Real Time Data for B, D, N, Q, R, W in CityMapper App

Abba

It's well documented that people who are from out of town generally have a hard time deciphering our maps, particularly if they're used to the no-frills diagrams that exist in the rest of the world.

It’s well-documented that even residents of New York City cannot read the map properly. While cars can switch lanes and end up anywhere because the roads are all connected, some folks apparently think that the train has some steering wheel that lets the train operator switch tracks at will and bore holes to access other intersecting tunnels.

Of course I have a different view because I am experienced in reading the map, but I think there is one solution that could help both tourists and locals: literally spend minutes familiarizing yourself with it. You get to see how it works, and maybe even plan ahead a little.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

You have to remember that not everyone is a rail fan like many of us are. Locals tend to only familiarize themselves with a few routes and lines as these are the ones they use on a daily basis. Tourists for the most part are confused by our subway because where they come from, there are much fever rapid transit lines to remember and deal with. Also, our standard map is pretty useless on the weekends, which are prime usage times for tourists. Look at last weekend's service changes for instance. Even if one was familiar with the map, they'd be confused with the myriad of service disruptions that happen.

• 1 month later...

Lately the feed has been very good.they took it down for about a week ( Broadway lines) since it came back almost 3 weeks ago it hasn't went down and from my testing it works very good.

To be fair, most riders have no idea of the track layout and really have no interest in figuring that out. It's all irrelevant information for them. You're absolutely right in regards to the side signs, the announcements and the FIND signs/strip maps, but really, what can you do?

Enjoy the fact that a (W) bound for 86 St/Bk will have seats at Whitehall because Brooklyn bound passengers haven't caught on that it'll still go to DeKalb and Barclays.

Archived