How Uber/Lyft creates gridlock in NYC

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/06/nyregion/uber-ride-hailing-new-york-transportation.html

When Uber arrived in New York City in 2011, subway ridership was soaring and the medallions required to drive a yellow cab were selling for a sky-high $1 million.

But Uber had an enticing offer: Your ride could appear at the touch of a button.

Six years later, Uber and other ride-hailing apps are booming, an army of nearly 50,000 licensed vehicles that ferry hundreds of thousands of people across the city every day.

Ride-hailing apps, like Uber and Lyft, are rapidly transforming transportation in New York, emerging as an existential threat to the taxi industry and siphoning passengers away from subways and buses, while raising concerns over worsening street congestion. They are also expanding quickly across the country, altering the travel landscape in places with poor public transit.

My girlfriend swears by them.  She hates using the subway and will jump in a taxi in a heartbeat, so she represents a lot of the people that I see jumping in cabs at bus stops.  Some of them just lack patience.  I see people wait for a bus less than a few minutes and then immediately will hail a cab.  She mentioned some sort of cab sharing set up that is dirt cheap, and she's been using that as well.  I've heard of others that use these car sharing services instead of using the subway because it's actually cheaper, likely due to gas being so cheap.

The ride shows up, and takes u to other boroughs / NJ, etc, no worrying about changing transit agencies, etc. Also with all the track work on the weekend the uber/lyft rides are much quicker. Also, with the way the subway system is designed, rides between Brooklyn and Queens is much quicker via car. Also NYCT Buses are slow as hell. There is really no surprise.

AND, if you notice any particular vehicles driving SLOW and blocking the roads and it's flow of traffic, they have TLC plates.

The Bus Ridership is going to decrease regardless due to MTA inaction (other than reduce service because it's not at "capacity"). Rideshare/luff only accelerate this downward trend. The buses are simply way too slow. I will walk 15 min to the subway and still beat the bus to the subway station. Decrease on subway, is also expected, after tremoundous growth, the subway ridership is simply leveling off. (MTA) is at a really bad position, rush hour is at or over capacity, and weekend is no longer "empty" too. There has to be work done, and the traditional do iron the weekend mentality will no longer work, as more and more people utilize the system during the weekend. But there is simply no way to do the work without inconvience somebody, and there are only so many hours.

Archived