I want to work for MTA!

bxshayshay4u

I applied to over 30+ positions (that i qualify for) within the last year. I never receive a call back. Any tips on how to at least get a call back for interview or testing??

I know they receive 1000's of resumes... What can i do to stand out?

I have a family member who worked for an agency for almost 20 years. will mentioning that help?

Please advise....

Next month, there will be a link on this website with all of the information you need.

Thanks for the info and where is this going to be held? What are the jobs that the mta has that a 17 yr old can do? Last question sorry for all these questions but what does a traffic checker have to do like do they go to the bus depot and speak to drivers about the commutes of customers?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Most positions require to file an application to take a test. These positions are listed on their website when they become available. And once you take the test, the wait can be a couple of years. Which positions are you interested in?

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

I have a bachelors degree so i apply to ALL of the positions that require a degree and customer service experience. I also have been applying to all the staff analyst trainee positions and writing cover letters. 

I'm registered to take the exam for train conductor in few months but the positions i'm referring to are the ones posted on the website that are accepting applications.... which i continue to apply and qualify for and don't get a call back.

Thanks for the info and where is this going to be held? What are the jobs that the mta has that a 17 yr old can do? Last question sorry for all these questions but what does a traffic checker have to do like do they go to the bus depot and speak to drivers about the commutes of customers?

As far as where it's going to be held, just patiently wait for the Notice of Examination (NOE) to come out, which will have all of the relevant information. As far as what they physically do, click here for more information.

As far as other jobs that you can apply to - if I was you, apply for the three [3] Bus Operator positions, especially if you already have your Class D license. The reason why is because, from my experience, although you need to have a clean license for three [3] years, as per the previous NOEs, which can be viewed here, here & here, you need to have the Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP) by the time of appointment (aka when they call you down to Livingston Street), not by the time you take the examination. In addition, depending on your list number as a result of filing & taking these examinations, it can easily be at least a year or two before they reach your list number.

Questions? Feel free to ask. We're all here to help each other...

As far as where it's going to be held, just patiently wait for the Notice of Examination (NOE) to come out, which will have all of the relevant information. As far as what they physically do, click here for more information.

As far as other jobs that you can apply to - if I was you, apply for the three [3] Bus Operator positions, especially if you already have your Class D license. The reason why is because, from my experience, although you need to have a clean license for three [3] years, as per the previous NOEs, which can be viewed here, here & here, you need to have the Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP) by the time of appointment (aka when they call you down to Livingston Street), not by the time you take the examination. In addition, depending on your list number as a result of filing & taking these examinations, it can easily be at least a year or two before they reach your list number.

Questions? Feel free to ask. We're all here to help each other...

Thanks for helping me also I'm 17 yrs old do I get to pick which depot I want to work out let's say if I'm going to be a traffic checker

Thanks for helping me also I'm 17 yrs old do I get to pick which depot I want to work out let's say if I'm going to be a traffic checker

No problem. As far as which depot, I would worry first about getting the actual position, including being hired by the MTA. Then you can worry about all the other details, including which depot you will be working out of, if that applies at all.

No problem. As far as which depot, I would worry first about getting the actual position, including being hired by the MTA. Then you can worry about all the other details, including which depot you will be working out of, if that applies at all.

Is it necessary for me to take an exam to be a traffic checker? Also what do I need to present so I can be hired?

Is it necessary for me to take an exam to be a traffic checker? Also what do I need to present so I can be hired?

Like I said, just wait patiently for the Notice of Examination to come out next month. Then all of your questions will be answered.

Patience my friend...

Young you seem pretty knowledgeable on these matters so if you don't mind me asking, a year ago (Jan 2016) I applied for the Metro North Conductor Trainee position. In march of 2016 I took the test and passed and actually completed 3/4 steps including background check. Just recently as of Jan 2017 I was asked via email to update and resubmit my resume. I called and was told the recruiter for the conductor position pulled my file . My question is, what does this mean if anything, and is it hopeful to say that maybe I should be hearing about coming in for the fourth and final step which would be an interview/drug test?

Young you seem pretty knowledgeable on these matters so if you don't mind me asking, a year ago (Jan 2016) I applied for the Metro North Conductor Trainee position. In march of 2016 I took the test and passed and actually completed 3/4 steps including background check. Just recently as of Jan 2017 I was asked via email to update and resubmit my resume. I called and was told the recruiter for the conductor position pulled my file . My question is, what does this mean if anything, and is it hopeful to say that maybe I should be hearing about coming in for the fourth and final step which would be an interview/drug test?

Honestly, I'm more familiar with NYC Transit if anything, however, I would say that you should be hearing something soon about the fourth and final step. If you don't hear back from them by March 13th or 20th, I would give them a "polite" call to find out what the story is. Just make sure you stay on top of it!! If not, you're going to loose out big time!!

Yes I have been staying on top of it, and the people I speak with are very nice. It's just more of a broad answer that you get in terms of how the test results are good for up to two years. I get the feeling that nobody wants to be misleading although I know that the next step is within arms reach. I'm not sure there is much else I can do but be patient like I have been, hopefully I will hear something soon. Thanks for the response

Yes I have been staying on top of it, and the people I speak with are very nice. It's just more of a broad answer that you get in terms of how the test results are good for up to two years. I get the feeling that nobody wants to be misleading although I know that the next step is within arms reach. I'm not sure there is much else I can do but be patient like I have been, hopefully I will hear something soon. Thanks for the response

You're welcome.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived