congestion).”

Eliminate subsidy for WMATA — $153 million annually

The DC transit agency is already in a budget crisis, and painful service cuts are on the way. WMATA is also in the midst of a major Metro repair and maintenance program to prevent critical safety failures that have recently plagued the system. The sudden loss of federal funding would put the agency in a tailspin and potentially cripple the nation’s capital.

Not if past actions are any indication.  Ain't this some shit.

I was for Bernie; the one guy who could've practically blown Trump out of the water had the primaries rigged against him and now the angry chickens are coming home to roost...

You really think that he will increase funding for transit? Some people believe anything he says. He is a liar.

I know what I won't do.... Make accusations with no basis. When his actual budget comes out, THEN it makes sense to comment. Until then articles like this are nothing more than a witch hunt to serve a liberal agenda.

More speculation from liberals with no actual budget... <_<

While the article is a bit misleading in several cases, read this (the report which they based the article from): 

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/314991-trump-team-prepares-dramatic-cuts

Now, I would be worried, especially if some of the people on the transition team have ties to the foundation the plans are being based from. It would be easier to come up with a plan in their objective to decrease government spending. I looked at the plans, and stuff like TIGER, and the FTA, as well as all subsidies for WMATA would be gone. Their rationale for eliminating WMATA subsidies is so that they can get their act together. Well, WMATA's propsoed station closures were predominantly in low-income communities, and eliminating subsidies would severely cut transit service down in those communities. 

Without the FTA or Capital Investment grants (another program that is proposed to be cut), mass transit projects cannot occur. The report mentions that that the private sector and states would be in charge of managing transit systems (since there would be no federal funding). That's the equivalent of running NICE all over the country. 

Taxes would still increase regardless, because the plan involves for a net decrease in government spending. Local and regional taxes would increase to support for transit systems in many areas. In those areas where public transit is not abundant, there will likely be cuts, constant budget problems, or even termination of all transit service, making the reliance on cars greater, which is not something that we as a country should promote. Some aspects of spending will go up (mainly the defense budget). 

I know that Cuomo and Trump had a discussion on this very issue (among other related ones), and I hope Trump's final plan is not something that royally screws everyone in the long run. But with the people who are working with Trump to create the plan, I don't have too much optimism. 

While the article is a bit misleading in several cases, read this (the report which they based the article from): 

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/314991-trump-team-prepares-dramatic-cuts

Now, I would be worried, especially if some of the people on the transition team have ties to the foundation the plans are being based from. It would be easier to come up with a plan in their objective to decrease government spending. I looked at the plans, and stuff like TIGER, and the FTA, as well as all subsidies for WMATA would be gone. Their rationale for eliminating WMATA subsidies is so that they can get their act together. Well, WMATA's propsoed station closures were predominantly in low-income communities, and eliminating subsidies would severely cut transit service down in those communities. 

Without the FTA or Capital Investment grants (another program that is proposed to be cut), mass transit projects cannot occur. The report mentions that that the private sector and states would be in charge of managing transit systems (since there would be no federal funding). That's the equivalent of running NICE all over the country. 

Taxes would still increase regardless, because the plan involves for a net decrease in government spending. Local and regional taxes would increase to support for transit systems in many areas. In those areas where public transit is not abundant, there will likely be cuts, constant budget problems, or even termination of all transit service, making the reliance on cars greater, which is not something that we as a country should promote. Some aspects of spending will go up (mainly the defense budget). 

I know that Cuomo and Trump had a discussion on this very issue (among other related ones), and I hope Trump's final plan is not something that royally screws everyone in the long run. But with the people who are working with Trump to create the plan, I don't have too much optimism.

Unlike some.people, I'll have a wait and see approach, just like I did with Bush and Obama.

Unlike some.people, I'll have a wait and see approach, just like I did with Bush and Obama.

You can't say you have a wait and see approach when you're already convinced he has saved thousands of jobs already and has America first. That was all campaign rhetoric.

You can't say you have a wait and see approach when you're already convinced he has saved thousands of jobs already and has America first. That was all campaign rhetoric.

I'll repeat myself again. He didn't just save Carrier jobs, but other jobs as well, which indeed adds up to THOUSANDS of jobs.

I'll repeat myself again. He didn't just save Carrier jobs, but other jobs as well, which indeed adds up to THOUSANDS of jobs.

I mean, it was in exchange for a tax break and the jobs he saved were less than half of what was getting lost to Mexico.

More speculation from liberals with no actual budget... <_<

Read a goddamn newspaper article. The Heritage Foundation has always had an incredibly close relationship with Republican presidents and this is already proving to be even closer than usual according to reputable sources. If you think that any part of Trump's transportation plan will do anything to the contrary, you are a fool and have been swindled. I'm sick of your bullshit avoidance of factuality whenever anything related to Trump comes up. I actually read through the Heritage Report. I was horrified, but I actually read through it because I knew it would matter a couple months back. Do the f**king same, and own the idiot you voted for. People like you deserve this clown, not the rest of us. 

I'm skeptical that longtime Republican pet causes like a complete elimination of funding for mass transit will pass.  The GOP has a relatively slim margin in the House of Representatives and there are Republicans who represent urban areas that will be hurt by this.  I'm pretty certain that our local rep GOP here in Syracuse (John Katko) will not vote in favor of this - he's already refused to vote for Trump's Obamacare cuts and he fought his own party in 2015 to save funding for transit when other Republicans wanted to cut the High Density State Program.  It doesn't take too many reps like Katko to oppose this and help the Democrats defeat any such bill.  I'm also doubtful that Donald Trump would do something that could hurt NYC badly like this would.

Read a goddamn newspaper article. The Heritage Foundation has always had an incredibly close relationship with Republican presidents and this is already proving to be even closer than usual according to reputable sources. If you think that any part of Trump's transportation plan will do anything to the contrary, you are a fool and have been swindled. I'm sick of your bullshit avoidance of factuality whenever anything related to Trump comes up. I actually read through the Heritage Report. I was horrified, but I actually read through it because I knew it would matter a couple months back. Do the f**king same, and own the idiot you voted for. People like you deserve this clown, not the rest of us. 

Things like these politically motivated partisan "foundations" are part of the problem in America. They have to draw their revenue from somewhere for their anti-American, pro party-line BS, and it comes in the form of money pulled in from corporations who stand to benefit.

The irony is people rallying against unions don't see these organizations and super PAC's for what they are - unions for special interests and plutocrats.

This is why I habitually say that the .01% is working 24/7/365 against YOU and YOUR interests (yes, including you VG8, you're not in their "club" either), and the only way to counteract this is to get out there and do a hell of a lot more than vote once every 4 years for a figurehead and assume that will change anything.

This is nothing to do with Trump, and everything to do with the political machine that decides the fate of our country and citizenry REGARDLESS OF WHO YOU VOTE FOR.

So what. The fact remains that until an actual budget comes out, these articles are nothing more than speculation.  Next!!  <_< 

Um, you do realize this is straight from his transition team right?

And?  I'll wait until I see the actual budget...

You people just want to b*tch and moan because you hate Republicans and will refuse to give him any chance to do anything, but he won and I'm looking forward to the changes that he and the House and Congress will make.  If liberals were so damn adamant about Trump not being elected, they should've put up a better candidate like Bernie AND voted, but where's the outrage in Hillary stealing the nomination from him?  Not a peep about that huh... Typical... 

Archived