Weekend X28 service to be permanently restored

Union Tpke

For now... I've heard that MCI is coming up with a new design to replace the D series, and the previews have not been good...

Well I haven't been wild about anything from them from 2008 on.  The newer buses are ugly and look cheaply made, and may I add louder too, along with those annoying automated announcements.

For now... I've heard that MCI is coming up with a new design to replace the D series, and the previews have not been good...

Let's wait for those previews to actually come out for us to see. Word of mouth isn't always the best thing to go by.

From their recent press release, they're planning on making all-electric D series buses, along with J3500s. I don't see the D series going away anytime soon, especially with NJ Transit having this huge order with them.

Well I haven't been wild about anything from them from 2008 on.  The newer buses are ugly and look cheaply made, and may I add louder too, along with those annoying automated announcements.

....they're made from the same stuff that the old Ds are made from, just a change in cosmetics is all. I can't see how they are louder when they have much quieter engines now.

...they're made from the same stuff that the old Ds are made from, just a change in cosmetics is all. I can't see how they are louder when they have much quieter engines now.

Those automated announcements are loud.  That alone makes the bus feel louder, even if the engine is supposedly quieter.  I don't notice any difference between those and the older MCIs in terms of them being quieter.

Those automated announcements are loud.  That alone makes the bus feel louder, even if the engine is supposedly quieter.  I don't notice any difference between those and the older MCIs in terms of them being quieter.

Those announcements are loud in general for no reason. The 2008s, engine wise, are loud, but the 2012-2013s are relatively quiet.

As for this MCI preview that's being spoken about, that's a J4500 low floor prototype. I'm pretty sure this won't be replacing the D-Series outright, because J-Series buses are also commuter coaches as well, but NOT for transit usage(see this or this)

Photo from The Bus Lounge on Facebook.

16999204_10206965300406048_2544486664289

17098690_10206965300646054_4429651374499

17022503_10206965300846059_8076990132767

These will most likely not replace the D-Series altogether(I very much doubt it will), but would actually join the J4500 high floor. It'd be a horrible move for MCI altogether, especially since MCI has the transit market in its clutches. And from a marketing standpoint, it could ruin them(MCI) completely. Prevost hardly has any transit customers outside of NYMTA, Montreal & Westcat LYNX, and the transit variant of the x3-45 isn't gaining steam with anyone really.

Low floor? The windows would be over everyone's heads! (they look like the same height as the high floors!)

Yup, that's actually a low floor.

The door in the middle is a plug-style door that splits open, with access to a wheelchair ramp.

The windows would be over everyone's heads! (they look like the same height as the high floors!)

Holy claustrophobia, Batman!

I'm guessing that only transit operators would touch a low floor MCI. An intercity operator would have to be nuts to consider that kind of bus; where the hell are you going to put all the luggage?

At least Van Hool does it right by having a double decker with a low floor design, with a standard bus load on the upper deck and a condensed seating space with a luggage bin on the lower deck.

Holy claustrophobia, Batman!

I'm guessing that only transit operators would touch a low floor MCI. An intercity operator would have to be nuts to consider that kind of bus; where the hell are you going to put all the luggage?

At least Van Hool does it right by having a double decker with a low floor design, with a standard bus load on the upper deck and a condensed seating space with a luggage bin on the lower deck.

That bus is downright hideous,  but if the boarding process is faster for wheelchairs, that would be great. There were two express buses earlier held up because the first one had a person who used a walker. Took about 10 minutes to get him on the bus. I said to myself this is why I'm taking Metro-North into the city. I reached Midtown a good 20-30 minutes before either bus got to  34th street.

• 2 months later...

It was made official at this month's meeting. Pages 126-130.

While I'm neutral on the restoration (as long as they keep the X17 weekend stop in Brooklyn, I'm good), I don't like the way they don't show any statistics on the weekend ridership (they talk about an increase in weekday ridership, but they don't talk about how weekend ridership has been during the pilot program).

When people talk about the span they would like, and the MTA says there's guidelines for the span, I don't see those guidelines published (I do know they were published at one point for the frequency).

Also, what's up with people suggesting extra trips at these weirdly specific times (4:39am on the X28 and 4:48am on the X27)?

Also, what's up with people suggesting extra trips at these weirdly specific times (4:39am on the X28 and 4:48am on the X27)?

LOL! I sure hope the one guy that requested that time would actually use it every day. Or else that's a pretty good troll

Where is the info talking about this anyway?  Would be nice to actually post the link when referring to such things so that people don't have to go searching around on the (MTA) website.  <_<

Here's the link:http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/170522_1030_Transit.pdf

(For future reference, mouse over Transparency on the top right corner of the home page, then click Board Meetings, then This Year)

LOL! I sure hope the one guy that requested that time would actually use it every day. Or else that's a pretty good troll

LMAO!

FWIW, I skimmed through the hearing they referred to, but didn't actually find any comments about the X28 (I was hoping to hear that guy who requested those specific earlier buses lol). 

Where is the info talking about this anyway?  Would be nice to actually post the link when referring to such things so that people don't have to go searching around on the (MTA) website.  <_<

Well you of all people should know where to find the monthly meeting minutes considering how long you've been on these forums. In any case, for some reason the computer wasn't letting me post URLs (or quotes for that matter) so whatever....you lived didn't you?

LMAO!

FWIW, I skimmed through the hearing they referred to, but didn't actually find any comments about the X28 (I was hoping to hear that guy who requested those specific earlier buses lol). 

Well you of all people should know where to find the monthly meeting minutes considering how long you've been on these forums. In any case, for some reason the computer wasn't letting me post URLs (or quotes for that matter) so whatever....you lived didn't you?

That's not the point. If you're going to reference something post the link so that people who are interested in it can see it. We have guests here that may not post but are interested in knowing what is going on.

Thanks to AroundtheHorn for posting it.

Archived