Real Time Data for B, D, N, Q, R, W in CityMapper App

Abba

I just tried it here in my office and it seems to work pretty good... I used Bryant Park for the hell of it since the (B)(D)(F)(M) lines have no countdown clocks.  Why doesn't the (MTA) have this?  All they have is the (1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6) trains.  <_<

Most of the MTA apps are abandonware. Look at their subway apps; the Weekender was last updated in 2015 for the extension of the (7). The TripPlanner and Subway Time apps date back even further. I think the only apps that are updated on a semi-regular basis are the TrainTime apps for Metro-North and the LIRR. Your best bet for real-time subway data is going to be through the third-party apps. It's probably for the best given how well their in-house efforts have been over time.

Does this use the bluetooth countdown system at all?

Could be. I wasn't aware the MTA released the data to third-parties yet. If they did, that's cool.

EDIT: I just checked the datamine section of the MTA site and it turns out they have released the real-time data feeds for the Broadway lines and the (B) and (D). Presumably, this comes from the Bluetooth equipment as there is no other way for the trains to be tracked otherwise. As for the dropouts, that is to be expected as the tracking system itself is in beta. We're finally getting there...

Most of the MTA apps are abandonware. Look at their subway apps; the Weekender was last updated in 2015 for the extension of the (7). The TripPlanner and Subway Time apps date back even further. I think the only apps that are updated on a semi-regular basis are the TrainTime apps for Metro-North and the LIRR. Your best bet for real-time subway data is going to be through the third-party apps. It's probably for the best given how well their in-house efforts have been over time.

Could be. I wasn't aware the MTA released the data to third-parties yet. If they did, that's cool.

EDIT: I just checked the datamine section of the MTA site and it turns out they have released the real-time data feeds for the Broadway lines and the (B) and (D). Presumably, this comes from the Bluetooth equipment as there is no other way for the trains to be tracked otherwise. As for the dropouts, that is to be expected as the tracking system itself is in beta. We're finally getting there...

Yeah, the only (MTA) apps I have is for Metro-North.  Track Time has been extremely helpful.  I find the subway apps to be awful, and they usually don't work (especially during rush hour lol).

Wait a sec... I thought only the  (N)  (Q)  (R)  (W) had the bluetooth devices?

Also, "Transit" is a very good third party app if you are looking for arrival times and other information. Works pretty much everywhere. I can even look up when the next Jubilee line train is coming if I'm so inclined...

Wait a sec... I thought only the (N)(Q)(R)(W) had the bluetooth devices?

Also, "Transit" is a very good third party app if you are looking for arrival times and other information. Works pretty much everywhere. I can even look up when the next Jubilee line train is coming if I'm so inclined...

Yeah, that's true about the Bluetooth. And for "Transit", I use that, however during less busy times most trains are not covered. However I love the app!

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I'm starting to see newer Broadway type countdown clocks all over. Fulton and Fourth Ave lines in Brooklyn seems like there expanding. 

I think they were working on a variation of ATS for the B division as well (not to be confused with CBTC, I'm talking about the ability for the lettered lines to be controlled/tracked by the Rail Control Center like how the numbered lines are today.)

The next Jubilee line train is probably due 2 minutes from now, with one having just left the station.  :lol:

I use Google Maps. Go to the map, click on a subway stop, click on a route, and it shows when the next train will arrive in each direction. But it only shows the next train in each direction. Doesn't show when the following trains should arrive. I can can click on a bus stop, select any route, and it will list when each route will arrive and in which direction. Works great for me.

I use Google Maps. Go to the map, click on a subway stop, click on a route, and it shows when the next train will arrive in each direction. But it only shows the next train in each direction. Doesn't show when the following trains should arrive. I can can click on a bus stop, select any route, and it will list when each route will arrive and in which direction. Works great for me.

the arrival time for letter trains shown on Google Maps are scheduled, not real time.

• 1 month later...

So last week the feeds were down for a couple days.They came back Thursday and are working very good.Citymapper has a feature now that you can compare scheduled with real time.But it's amazing.I thought this was years away.

So last week the feeds were down for a couple days.They came back Thursday and are working very good.Citymapper has a feature now that you can compare scheduled with real time.But it's amazing.I thought this was years away.

Waiting for an IRT type system it was years away plus this is just riderside upgrades no ATS or anything. You can thank the advancements in tech and wireless standards for the push. Hella cheaper and versatile. 

How accurate is this system? Right now It's showing Manhattan bound (Q) trains and 86th St (Bay Ridge) bound (W) trains at 36th Street/4th Ave. 

Note: I was checking on the Transit App

That's Gravesend-86th St not Bay Ridge...

The (Q) is an (N) to 96 Street... they sign them as (Q) via Sea Beach for "customer convenience"

Archived