5 Trains on the 7th Av Line...

Deucey

Is there a reason (5) trains on the 7th Av Line are identified as (5) instead of (2) trains (i.e. is the service change I'd determined immediately before 149th/Concourse; labor rules, auditing/accounting, etc)?

I ask bc the (5) I picked up at 28th/7th has '7th Av Express' in its destination display, which means this trip was likely anticipated in the Bronx (unless the destination display can be changed mid-trip).. So why not call it a (2)?

A few days ago (Thursday I believe), I saw quite a few (5) trains going up 7th Ave. They remain as (5) trains because when they aren't going to Nereid (which is normally during the PM rush), they're going to Eastchester-Dyre.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I got a (5) via 7th Ave that same day and it was signed for Nereid.

Usually when any train gets rerouted, it keeps its original label. This is regardless of whether it is express via local or vice versa, or a diversion from the usual line.

The real question is when the (2) is cut back to Rector/SF during GOs and the (5) takes its place, what is the rationale behind internally designating (2) as (5) and (5) as (2)

Is there a reason (5) trains on the 7th Av Line are identified as (5) instead of (2) trains (i.e. is the service change I'd determined immediately before 149th/Concourse; labor rules, auditing/accounting, etc)?

I ask bc the (5) I picked up at 28th/7th has '7th Av Express' in its destination display, which means this trip was likely anticipated in the Bronx (unless the destination display can be changed mid-trip).. So why not call it a (2)?

i find this confusing as well...they should try to update the signs to match what route is running on, even if they have to change it in the middle of a trip. To look at the subway map and there's no 5 on there, when one shows up at the station, it's very confusing!!

It's so they don't need to pay for additional crews.

If the (5) is replacing the (2) to Flatbush, don't the crews that would normally operate the full-length (2) on weekends get reassigned to the extended-length (5)?

Or are you saying that assigned route dictates crew pay rate (ie full-length (5) crews get paid differently than crews on the truncated (2))?

To answer the question, the trains keep their designations as  (2)s and  (5)s even when they run on the Lexington Ave or 7th Avenue lines respectively to actually reduce passenger confusion. I know, it sounds counter-intuitive as that is not the normal route for either line in Manhattan, but in Brooklyn and the Bronx, where the lines run different routes, more so for the latter, it makes more sense. How often does the (2) run to Dyre Av in normal service or the (5) runs local along Eastern Pkwy? It reduces the number of people asking where the train is going. Also, changing the train designation mid-route confuses riders on board the train. Besides, the  (2) / (5) switcheroo occurs often enough that most riders know where the train is going anyhow. It's only at Nevins St or 149 St-Grand Concourse that the majority of the confusion occurs when the lines are rerouted.

To answer the question, the trains keep their designations as  (2)s and  (5)s even when they run on the Lexington Ave or 7th Avenue lines respectively to actually reduce passenger confusion. I know, it sounds counter-intuitive as that is not the normal route for either line in Manhattan, but in Brooklyn and the Bronx, where the lines run different routes, more so for the latter, it makes more sense. How often does the (2) run to Dyre Av in normal service or the (5) runs local along Eastern Pkwy? It reduces the number of people asking where the train is going. Also, changing the train designation mid-route confuses riders on board the train. Besides, the  (2) / (5) switcheroo occurs often enough that most riders know where the train is going anyhow. It's only at Nevins St or 149 St-Grand Concourse that the majority of the confusion occurs when the lines are rerouted.

Actually that's incorrect.   A large number of Manhattan passengers look confused too, and so they don't board, which can mean unbalanced loads.

To answer the question, the trains keep their designations as (2)s and (5)s even when they run on the Lexington Ave or 7th Avenue lines respectively to actually reduce passenger confusion. I know, it sounds counter-intuitive as that is not the normal route for either line in Manhattan, but in Brooklyn and the Bronx, where the lines run different routes, more so for the latter, it makes more sense. How often does the (2) run to Dyre Av in normal service or the (5) runs local along Eastern Pkwy? It reduces the number of people asking where the train is going. Also, changing the train designation mid-route confuses riders on board the train. Besides, the (2) / (5) switcheroo occurs often enough that most riders know where the train is going anyhow. It's only at Nevins St or 149 St-Grand Concourse that the majority of the confusion occurs when the lines are rerouted.

IIRC, aren't some of these reroutes scheduled and not spontaneous?

I still dont get how life long new yorkers dont get how our subways run...When I see the (5) on 7th...I treat it as the (2) vice versa with the (2) on Lex....The Tracks themselves dont change! As someone pointed out this happens sooo frequently we shud be immune to it!

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Because some either take cabs everywhere or take the local bus.  My boss is like that. She doesn't like taking the subway because of the stairs and she takes the local bus to the office.  Otherwise, she gets the car out of the garage and drives to our other offices.

Archived