PANYNJ issues preliminary engineering RFP for LaGuardia AirTrain

P3F

The planned AirTrain is part of the modernization and transportation of LaGuardia. With the AirTrain, the airport would be less than 30 minutes away from Midtown Manhattan with a 15-minute Long Island Rail Road ride between midtown and Willets Point and a six-minute AirTrain ride to LaGuardia.

The New York Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) has already begun preliminary engineering on a new Willets Point complex that will include a new LIRR station and new 7- line subway station. The new AirTrain station at Willets Point will be integrated with the construction of the two new MTA stations into a new complex that will create a seamless transfer for passengers with luggage between the new LIRR and 7-line subway stations, and the new LaGuardia AirTrain station.

The winning team will carry out three components during preliminary engineering work that include:

• Construction of up to two new AirTrain stations at the new terminal buildings at the airport;
  • Construction of an AirTrain station at Willets Point;
  • Construction related to the "right-of-way" for the train from the airport to Willets Point.

The Request for Proposals is open to all qualified firms and is due in four weeks.

"The millions of passengers who travel through LaGuardia each year deserve a convenient and reliable mass transit option that connects this key transportation hub to the heart of Manhattan," New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said. "We are transforming LaGuardia into a world-class transportation gateway, and an essential piece of the puzzle is ensuring rail mass transit access to the airport. With this action, we're taking the next major step toward making this a reality."

The governor's office notes that by 2030, the number of passengers at LaGuardia is expected to increase by more than 6 million passengers annually and the AirTrain is a key pillar of the airport's strategy to accommodate this growth.

The winning firm will also conduct a detailed ridership analysis and begin analyzing public-private partnerships and other financing options to identify the most advantageous financing plan for the AirTrain. This process will also determine how best to consolidate 10 car rental companies at Willets Point, as well as how best to add additional parking options for airport passengers there. The selected consultants will work with additional input from financial and legal advisors. Study results are expected within a year from the contract award date.

Source: http://www.rtands.com/index.php/track-maintenance/off-track-maintenance/panynj-issues-preliminary-engineering-rfp-for-laguardia-airtrain.html?channel=

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if they ever explored a AirTrain from Astoria Blvd (N)(W) via the Grand Central? or even from Woodside via the BQE to link the LIRR and Subway. Seems faster routes mirror the M60/Q70. Mostly Highway routes NIMBYS should be on the lower side. Anyone know the route of the (N) extension plan from the 90's? 

I wonder if they ever explored a AirTrain from Astoria Blvd (N)(W) via the Grand Central? or even from Woodside via the BQE to link the LIRR and Subway. Seems faster routes mirror the M60/Q70. Mostly Highway routes NIMBYS should be on the lower side. Anyone know the route of the (N) extension plan from the 90's? 

They did from Astoria Blvd. http://tstc.org/bulletin/20010618/mtr32209.htm

So what's the opposition there? There's a 6 lane Expressway already there? Ditmas maybe I could kinda see the pushback there. Is there a reason for their plan to create the People Mover from Ditmas and not Astoria Blvd? That seems the issue.

I find it hilarious that the same day the city says the  (7)  <7> doesn't have enough capacity for the planned Sunnyside Yard development, the Port Authority pushes through with this mess...

Indeed great point. This seems rushed kinda like a where doing just enough to shut people up.

It really should have been the extension of the Astoria line to LaGuardia Airport, not this dinky AirTrain. It could have been 20 minutes or less to Manhattan. Any new subway terminal could have more than two tracks, providing slightly more service than the line currently does.

So what's the opposition there? There's a 6 lane Expressway already there? Ditmas maybe I could kinda see the pushback there. Is there a reason for their plan to create the People Mover from Ditmas and not Astoria Blvd? That seems the issue.

One serious engineering  issue is getting any sort of elevated guideway past the Hell Gate line viaduct over the Grand Central Parkway at 42nd St. The bridge basically blocks everything except the existing roads.

The major issue with an elevated train from the west is that a runway leads up right to the edge of the GCP, so heights for everything are restricted. If you drive from the west to LGA on GCP you'll notice a section with extremely short floodlights; this is the runway's flight path.

It's so dumb. It goes the wrong way, meaning it will save no one any travel time whatsoever. The no-build option is better. Ugh.

Would make more sense, to me at least, to build a 3-6 car light rail to replace the M60 between LGA and B-way/125th St. Cheaper, more capacity, solves a crosstown transit need and ties into all the Manhattan trunk lines/express trains.

It could even be done like Muni in SF - street running in Harlem, and then separate ROW in the GCP median.

I wonder if they plan to rebuild Willets Point on the (7) in any way, and if they intend to open the northbound side platform 24/7 or not. (Since it appears AirTrain access would be easiest from that platform.)

Would make more sense, to me at least, to build a 3-6 car light rail to replace the M60 between LGA and B-way/125th St. Cheaper, more capacity, solves a crosstown transit need and ties into all the Manhattan trunk lines/express trains.

It could even be done like Muni in SF - street running in Harlem, and then separate ROW in the GCP median.

Sure....that would be an excellent idea, but they'll just argue that the M60 already does what you're proposing, so keep the M60.

Sure....that would be an excellent idea, but they'll just argue that the M60 already does what you're proposing, so keep the M60.

Which is why AirTrain LGA is a waste. But if Cuomo wants a train, may as well make it useful on two fronts: congestion reduction and serving an actual need, not a "it'd be nice if..." want.

The major issue with an elevated train from the west is that a runway leads up right to the edge of the GCP, so heights for everything are restricted. If you drive from the west to LGA on GCP you'll notice a section with extremely short floodlights; this is the runway's flight path.

Your right that did cross my mind.

Archived