Preliminary Incoming NYMTA Xcelsior Assignments

The Real

supposedly its because i heard to maintain uniformity in terms of fleet because they feel they interchange parts between xd's and etc 

on that topic will they move out the hybrids?

If that was the case shouldn't they have gotten LFS buses over the XD40?

Yea, that's true, the CNG buses always retire in masses because they all have relatively the same expiry date of the tank. I feel like Cuomo just gave a big push for the MTA for newer better buses and it comes down to getting rid of the older buses for newer tech.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

supposedly its because i heard to maintain uniformity in terms of fleet because they feel they interchange parts between xd's and etc 

on that topic will they move out the hybrids?

Why can't CS get Novas :(

They probably would've gotten Novas if the original order for 8090 and up didnt get delayed for so long. New Flyer got that instead because they were building & delivering buses at a fast rate, and they needed to retire those Orion Vs asap.

I get that the XN40 is a new model and it should be tested as such, but why do the XD60's need to be piloted? Are they that much different than the Bronx batch from 2013 and the MTA Bus batch from last year?

There's some slightly different specs between all of the XD60 orders that may have needed extended testing.

They probably would've gotten Novas if the original order for 8090 and up didnt get delayed for so long. New Flyer got that instead because they were building & delivering buses at a fast rate, and they needed to retire those Orion Vs asap.

That makes sense, it's too bad the novas perform much better in Flushing than the XD40's sepecially with the pot holes.

The Bronx WF getting XN40s may set the tone for XN60s to hit WF as well. Depends on this potential XN60 assignments, but I'll wait & see

A lot of the questions some of you are asking, and things being speculated about are always found in the first page of the Fleet & Depots thread. It's been posted that West Farms and Gleason were getting XN40/60 models for a year now.

Actually this order will push out those remaining high floor buses since Tuskegee is set to receive 73 buses. Either way they're being retired once the new artics come in. They only have 75 high floor artics, so between the new buses and the buses coming over from Stengel, that should get rid of all of them.

Should allow for shorter dwell times since all buses will have three doors and low floors for the elderly people.

Well, the best 5600 and 5700 D60's aren't going anywhere until next artic order is delivered in 2019. They are still good buses no matter the interior condition. They just needed to be cleaned better and more frequently.

I get that the XN40 is a new model and it should be tested as such, but why do the XD60's need to be piloted? Are they that much different than the Bronx batch from 2013 and the MTA Bus batch from last year?

Anytime a new fleet is delivered that was part of a new procurement and not an option order will require pilot testing and approval. Even if the new fleet has the exact same specs, MTA will still require 2-5 pilots depending on the bus type. This order however has different specs from both the previous XD60 lots.

No, because there no buses available for CS when MTA performed regularly scheduled maintenance on the Orion V's, and found that they were not fit to run in revenue service. At that time an emergency order was needed, and would be exercised as options. Nova did not have any available production slots, however New Flyer did. They pumped out 72 more buses and sent all those to CS. There is no other place to put them that would meet MTA needs and requirements, so when it was decided that fleets would be streamlined for parts and ease of maintenance, CS and Bus Company will get Xcelsiors.

Yea, that's true, the CNG buses always retire in masses because they all have relatively the same expiry date of the tank. I feel like Cuomo just gave a big push for the MTA for newer better buses and it comes down to getting rid of the older buses for newer tech.

Not just CNG, but any fleet here because as James said MTA orders hundreds to thousands of buses at a time. There will always be mass retirements here. No matte the model.

could someone tell me what is the current peek bus requirerments on the b35 are.

There are 69 runs, so that's about 46 buses needed with spares. They will likely need around 32-34 artics for the B35. Some runs are interlined, so the requirement and run blocks will be changed when artics are introduced.

A lot of the questions some of you are asking, and things being speculated about are always found in the first page of the Fleet & Depots thread. It's been posted that West Farms and Gleason were getting XN40/60 models for a year now.

Well, the best 5600 and 5700 D60's aren't going anywhere until next artic order is delivered in 2019. They are still good buses no matter the interior condition. They just needed to be cleaned better and more frequently.

Anytime a new fleet is delivered that was part of a new procurement and not an option order will require pilot testing and approval. Even if the new fleet has the exact same specs, MTA will still require 2-5 pilots depending on the bus type. This order however has different specs from both the previous XD60 lots.

No, because there no buses available for CS when MTA performed regularly scheduled maintenance on the Orion V's, and found that they were not fit to run in revenue service. At that time an emergency order was needed, and would be exercised as options. Nova did not have any available production slots, however New Flyer did. They pumped out 72 more buses and sent all those to CS. There is no other place to put them that would meet MTA needs and requirements, so when it was decided that fleets would be streamlined for parts and ease of maintenance, CS and Bus Company will get Xcelsiors.

Not just CNG, but any fleet here because as James said MTA orders hundreds to thousands of buses at a time. There will always be mass retirements here. No matte the model.

There are 69 runs, so that's about 46 buses needed with spares. They will likely need around 32-34 artics for the B35. Some runs are interlined, so the requirement and run blocks will be changed when artics are introduced.

thanks

If you're talking about Tuskegee, aren't they getting those artics this year? 

If you're talking about Tuskegee, aren't they getting those artics this year? 

The XD60's are only retiring the remaining 5400s and 5500s and the worst of the 5600s and 5700s. Combine that with the fact Quill will need more artics for the M79 SBS this spring, and there may still be D60HFs at Tuskegee for the foreseeable future.

The XD60's are only retiring the remaining 5400s and 5500s and the worst of the 5600s and 5700s. Combine that with the fact Quill will need more artics for the M79 SBS this spring, and there may still be D60HFs at Tuskegee for the foreseeable future.

Nevertheless it's odd because they only have about 75 of the 2003 artics left, and yet they are getting about that in new artics, so the math doesn't add up.  

Nevertheless it's odd because they only have about 75 of the 2003 artics left, and yet they are getting about that in new artics, so the math doesn't add up.

It's possible that some LFSA, even the 2010s, may get transferred to the bronx to kill older buses. Maybe in this mess, some LFSA go to Brooklyn too.

It's possible that some LFSA, even the 2010s, may get transferred to the bronx to kill older buses. Maybe in this mess, some LFSA go to Brooklyn too.

Well anything is possible, but given what I've seen from Cuomo and my exchanges with his office regarding transportation, I would come to conclusion that the (MTA) is getting these buses to push out the 2003 artics.  They've been aggressive in their approach of getting rid of the high floor buses, which should be applauded.  I'm all for keeping old fleet if they are still in good shape, but I strongly support these buses being retired despite them having something left in the tank so to speak.  They will be more environmentally friendly and more passenger friendly, and it seems as if Cuomo agrees given what he has been doing.  I thought about this whole push to modernize buses with USB ports and internet, and I think it's the right way to go to make buses more marketable.  If anything maybe it gets more people using buses and improves their experience, even if buses are still viewed as slow.

One thing I have been pleased with is how much quieter some of the newer buses are.  I was observed a bus one night as I walking over to the Henry Hudson Parkway for the express bus and noticed how quiet the latest 40 footer bus was that was running on the Bx10.  If you didn't look, you wouldn't have even known there was a bus going down the street.  

Well anything is possible, but given what I've seen from Cuomo and my exchanges with his office regarding transportation, I would come to conclusion that the (MTA) is getting these buses to push out the 2003 artics.  They've been aggressive in their approach of getting rid of the high floor buses, which should be applauded.  I'm all for keeping old fleet if they are still in good shape, but I strongly support these buses being retired despite them having something left in the tank so to speak.  They will be more environmentally friendly and more passenger friendly, and it seems as if Cuomo agrees given what he has been doing.  I thought about this whole push to modernize buses with USB ports and internet, and I think it's the right way to go to make buses more marketable.  If anything maybe it gets more people using buses and improves their experience, even if buses are still viewed as slow.

There's not enough new buses on order to replace all of the D60HFs. The 5600's and 5700's will be staying until 2019, when the next articulated order comes. They may be pushed out of Tuskegee, but they'll be somewhere for the next two years.

There's not enough new buses on order to replace all of the D60HFs. The 5600's and 5700's will be staying until 2019, when the next articulated order comes. They may be pushed out of Tuskegee, but they'll be somewhere for the next two years.

Well that's obvious.  I was talking specifically about Tuskegee.  In other words, once those new buses come in to Tuskegee, I don't see why in the world they would keep those old ones.  For what?  Even if they keep a few of them for back up, I mean what's the point of keeping tons of 14 year old buses when you have new fleet?  Once the new ones are shown to be reliable, I would imagine the old ones will be retired just like they did with the Q10 line.  

Well that's obvious.  I was talking specifically about Tuskegee.  In other words, once those new buses come in to Tuskegee, I don't see why in the world they would keep those old ones.  For what?  Even if they keep a few of them for back up, I mean what's the point of keeping tons of 14 year old buses when you have new fleet?  Once the new ones are shown to be reliable, I would imagine the old ones will be retired just like they did with the Q10 line.  

Well that depends on what swaps occur. There is a possibility, (although its hasn't been confirmed), that Quill might need more Novas for the M79 when its becomes SBS. Tuskegee may end up giving them some. There's 10-15 buses right there...

Well that depends on what swaps occur. There is a possibility, (although its hasn't been confirmed), that Quill might need more Novas for the M79 when its becomes SBS. Tuskegee may end up giving them some. There's 10-15 buses right there...

I would expect some changes to come anyway.  I mean the (MTA) is always swapping buses to keep mileage reasonable so even if OH gets those buses, I wouldn't be shocked to see some of those 2003 buses hanging around.  Aside from that I don't know what goes on at that depot (Tuskegee) but in the summertime, they are always short on buses and run a ton of those old ones, which is really annoying because the AC on them is so clogged from dirt and build up that the AC is almost non-existent.  My uncle used to work out of the old 100th street depot and he would tell me that the buses were never cleaned.  I remember it well since I would go with him some weekends to the depot.  In fact he would clean up his buses a bit in between runs when he could.  Sad but true.  Seems like very little has changed aside from the name of the depot. 

• 1 month later...

The M86 has had nothing but newer artics. The M101/102/103 riders should see those buses, or at a minimum see as many of the newer low floor buses as possible. Not only that, but I'm sick of riding those filthy old artics with the green signage that's a PITA to read. Hopefully the whole boarding process on those three lines will improve. Along with that, newer buses should mean no more of those worn out cloth seats. An embarassment to pay $2.75 to ride such filthy stinking buses buses in 2017 (and yes those buses stink mainly from a lack of cleaning). They can't retire them soon enough. Tuskegee needs to be better with the upkeep of their buses in general, but I find the M86 buses to be a bit cleaner than buses on the M101/102/103.

They should keep them around until someone gets all red out lololol

Really? 139 XD60s (5987-6125) + 92 NovaBus LFSAs (5439-5530) leaves just 29-33 of the 2003 D60s remaining in service once it's all said & done.

What is not mentioned here is you're not looking that the Ds in the Bronx are also shot to shit as well. With the LFSAs from Stengel and (Maybe those out of FLA when the switching of buses happens) arrive.

Really? 139 XD60s (5987-6125) + 92 NovaBus LFSAs (5439-5530) leaves just 29-33 of the 2003 D60s remaining in service once it's all said & done.

What is not mentioned here is you're not looking that the Ds in the Bronx are also shot to shit as well. With the LFSAs from Stengel and (Maybe those out of FLA when the switching of buses happens) arrive.

You do realize that 1. the last of the 96 RTS need to go and 2. It's not a bus-bus replacement. Some of these buses are being used for expansion.

no you have to enclude the xn60's the will replace and move some xd60's from wf

Quill may not need any Novas from anyone.

They'll just wrap a few more Novas that they currently have. Currently they have 27 unwrapped Novas. Thats more than sufficient. I can see them wrapping 10-15 just to be safe.

Then the M14 will be the line with mainly D60's.

• 1 month later...

no you have to enclude the xn60's the will replace and move some xd60's from wf

You mean the D60s & LFSAs at WF

There are no XD60's at West Farms to begin with.

He meant to say Ds

Archived