A Fare Discussion

BrooklynBus

I would say no.  What some do however is drive to the SIR and take that to the ferry.  I used to work with several Staten Islanders.  It really depends on the individual and how much money they make.  One guy lived in Great Kills and took the X7 into the office.  Another lady lived Prince's Bay.  She drove to the SIR and took the ferry to the subway.  Two principals drove into work (one from the Annadale area) and another from the North Shore.  I took the express bus in.  Another guy who also lived in Prince's Bay drove in.  These folks all earned different salaries, and that made a big difference too in addition to what time you needed to be certain places.  The lady in marketing had a fixed schedule.  The people that drove in were senior project managers and/or part owners (principals) that had to be on-site rather early, not to mention that two of them made over six figures easily, so paying for parking wasn't a big deal for them.  On occasion I think the lady would get a ride in from one of them since they lived on Staten Island, but that wasn't too often.  I at the time was making good money, but even then I wouldn't think of putting up with driving.  I didn't have to be in as early either. Even though I did work long hours, I only went on-site occasionally, and generally had a more fixed schedule.

The new Arthur Kill station has a large dedicated parking lot, so it appears the (MTA) is encouraging people to drive to the SIR and take it to the ferry.

The new Arthur Kill station has a large dedicated parking lot, so it appears the (MTA) is encouraging people to drive to the SIR and take it to the ferry.

Not really encouraging. Driving to the SIR has been going on for years. People also drive to the express buses there. Something I would be doing had I stayed there... The bigger parking lot is just addressing a need.

Do people in SI park by Hylan Blvd and take the S79 over to Brooklyn to save on Tolls?

I ask because sometimes when I go uptown I park in Astoria and take the M60 across the bridge to save on tolls, avoid traffic and having to find parking. (I have an unlimited card so the bus ride already covered)

Well, I'll make a couple of points (I can't say for sure, but I'll throw out everything I know and let you draw your own conclusions). 

* My dad used to park around the VZN Bridge and have his choice of the S53/79/93, but that was only when he needed to get to Bay Ridge. If he needed to get to say, Bensonhurst, he would just drive there as opposed to taking one of those buses to the B1.

* As was mentioned, SI residents get a discount, which plays into it (if he had to pay the full $16, he might've thought twice about it. But paying $6.24 instead of $2.75 * 2 = $5.50....granted he would save on gas and parking but he didn't think it was really worth it)

* I can't think of a stop on the S79 like for example, Lamberts Lane on the X17 in my neighborhood (or the Arthur Kill Road/Veterans Road East stop on the South Shore), where you'll see a bunch of people get off and walk right to their cars (combined with a lot of people getting picked up by relatives/friends). Fingerboard Road and Hylan/Narrows are a little busier than what you would expect for the neighborhood, but I don't get the sense that there's tons and tons of people driving there to take the S79/93 across.

* But at the same time, I remember last night I got off the X17 with a woman and a few other people, and the woman walked with me for a couple of blocks before getting into her car (in other words, she didn't park within the immediate vicinity of the bus stop). Come to think about it, my home stop is a little bit busier than what you would expect for people coming from the immediate area, so I guess it counts as one of those unofficial park-and-ride stops. So yes, I suppose it's possible that some people park 2-3 blocks from the S79 if they can't get a spot in the immediate area, but when they get off it looks like they're walking straight home. 

* The S79 does have the ETC and a small park-and-ride near the SI Mall, so I do assume some people park there for the S79 (I know the ETC is definitely a big stop, well, in both directions, but Brooklyn-bound ridership is a bit higher than what I would expect based off local residents and people transferring from the S55/56/74). I know personally, I would definitely do that if I lived on the South Shore and needed to get to Brooklyn (since the S79 has bus lanes that let you bypass a lot of Hylan Blvd traffic). 

Not really encouraging. Driving to the SIR has been going on for years. People also drive to the express buses there. Something I would be doing had I stayed there... The bigger parking lot is just addressing a need.

The Arthur Kill station has no express bus serving it. 

Yeah well you don't pay a toll to get in and out of Manhattan Beach. Staten Islanders have to pay a toll every time they want to leave Staten Island. No one else has to put up with such a thing in the entire city. Granted they only pay when returning to Staten Island, but it's still ridiculous. Case in point, years ago, I was invited to a Brazilian restaurant by a friend (colleague at the time) I had been working with on a long-term project. After the dinner, he and his girlfriend offered to drive me from the restaurant in Midtown to Staten Island. They knew about the toll to get into Brooklyn, but had no idea that it was $10.00 (at that time, it is now $20.00) cash to get on to Staten Island. I was so embarrassed that I gave them the $10.00 because when I thought about the money they spent in gas, plus the tolls, it was just absurd. They were spending a small fortune just to do me the favor of getting me home, so for the person taking that occasional trip that lives on Staten Island, they should not be punished with such exorbitant tolls.

It's $16, not $20 and its round trip and no more expensive than other MTA major bridge and tunnel crossings.

And your comment is irrelevant to my list.

The cash toll is $16, and the only reason that's the case is because it's a round-trip toll. The cash toll for the Queens-Midtown Tunnel, Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel, etc are $8, but they apply one-way.

And for the person that lives there, they get a resident discount, which is $6.24 - $6.60 (again, round-trip), and if I understand it correctly, you can get a small rebate as well to bring the cost to $5.50. (My family has the resident discount, but I'm not sure if we've used the rebate)

And don't forget people in the Rockaways pay a toll when they don't even leave their own borough. The VZ is a major bridge and with all the discounts residents only pay $2.25 each way on the VZ which is what EZ pass costs for the two Rockaway bridges. Without EZ pass, those tolls are $4.25 each way or $9 round trip. So Staten Islanders don't have it as bad as you claim toll wise. There is enough unfairness to go around. Besides unless you were born there, you knew the deal when you bought your house there for much less than it would have cost in another borough.

The Arthur Kill station has no express bus serving it. 

I don't know what you're talking about.  I said people drive to the express bus there (meaning on Staten Island). 

It's $16, not $20 and its round trip and no more expensive than other MTA major bridge and tunnel crossings.

$16.00 or $20.00, you don't have to pay to leave Brooklyn or Manhattan Beach like Staten Island residents do.  You can avoid paying tolls if you want to.  A round trip for a Staten Islander, they have no such option. I find it funny that you're the first one to complain about fairness when it comes to drivers.

* The S79 does have the ETC and a small park-and-ride near the SI Mall, so I do assume some people park there for the S79 (I know the ETC is definitely a big stop, well, in both directions, but Brooklyn-bound ridership is a bit higher than what I would expect based off local residents and people transferring from the S55/56/74). I know personally, I would definitely do that if I lived on the South Shore and needed to get to Brooklyn (since the S79 has bus lanes that let you bypass a lot of Hylan Blvd traffic). 

The ride fro SI Mall seems pretty long to use as a Park and Ride,  does the S79 move quickly? (Even with bus lanes, NYC buses are SLOW and get caught at too many signals)

The ride fro SI Mall seems pretty long to use as a Park and Ride,  does the S79 move quickly? (Even with bus lanes, NYC buses are SLOW and get caught at too many signals)

People do drive the local buses or at least get dropped off for them, but there are far more people that will drive to the express bus, the SIR and the Ferry.  Local buses have a stigma on Staten Island, and the express buses are seen as safer. I witnessed this first hand over the years.  Plenty of people would wait to be picked up rather than take the local bus on Staten Island.  Having traveled quite a bit on Long Island, they have a similar attitude.  The only people that really ride the buses out there are those who are poor and can't afford a car, or people who don't have their license yet.  All of the times that I've been on Long Island, I have NEVER used NICE and never will.  I am either picked up from the LIRR by whomever I'm going to visit, or I call a car service.

Don't forget once the New York Wheel opens, SIR has to reopen Ballpark in order to serve commuters from the ferry.

Considering it's about a 5 minute walk from the St. George station, no it doesn't.

And don't forget people in the Rockaways pay a toll when they don't even leave their own borough. The VZ is a major bridge and with all the discounts residents only pay $2.25 each way on the VZ which is what EZ pass costs for the two Rockaway bridges. Without EZ pass, those tolls are $4.25 each way or $9 round trip. So Staten Islanders don't have it as bad as you claim toll wise. There is enough unfairness to go around. Besides unless you were born there, you knew the deal when you bought your house there for much less than it would have cost in another borough.

$5.50/2 = $2.75, not $2.25, and the Rockaway bridges cost $1.41 for residents with EZ Pass (that's the toll effective Sunday. I didn't check what the current toll is but I assume it's something less, maybe $1.36 since 1.41/1.04 = 1.355).

And without EZ Pass, the toll is $16, not $9. Not sure if you're looking at the non-resident EZ-Pass rate from a few years ago or what.

But yes, I do agree that it's not unfair to Staten Island residents.

I don't know what you're talking about.  I said people drive to the express bus there (meaning on Staten Island). 

Right, but people driving to the express bus has nothing to do with the Arthur Kill SIR station. 

Yes, it runs almost as quickly as your beloved NICE buses on Hillside Avenue.  ;)

No, but seriously, the S79 is a very quick bus. With the bus lanes (as long as you don't have idiots blocking them up and trying to merge into the regular lane when the bus comes), the buses are a lot quicker than the regular cars. And since it's SBS, the B/Os don't have to worry about running a few minutes early, so a lot of them floor it. Regular traffic along streets like 92nd, and the parts of Hylan that don't have bus lanes slow it down a bit, but all in all it's still pretty quick.

Also, FWIW, ridership increased from around 8,900 before SBS to 11,000+ in 2015. So I'm assuming some of those 2,000+ riders were attracted by the increased speed compared to the local.

People do drive the local buses or at least get dropped off for them, but there are far more people that will drive to the express bus, the SIR and the Ferry.  Local buses have a stigma on Staten Island, and the express buses are seen as safer. I witnessed this first hand over the years.  Plenty of people would wait to be picked up rather than take the local bus on Staten Island.  Having traveled quite a bit on Long Island, they have a similar attitude.  The only people that really ride the buses out there are those who are poor and can't afford a car, or people who don't have their license yet.  All of the times that I've been on Long Island, I have NEVER used NICE and never will.  I am either picked up from the LIRR by whomever I'm going to visit, or I call a car service.

Alright, but his question was strictly asking if there was a sizable number of people who drive to the S79. He wasn't asking about how it compares to the number driving to the express bus/SIR/ferry. That's like asking if you have more people driving to NICE routes compared to LIRR stations, it's so obvious it doesn't warrant mentioning.

Now from a more practical point of view (i.e. Instead of bringing up subjective issues like safety or snobbery), it's generally quicker/more convenient to drive to the express bus, compared to taking a local bus to reach the express bus. I know people in Mariners Harbor who drive to the X17 stop as opposed to taking the S48 to the X10. You get a direct ride to the first stop, as opposed to making local stops throughout the whole island, and then you have the X10 as a backup (whereas the X17 doesn't connect to the S48). If you live in parts of Westerleigh, what local bus are you supposed to reasonably take to reach the X10? The S54/57/66 run every 30 minutes, and out of the three, the S57 is the only one that even runs on the weekends.

And the SIR....well if you don't live within walking distance of the SIR you're pretty much forced to drive because the local buses that connect to it run very infrequently if they even run at all. The S54/55/56 have no weekend service, so even if you wanted to take those routes to reach the SIR, you couldn't (and you can't even use the S55/56 after about 7PM because they don't run). However, where the local service is good, you do see people willing to use it. A decent amount of people take the SIR to Eltingville, then jump on the S59/79/89 to either go directly home, or go to the ETC to pick up their cars.

Alright, but his question was strictly asking if there was a sizable number of people who drive to the S79. He wasn't asking about how it compares to the number driving to the express bus/SIR/ferry. That's like asking if you have more people driving to NICE routes compared to LIRR stations, it's so obvious it doesn't warrant mentioning.

Now from a more practical point of view (i.e. Instead of bringing up subjective issues like safety or snobbery), it's generally quicker/more convenient to drive to the express bus, compared to taking a local bus to reach the express bus. I know people in Mariners Harbor who drive to the X17 stop as opposed to taking the S48 to the X10. You get a direct ride to the first stop, as opposed to making local stops throughout the whole island, and then you have the X10 as a backup (whereas the X17 doesn't connect to the S48). If you live in parts of Westerleigh, what local bus are you supposed to reasonably take to reach the X10? The S54/57/66 run every 30 minutes, and out of the three, the S57 is the only one that even runs on the weekends.

And the SIR....well if you don't live within walking distance of the SIR you're pretty much forced to drive because the local buses that connect to it run very infrequently if they even run at all. The S54/55/56 have no weekend service, so even if you wanted to take those routes to reach the SIR, you couldn't (and you can't even use the S55/56 after about 7PM because they don't run). However, where the local service is good, you do see people willing to use it. A decent amount of people take the SIR to Eltingville, then jump on the S59/79/89 to either go directly home, or go to the ETC to pick up their cars.

Actually it wasn't.  His question is below:

Do people in SI park by Hylan Blvd and take the S79 over to Brooklyn to save on Tolls?

I ask because sometimes when I go uptown I park in Astoria and take the M60 across the bridge to save on tolls, avoid traffic and having to find parking. (I have an unlimited card so the bus ride already covered)

He used the S79 as an example of how one could save on tolls.  I just mentioned what Staten Islanders generally do and some of it isn't because of the tolls, but rather for reasons I mentioned, so in terms of answering the question, I did so rather comprehensively.  Whether you like it or not is your problem.  Some drive to the SIR or the express bus as well because of parking situations (which he mentioned he does), etc. 

I don't know what you're talking about. I said people drive to the express bus there (meaning on Staten Island).

$16.00 or $20.00, you don't have to pay to leave Brooklyn or Manhattan Beach like Staten Island residents do. You can avoid paying tolls if you want to. A round trip for a Staten Islander, they have no such option. I find it funny that you're the first one to complain about fairness when it comes to drivers.

Well starting this weekend it will be $17 which is round trip. I am also against the round trip toll. Cong. Donovan is trying to make it one way again which makes more sense. You keep trying to make it appear as a one way toll which it isn't.

You really can't compare tiny Manhattan Beach to huge Staten Island which is shrunken on all the maps. You act as if every Staten a Islander mus leave Staten Island everyday which is nonsense. You act as if no one works in Staten Island.

As far as complaining about fairness when it comes to drivers, it seems to me that you are the one doing most of the complaining. I am for fairness for everyone, whether it's drivers or transit users. Did you forget what started this thread?

To Checkmate:

I think you are confused about the toll rates. The tolls on the Cross Bay and Marine Pkway Bridges are not the same as the major crossings. It certainly is not $16, going up to $17 round trip. It is 9 which I think is going up to $10 without EZ Pass, round trip or $4.50 each way and much cheaper with EZ Pass and even cheaper for Rockaway residents.

...But yes, I do agree that it's not unfair to Staten Island residents...

It is unfair to SIers as well as people who live in the Rockaways.

Folks in the Rockaways have to go to Nassau County to drive into the rest of the City to avoid paying a toll. SIers have no such option.

Brooklyn and Queens have choices by car: Triboro Bridge, Battery Tunnel or QMT with toll or one of the East River bridges to get to Manhattan or the Bronx. When cars stopped being allowed on the Ferry, SIers lost that choice.

I'm of the mindset - probably because of my West Coast libertarian views that one shouldn't have to pay to go to another part of one's city by car. Even in SFO, the option to avoid tolls between the East Bay and SF and the Central Valley is there, but takes longer (ie driving to/thru San Jose to SF or thru Stockton to Sacramento), but no one pays to go from one end of Oakland to another. Even in Sacramento, with all the bridges we have on highways and streets, tolls aren't charged.

So I think the EZ Pass discounts are fair since there isn't an alternative, but it's still wrong given SIers and Rockaway residents pay the same taxes the rest of city-dwellers do.

Well starting this weekend it will be $17 which is round trip. I am also against the round trip toll. Cong. Donovan is trying to make it one way again which makes more sense. You keep trying to make it appear as a one way toll which it isn't.

You really can't compare tiny Manhattan Beach to huge Staten Island which is shrunken on all the maps. You act as if every Staten a Islander mus leave Staten Island everyday which is nonsense. You act as if no one works in Staten Island.

As far as complaining about fairness when it comes to drivers, it seems to me that you are the one doing most of the complaining. I am for fairness for everyone, whether it's drivers or transit users. Did you forget what started this thread?

Just because you claim you're for fairness, doesn't make it true.

I think you are confused about the toll rates. The tolls on the Cross Bay and Marine Pkway Bridges are not the same as the major crossings. It certainly is not $16, going up to $17 round trip. It is 9 which I think is going up to $10 without EZ Pass, round trip or $4.50 each way and much cheaper with EZ Pass and even cheaper for Rockaway residents.

I said "the Rockaway bridges cost $1.41 for residents with EZ Pass". That's taken directly from the MTA's toll page.

The maximum toll is $4.25 if you pay cash. That's nowhere near $9-$10.

It is unfair to SIers as well as people who live in the Rockaways.

Folks in the Rockaways have to go to Nassau County to drive into the rest of the City to avoid paying a toll. SIers have no such option.

Brooklyn and Queens have choices by car: Triboro Bridge, Battery Tunnel or QMT with toll or one of the East River bridges to get to Manhattan or the Bronx. When cars stopped being allowed on the Ferry, SIers lost that choice.

I'm of the mindset - probably because of my West Coast libertarian views that one shouldn't have to pay to go to another part of one's city by car. Even in SFO, the option to avoid tolls between the East Bay and SF and the Central Valley is there, but takes longer (ie driving to/thru San Jose to SF or thru Stockton to Sacramento), but no one pays to go from one end of Oakland to another. Even in Sacramento, with all the bridges we have on highways and streets, tolls aren't charged.

So I think the EZ Pass discounts are fair since there isn't an alternative, but it's still wrong given SIers and Rockaway residents pay the same taxes the rest of city-dwellers do.

The ferry charged an extra fee for cars ($3 at the time IIRC. It would probably be something like $6 or $7 nowadays), so it wasn't a free way to get your car to another part of the city.

Actually it wasn't.  His question is below:

He used the S79 as an example of how one could save on tolls.  I just mentioned what Staten Islanders generally do and some of it isn't because of the tolls, but rather for reasons I mentioned, so in terms of answering the question, I did so rather comprehensively.  Whether you like it or not is your problem.  Some drive to the SIR or the express bus as well because of parking situations (which he mentioned he does), etc. 

Right, he said "I ask because sometimes when I go uptown I park in Astoria and take the M60 across the bridge to save on tolls, avoid traffic and having to find parking."

In other words, he's making a trip that doesn't involve passing through the CBD (where traffic and parking are much larger obstacles compared to an outer borough or Upper Manhattan destinations). Obviously, it goes without saying that there's SI residents who drive to the express bus, SIR, or ferry if their destination is Midtown or Downtown Manhattan because it's stupid to sit in rush hour traffic and then pay $30 a day or whatever these garages charge when you could bypass the traffic using transit and save money to boot. Once again, that's like asking if there's LI residents who drive to the LIRR.

Considering it's about a 5 minute walk from the St. George station, no it doesn't.

Yes actually it quite does. I GURATNTEE you that people will find out there's a station that can serve the wheel and force the MTA to reopen it. You said it your self, no body in NY walks for more then 5 minutes. They'd rather take the train.

Yes actually it quite does. I GURATNTEE you that people will find out there's a station that can serve the wheel and force the MTA to reopen it. You said it your self, no body in NY walks for more then 5 minutes. They'd rather take the train.

When did I say that? If anything, bus ridership decreasing is evidence that people will walk if transit can't get there in time (granted some of the ridership loss is due to Uber, Citibike, etc, but I'm sure some of it is people getting fed up with waiting for the bus)

It depends on the locations, there are many riders in western Nassau on the Queens-Nassau Routes that have cars. Many times it doesn't make sense to take the LIRR to Manhattan only to have to use the subway once you get there to get to your destination if you can just take NICE Bus and get a free transfer to the subway. 

Right, he said "I ask because sometimes when I go uptown I park in Astoria and take the M60 across the bridge to save on tolls, avoid traffic and having to find parking."

In other words, he's making a trip that doesn't involve passing through the CBD (where traffic and parking are much larger obstacles compared to an outer borough or Upper Manhattan destinations). Obviously, it goes without saying that there's SI residents who drive to the express bus, SIR, or ferry if their destination is Midtown or Downtown Manhattan because it's stupid to sit in rush hour traffic and then pay $30 a day or whatever these garages charge when you could bypass the traffic using transit and save money to boot. Once again, that's like asking if there's LI residents who drive to the LIRR.

Right, If I want to make the trip Uptown quicker, I'll drive to Astoria and take the M60 (as opposed to taking a bus to Jamaica then the IND to Midtown then transferring to go Uptown.) Even in Upper Manhattan, parking and traffic sucks. If I do decide to drive across the RFK then that's an $11 round trip toll, then traffic, then finding parking which may or may not be free.

So my question was mostly based on the S79(and S53) and trips across to Brooklyn since there was a focus on tolls in the discussion. 

It depends on the locations, there are many riders in western Nassau on the Queens-Nassau Routes that have cars. Many times it doesn't make sense to take the LIRR to Manhattan only to have to use the subway once you get there to get to your destination if you can just take NICE Bus and get a free transfer to the subway.

Right, If I want to make the trip Uptown quicker, I'll drive to Astoria and take the M60 (as opposed to taking a bus to Jamaica then the IND to Midtown then transferring to go Uptown.) Even in Upper Manhattan, parking and traffic sucks. If I do decide to drive across the RFK then that's an $11 round trip toll, then traffic, then finding parking which may or may not be free.

So my question was mostly based on the S79(and S53) and trips across to Brooklyn since there was a focus on tolls in the discussion.

I must say I find the concept of driving to a local bus very odd, which is why I have a hard time seeing anyone do it elsewhere, and why I responded the way that I did. I mean so you save money on tolls, but how much time are actually saving when you have to find parking and still burn gas? I'm either using public transportation all the way or not at all. That's the problem when you live in the suburbs I guess. Something I still don't get is people who drive all the way down to the city line to use the subway. lol So you live in the sububrbs but want city amenities like the subway? It's an oxymoron to say the least. All of the other services are commuter options as opposed to the local bus. It's the slowest way... If you commuted via the LIRR what would your commute look like from a cost and time standpoint versus what you do now? What are your costs and time spent?

Well, you wouldn't see too many people taking the S53/93 to Brooklyn to avoid the toll (except in the areas near the VZN Bridge where they're using it as a backup option to the S79). The S53 is too circuitous, and the S93 is too infrequent outside of rush hours. (They do however, have bike racks whereas the S79 doesn't, so I guess they get that handful of bike riders who want to get across the bridge lol).

But yeah, I see what you're saying. So the answer I guess is....some do but probably not as many as you would think. I know with the SI Bus Study (where the report is already ridiculously late) they're looking into how many people drive to the express buses, but maybe they'll look into how many people drive to the S53/79/93 as well.

This link to some info about the Hackathon last year says around 36% of express bus riders either drove or were dropped off at the stop. (The MTA reps said the numbers were higher on the South Shore).

I guess while we're on that topic, I'd be curious to see how many people park on either side of the Whitestone Bridge and take the Q44/50 across (Flushing and Jamaica have similar issues with congestion and parking). On the Queens side, it looks like there's a decent amount of parking in the residential neighborhood around the stops, but on the Bronx side, not sure how many people would risk a ticket in that shopping center.

To Checkmate:

I think you misunderstood what I said. When I said $9 to $10 (without EZ Pass for the Cross Bay or Marine Park Bridges, I was talking about round trips since we were comparing it to the round trip toll on the VZ.

You said it was $4.25 one way, but it is going up tomorrow. I believe the new toll will be $4.50 or $9 round trip like I said as compared to $17 for the major bridges round trip.

You're vastly over exaggerating the distance between the ferry and the ballpark station...

If you take the bus, it's literally 2 stops. After the terminal, you have the 1st stop on Richmond Terrace (I think it's still temporarily closed), then it's the ballpark. The walk is not far at all, that little "plaza" (or lack of better term for that area) extends pretty much halfway there.

It's actually faster to walk from the terminal to the wheel compared to running the train from the terminal to the ballpark station since it's a slow ride all the way there.

...I guess while we're on that topic, I'd be curious to see how many people park on either side of the Whitestone Bridge and take the Q44/50 across (Flushing and Jamaica have similar issues with congestion and parking). On the Queens side, it looks like there's a decent amount of parking in the residential neighborhood around the stops, but on the Bronx side, not sure how many people would risk a ticket in that shopping center.

The only park & riding I know of around the general area of the Queens side of the Whitestone bridge is for the express bus (QM2) up around 14th.... Bronx side of the bridge, haven't seen any evidence of park & riding....

I must say I find the concept of driving to a local bus very odd, which is why I have a hard time seeing anyone do it elsewhere....

Albeit having to do nothing with tolls, I've only seen this along Cross Bay/Woodhaven; people getting dropped off for the LTD's (as well as for the express buses) & what not..... It's not as common as for the expresses, but it is going on.... The question I have is, will this practice continue once SBS is put in place out there....

To Checkmate:

I think you misunderstood what I said. When I said $9 to $10 (without EZ Pass for the Cross Bay or Marine Park Bridges, I was talking about round trips since we were comparing it to the round trip toll on the VZ.

You said it was $4.25 one way, but it is going up tomorrow. I believe the new toll will be $4.50 or $9 round trip like I said as compared to $17 for the major bridges round trip.

Reading that last statement there, it prompted me to check the website (regarding whatever impending increases):

http://web.mta.info/bandt/traffic/btmain.html#cars

...because I knew the toll is a smooth 4 bucks to cross the Marine Park.... It had went up from 3.75 to 4 bucks about 2 years ago....

Was trying to figure out where this 4.25 & 4.50 talk was coming from.....

Archived