MTA Bus Co. Part-Time Bus Operator Exams/Hiring Process

+Young+
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_busco.png.6314ead1a019792535129d932c59b563.png

Part-Time Bus Operator, Exam No. 7304 & 9303

Pay: At the time of this exam the minimum salary for Bus Operator was $22.847213 per hour.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (500s) - For Medical: (N/A)

Next Training Class:

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: If you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

(Updated December 14, 2021)

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just received a letter to start pre -employment process  on April 4th. My problem is I have a pending ticket which probably won't be over for a few months. Any suggestions on what I should do? I'm almost certain MTA does not allow any open tickets. How long will this list last? Does anyone know? Can I take my name off the list then reinstate once the ticket is settle? If so how do I do that? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated..

1 hour ago, MTA MAC said:

Just received a letter to start pre -employment process  on April 4th. My problem is I have a pending ticket which probably won't be over for a few months. Any suggestions on what I should do? I'm almost certain MTA does not allow any open tickets. How long will this list last? Does anyone know? Can I take my name off the list then reinstate once the ticket is settle? If so how do I do that? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated..

I think once you go to pre-employment and they pull your driving abstract, they will instruct you on what to do in your situation. From what i understand they don't allow pending tickets, but they will reinstate you once it clears. I think it's four years after the list is established?  I'm not sure when #7304 was actually established. Sometime last year, maybe? What list number are you by the way?

1 hour ago, msmcmillan said:

I think once you go to pre-employment and they pull your driving abstract, they will instruct you on what to do in your situation. From what i understand they don't allow pending tickets, but they will reinstate you once it clears. I think it's four years after the list is established?  I'm not sure when #7304 was actually established. Sometime last year, maybe? What list number are you by the way?

Thanks for the info.. I plan on just declining for now and reinstating later.. List #10xx

6 hours ago, Sb1914 said:

Is taking the offer for this position pointless? Especially living in Staten island? Every person I asked says it's not worth it for a part time position and no benefits. 

I won't say that it's entirely pointless but the commute is going to make it not worth it or very irritating for a part time position.

Pros:
-Go through training and not have to be retrained if you xfer to the OA or TA position in the future.
-Gain some experience operating a bus and under MTA rules.
-Get access to a 401k/457 account, if you don't already have one.

Cons:
-You will only be working out of the Spring Creek depot.
-I'm not sure how the runs for part timers are set up but I've seen some 4 hour shifts posted in there.
-This is not a civil service position so no city pension.
-The commute. We both know how bad the bridge can get. That's going to eat up a lot of time. Say you drive in/out, the Belt is not a great option at 8 AM. It'll put you off at Spring Creek but that's bout it.
-So you drive, that's gas and tolls.
-So you take the bus... It's a lot of transferring just to going in the direction of SC.

9 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

I won't say that it's entirely pointless but the commute is going to make it not worth it or very irritating for a part time position.

Pros:
-Go through training and not have to be retrained if you xfer to the OA or TA position in the future.
-Gain some experience operating a bus and under MTA rules.
-Get access to a 401k/457 account, if you don't already have one.

Cons:
-You will only be working out of the Spring Creek depot.
-I'm not sure how the runs for part timers are set up but I've seen some 4 hour shifts posted in there.
-This is not a civil service position so no city pension.
-The commute. We both know how bad the bridge can get. That's going to eat up a lot of time. Say you drive in/out, the Belt is not a great option at 8 AM. It'll put you off at Spring Creek but that's bout it.
-So you drive, that's gas and tolls.
-So you take the bus... It's a lot of transferring just to going in the direction of SC.

Yeah I was thinking about all of that, and it makes me feel it's not worth it. Granted it pays 19.96, but after taxes and the toll and gas I'm actually going to make less. And then I was thinking, that on the FT bus my list number is 27** and the OA I believe I'm 10**, so maybe it's best I decline and just wait right?

2 hours ago, Sb1914 said:

Yeah I was thinking about all of that, and it makes me feel it's not worth it. Granted it pays 19.96, but after taxes and the toll and gas I'm actually going to make less. And then I was thinking, that on the FT bus my list number is 27** and the OA I believe I'm 10**, so maybe it's best I decline and just wait right?

I know it doesn't sound like it's worth it financially, but I think you should get the training over with now and switch over to full time...

3 hours ago, msmcmillan said:

And, I hate to sound negative, but what if you decline this offer and full time doesn't come thru...damn

This is another thing to consider as well. Let's say that you start the 10 day training for this and you don't qualify, the 5 year wait period that they give you will prevent you from taking the OA or full time MTA position.

2 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

This is another thing to consider as well. Let's say that you start the 10 day training for this and you don't qualify, the 5 year wait period that they give you will prevent you from taking the OA or full time MTA position.

So I shouldn't even bother then right?

47 minutes ago, Sb1914 said:

So I shouldn't even bother then right?

Only you can determine whether it's beneficial or not.. Maybe you can consider declining the position for now and keep your option open, you can maybe reinstate at another time. As for me, I have no choice but to decline for the moment. 

1 hour ago, MTA MAC said:

Only you can determine whether it's beneficial or not.. Maybe you can consider declining the position for now and keep your option open, you can maybe reinstate at another time. As for me, I have no choice but to decline for the moment. 

Oh I didn't even know that I can basically put it on hold. I just don't want to lose the opportunity, because someone told me that they move some part timers to fulltime. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys.  A lil off topic but not much.. Mods  Please move if needed.. I just got my pre employment notice on Friday.  I studied for my cdl sat and Sunday and went to take the exam yesterday.. Got passenger endorsement yesterday.  Then today got general knowledge and airbreaks.  But  I got general at one site then airbreaks at another. During the paying process the dmv worker said there was an PC error and my airbreaks didn't come through after I past the exam. I past and it sent me to the pay line but she said that all the computers these weren't functioning properly and to come back tomorrow to get my permit without restrictions. Because the permit she first gave me before I brought the error to her attention not even 2 minutes prior has the "L" (air breaks)  restriction. Now I have to be at Mta tomorrow at 730 am for pre employment. I have a little slip from the dmv that shows I took airbreaks and that the computer failed with a dmv stamp on it.  Do you guys think I will be able to get in,  or at least get a chance tomorrow in between the process to go to dmv so that they can fix my permit? 

Edited by Eturnulrs704

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, so I just got my pre-ployment letters for 7304 to come to Livingston St on the 3rd at 7:30am

Was wondering if it's even worth going forward with this. Because my current situation I'm in at my current job, im getting $24.76/h FT with benefits driving a bus similar to MTA bus.
I feel like going forward with this PT position is taking a step back. I did apply and pass the boss for 7300 and also passed 7612. Haven't heard from 7105 but I'm sure I passed that too. Didn't seem to different from 7300 the test.

I don't know if I should wait it out for the other to call or just take a gamble and go with this one. If I passed the other ones, is there a chance of not being called?
Anyone else in this same situation? 

• 2 weeks later...

I think they are having a difficult time getting people to join this. I was called to come in for may 3rd. But declined and sent the paper back saying that I declined and they sent me another form inviting me to come in again on may 15. If I wasn't in the situation I'm currently in, I would have jumped in.

Did any one get called recently for this one?

I know earlier in the thread someone mentioned that this is to work only out of the spring Creek Depot. But on the form I got recently. It mentions that we can expect to work out of any borough. Did they change that or what?

Edited by Mr NewFlyer

• 3 weeks later...

Reason why i declined was because i learned that the training is full time but the position is part time so that means you would have to leave your current job to do the training then would become a part timer. It’ll hurt me financially to go backwards like that. Plus your going to be on the extra list for a while so finding another job along with this would be  challenging.

10 hours ago, DrewMania said:

Reason why i declined was because i learned that the training is full time but the position is part time so that means you would have to leave your current job to do the training then would become a part timer. It’ll hurt me financially to go backwards like that. Plus your going to be on the extra list for a while so finding another job along with this would be  challenging.

True,  but I think after a certain time you become full time. My friend just started at Springcreek and he was told about 8 months...give or take...

7 hours ago, msmcmillan said:

True,  but I think after a certain time you become full time. My friend just started at Springcreek and he was told about 8 months...give or take...

Yea the young lady told me the same when i was down at livingston but i told her to wait 6 to 8 months with up and down pay working different shifts without a clear cut guarantee is hard to stomach. Lord knows i wanna work for MTA but to take a pay cut that large can put a lot of stress on someone when it comes to taking care of one’s self.

Now if they told me i would know my hours from jump and work those until like say a new bid come around then cool i could get another side job and figure it out from there. But the lady told me I would be on the extra list so day to day or week to week i could be working a completely different shift. OUCH! 

• +Young+ changed the title to MTA Bus Co. Part-Time Bus Operator Exams/Hiring Process
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Eturnulrs704 said:

I still havent heard anything. And they told me 30_90 days. Smh. Starting to think i wasted my time. Did get a letter about exam 7612 though. Telling me to expect my list number soon. Again. Probably a waste of time. 

Idk I’m asking because there is a new posting for part-time buss driver thats up on the mta website. And combing through this thread there is nothing in detail in this subject. The other threads are extremely helpful but to a certain point because at the end of training we will be part time and scheduling might be different.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2018 at 2:15 PM, Oscarthegrouch said:

Idk I’m asking because there is a new posting for part-time buss driver thats up on the mta website. And combing through this thread there is nothing in detail in this subject. The other threads are extremely helpful but to a certain point because at the end of training we will be part time and scheduling might be different.

There are 7 runs at Spring Creek. 5 express lines BM 1 “Mill Basin”, BM 2 “Canarsie, BM 3 “Sheepshead Bay”, BM 5 “Gerrestien Beach, and BM 5 “East New York.  2 local lines: B100 Mill Basin, B 103 Canarsie to Cadman Plaza. Depending on your pick you can either express or, local. This is not a 24 hours depot. All buses are usually back by 2:40 am. Pay is $22.84 for part time workers.