Brooklyn residents demand two way tolling on VZ Bridge to keep NJ out

trainfan22

They want to build a wall — and make New Jersey pay for it!

The Feds must once again charge Brooklyn-bound drivers traversing the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge its famously exorbitant toll when a cashless collection system is put in place this summer — if only to ensure New Jersey commuters stay off Brooklyn streets, a Park Slope panel demanded this week.

Community Board 6’s district manager says that Jerseyites have for too long been clogging up Brooklyn highways and byways while en route to Manhattan, spewing exhaust and littering the streets thanks to a two-decade old law that allowed them free passage into the borough via the city’s longest span.

Link to rest of the article: http://www.brooklyndaily.com/stories/2017/6/dtg-two-way-verrazano-toll-2017-02-10-bk.html

Oh boy this again...  <_< The real victims here are Staten Islanders who are the only ones that pay a toll to leave their borough which goes back into the pocket of the (MTA) to pay for the LIRR and the like.  If they're that concerned about Jersey folks coming into Brooklyn, make Jersey residents pay the fee, but not NY residents.  

My thanks to Via Garibaldi 8 and pacemak3r for their comments on this post as it got me started on doing some basic research. If you look up on the internet, Brooklyn Community Board # 6 boundaries, the answer is quite clear as to why someone picked up a rock and uncovered this idea that should have stayed dead. Of all the community Boards in Brooklyn that should be complaining about traffic, when this board opens up on the subject, it gets attention. I think the reason is that someone's trip to the gym every morning is impacted when there are problems on the Gowanus or the bridges or tunnel. 

Did we hear a peep from this Board about the impact upon Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, Bensonhurst, Gravesend and I can go on and on about how the various Community Boards in those areas complained quite vocally about the same problems only to find out that it fell upon deaf ears over many years? Did they care about the residents of Staten Island especially South Beach and other communities along the Expressway where the air some days was thick enough from the pollution that it be cut with a knife? That is none of their business as this board wants the traffic out as they consider themselves better than anyone else and would rather let others have the problems. 

What concerns me is that something like this will get attention while the complaints of the other boards go unheeded, The fact that this one appears on this board out of the blue makes me think that as not only is the one who must be driven to his favorite gym goes there every day could (or one of his aides commented) have made a comment in passing (He could take the Q and the F train) but the one who as Bob Woodward wrote many years ago, "the worst place to be in between this one and a camera" lives in the area as well may be involved. 

The BQE and SI Expwy are in their neighborhood, what do they expect? Maybe NYers couldn't drive on the NJ Turnpike?

With everyone complaining about everything and protesting about everything, I can actually see them try to ban NYers on the Turnpike,  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

• 2 months later...

I can understand reinstating two way tolls. But the reasoning they're using is dumb since NJ oommuters obviously paid a toll to enter NY.

Right!!!! thats what i don't understand because if you make it a 2 way toll, everything will still even out, EXCEPT! If they enter back into Jersey Via Manhattan, then its a free ride!

Right!!!! thats what i don't understand because if you make it a 2 way toll, everything will still even out, EXCEPT! If they enter back into Jersey Via Manhattan, then its a free ride!

It's interesting, if they return to NJ via Manhattan, then the use of the VZB is free and MTA "loses" that toll.

If two way is reinstated, either the MTA gets their $5.76 and/or the Holland, Lincoln, GWB gets more eastbound traffic to avoid the VZB toll.

If they institute the "Move NY" plan, the toll on the VZB would be cheaper, ($4.42 two way, or $8.84 one way. Based on the 48% e-z pass discount part of the plan). But if they try to return to NJ via Manhattan, they'd have to pay a toll on the East River crossings, so they may opt to use the VZB to return to NJ

How much of Brooklyn are they talking because I can careless about Jerseynites coming into Brooklyn.

My exact response to the thread title when I first saw this thread was - "Not this one!"

CB6 represents Carroll Gardens, Cobble Hill, Columbia Waterfront, Gowanus, Park Slope and Red Hook.  Interesting that they're now suddenly complaining, as if this is something new?  This seems to be tied to folks with money moving in throwing their affluence around...

My thanks to Via Garibaldi 8 and pacemak3r for their comments on this post as it got me started on doing some basic research. If you look up on the internet, Brooklyn Community Board # 6 boundaries, the answer is quite clear as to why someone picked up a rock and uncovered this idea that should have stayed dead. Of all the community Boards in Brooklyn that should be complaining about traffic, when this board opens up on the subject, it gets attention. I think the reason is that someone's trip to the gym every morning is impacted when there are problems on the Gowanus or the bridges or tunnel. 

Did we hear a peep from this Board about the impact upon Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, Bensonhurst, Gravesend and I can go on and on about how the various Community Boards in those areas complained quite vocally about the same problems only to find out that it fell upon deaf ears over many years? Did they care about the residents of Staten Island especially South Beach and other communities along the Expressway where the air some days was thick enough from the pollution that it be cut with a knife? That is none of their business as this board wants the traffic out as they consider themselves better than anyone else and would rather let others have the problems. 

What concerns me is that something like this will get attention while the complaints of the other boards go unheeded, The fact that this one appears on this board out of the blue makes me think that as not only is the one who must be driven to his favorite gym goes there every day could (or one of his aides commented) have made a comment in passing (He could take the Q and the F train) but the one who as Bob Woodward wrote many years ago, "the worst place to be in between this one and a camera" lives in the area as well may be involved. 

Yeah, CB6 has been complaining about the same problems right along with CB10 in regards to traffic along the Gowanus; most certainly not anything new... The difference is CB10 eventually got the message & remained more focused on addressing "local" issues (like they're supposed to).... What it really is, is that CB6 wants to represent all of Brooklyn - and I am far from the only person with that sentiment (have my eldest uncle tell it)....

As I've said, I don't "rep Brooklyn, I just live here".... At the same time, for anyone that pays attention to these types of things, CB6 is making  Brooklyn look bad, with the driving miss daisy shit..... Targeting NJ motorists, when it's NY motorists clogging up the Gowanus & the SIE, is making the members of that board sound real stupid right about now...

If anything, CB15 should be as loud as CB6 & CB10... Yet, I don't hear as much as a peep out of them... Wonder why that is.....

----

for those that don't know....

* VG8 broke down CB6 back on the first page of the thread...

* CB15 represents everything south of Midwood, west of Marine Park, and east of Russian Brighton Beach

* CB10 represents Bay Ridge, Dyker Hgts, Ft Hamilton.... that general area of the borough...

Archived