MTA Bus Co. Part-Time Bus Operator Exams/Hiring Process

+Young+
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_busco.png.6314ead1a019792535129d932c59b563.png

Part-Time Bus Operator, Exam No. 7304 & 9303

Pay: At the time of this exam the minimum salary for Bus Operator was $22.847213 per hour.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (500s) - For Medical: (N/A)

Next Training Class:

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: If you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

(Updated December 14, 2021)

Just now, U4real said:

There are 7 runs at Spring Creek. 5 express lines BM 1 “Mill Basin”, BM 2 “Canarsie, BM 3 “Sheepshead Bay”, BM 5 “Gerrestien Beach, and BM 5 “East New York.  2 local lines: B100 Mill Basin, B 103 Canarsie to Cadman Plaza. Depending on your pick you can either express or, local. This is not a 24 hours depot. All buses are usually back by 2:40 am. Pay is $22.84 for part time workers. 

While you do line training, you will be off weekends. Also, Part time workers don’t work on Sunday, once you do start on your own. So, depending on your pick, you could have split days off.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, U4real said:

While you do line training, you will be off weekends. Also, Part time workers don’t work on Sunday, once you do start on your own. So, depending on your pick, you could have split days off.

Thank you for the insight if you wanted to work sundays could you? I already have a great full time job and only want this for the part time hours also how many days do they work is it five four hour days or three 8 hour days 

9 hours ago, Oscarthegrouch said:

Thank you for the insight if you wanted to work sundays could you? I already have a great full time job and only want this for the part time hours also how many days do they work is it five four hour days or three 8 hour days 

It’s 5 days work week. The hours depend on your pick. On average 4 hours a day.  You can sign up for OT everyday, but everything goes off seniority. If you are near the the top of seniority in your class, you have a good chance of getting overtime. Also, you move up quick in seniority, because they offer full time positions in JFK and Far Rockaway depots. As well as, at Spring Creek. To PT workers, you don’t have to be on a list. Between 3 to 12 months you will be full time, if you want it. Some quicker, depending on seniority, and need. There was a few people in my class of PT, that was offered full time once they completed line training, they took it. They was high in seniority and there was a need. 

27 minutes ago, Oscarthegrouch said:

Is line training day or night 

I'm currently going through the line training at the Depot I'm in. And it can be either day or night or both. It all depends on the driver they will pair you up with. For me I been only in the AM. One of my friends at the same Depot that is also going through the line training went through some lines at night and some during the day. So it varies

3 hours ago, Mr NewFlyer said:

I'm currently going through the line training at the Depot I'm in. And it can be either day or night or both. It all depends on the driver they will pair you up with. For me I been only in the AM. One of my friends at the same Depot that is also going through the line training went through some lines at night and some during the day. So it varies

I know al my questions have been answered a million time before thank your for answering a million and one while on line training are you just riding a route with another operator or are you actually driving the route?

1 hour ago, Oscarthegrouch said:

I know al my questions have been answered a million time before thank your for answering a million and one while on line training are you just riding a route with another operator or are you actually driving the route?

Yea sure no problem. This forum and the members here have helped me a lot. So just trying to give back.

For the line training the instructor shows you the whole trip, going to one end and coming back to the other end. When you get back. You take over and do the route until lunch. Depending on your instructor you might go back after lunch to the same route and you will continue to drive that same route until the shift ends.

Now you might have an instructor that does one route in the morning and a different route in the afternoon. If he does have 2 different routes on his run. Then when you go to that second route. He will show you the round trip and you will do the rest of the trips until you shift is over again

That's how my experience been so far for line training

Ssssso. I just got a voice mail and text telling me this: 

"This is the MTA notifying you that we have mailed you a letter to report for employment processing for Bus Operator, Exam no. 7612. Please refer to your letter for your scheduled reporting date. If you do not receive your letter by Tuesday, November 10, please call us at 347-643-7149 to confirm your appointment. Please note that you will be required to have a valid CDL permit with passenger endorsement when you report and if you do not have one, you will not be permitted to proceed in the process at this time. Thank you." 

Now i have 2 questions.

First. Does this me im actually foinf in to sign off on the process, or is this the whole paper work with the putting down my work history for the last 100 years situation i went through for the p/t application. 

Second. They say i need at least a permit with no restrictions. On my current permit i have an 

E P

A3 M P on the bottom. Are thise going to disqualify me? Thx guys in advance.  

15 minutes ago, Eturnulrs704 said:

Now i have 2 questions.

First. Does this me im actually foinf in to sign off on the process, or is this the whole paper work with the putting down my work history for the last 100 years situation i went through for the p/t application. 

Second. They say i need at least a permit with no restrictions. On my current permit i have an 

E P

A3 M P on the bottom. Are thise going to disqualify me? Thx guys in advance.  

You will be going in to begin the process. The work history is from the time you graduated high school until now. If it's hard for you, you can go to Social Security for a printout of your jobs, then you can take an educated guess with the months (they don't care about the exact dates).

Second, with what you listed and comparing that with this page, you should be fine. All Transit Buses have an automatic transmission, including the vintage ones, you're not required to have a medical certificate and the "P" restriction will be removed once you successfully pass your road test.

• 1 month later...

Hello folks, if anyone can shed a little light please do so.  According to the NOE, it says that we will be receiving an electronically generated list number and then as vacancies occur, they will schedule us for the BOSS exam. Well, I never received a list number but I just took the BOSS exam this morning. How does this work?

edited- it says the list number will be on the test admission letter. I can't recall seeing a list number on that letter, and the test proctor took it from us during the test. Where can i get that information from?

Edited by TwentyFive

19 hours ago, misslo said:
  • BOSS EXAM 9303 had title BOSS and BOSS PLUS. I wonder if it is the same survey  from BOSS #9604. IDK the booklet looks brand new.

If I had to take an educated guess, it is. From taking this exam on the 4th Floor of Livingston Street so many times, they also used the same books over and over again.

• 1 month later...

hey everyone, yesterday I received a call and email stating that I've been recommended for the part time position for exam 9303 and to report to 180 Livingston between Tuesday and Friday next week for pre employment processing. Of course with my luck, I'm out of state next week and won't be able to make it... what happens? Also I'm guessing the first step in pre employment is a drug test? And do I NEED to have a CDL? because I do not have one yet. Thanks for ansering

4 hours ago, FLeXxX said:

hey everyone, yesterday I received a call and email stating that I've been recommended for the part time position for exam 9303 and to report to 180 Livingston between Tuesday and Friday next week for pre employment processing. Of course with my luck, I'm out of state next week and won't be able to make it... what happens? Also I'm guessing the first step in pre employment is a drug test? And do I NEED to have a CDL? because I do not have one yet. Thanks for ansering

First, since you're out of state, call (347) 643 8229/30/31/32 and they will work with you as far as when you can come in.

Second, the first step consists of them running your abstract, making sure nothing is outstanding, plus paperwork and the drug (urine) test.

Third, you do not NEED a CDL. As long as you have minimum of three years driving with your regular license plus a Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP) with no N1 nor N2 restrictions, you are fine.

Edited by +Young+

16 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

First, since you're out of state, call (347) 643 8229/30/31/32 and they will work with you as far as when you can come in.

Second, the first step consists of them running your abstract, making sure nothing is outstanding, plus paperwork and the drug (urine) test.

Third, you do not NEED a CDL. As long as you have minimum of three years driving with your regular license plus a Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP) with no N1 nor N2 restrictions, you are fine.

Thanks for answering, I forgot to mention I have 6 points on my license for speeding back in October... my first ever offense... I paid everything associated with that. I do not have that permit, what would be the fastest way of getting it? Is it really worth doing this part time? Do I pick where I drive? I believe I read that training is at Zerega and that I would get assigned to Spring Creek Depot in Brooklyn? and does it matter that I live in New Rochelle? Thanks!

1 hour ago, FLeXxX said:

Thanks for answering, I forgot to mention I have 6 points on my license for speeding back in October... my first ever offense... I paid everything associated with that. I do not have that permit, what would be the fastest way of getting it? Is it really worth doing this part time? Do I pick where I drive? I believe I read that training is at Zerega and that I would get assigned to Spring Creek Depot in Brooklyn? and does it matter that I live in New Rochelle? Thanks!

Ouch! They only process candidates who have maximum of 4 points. As far as getting the points removed, for MTA purposes, those Defensive Driving Classes do nothing. Therefore, if you got the points in October of 2018, you will have to wait until October of 2021 before you can successfully complete the pre-employment process.

As far as the other questions, to get the permit, you would have to go to the DMV and take three multiple choice exams - General Knowledge, Air Brakes and the Passenger Endorsement. Besides reading sections 1 to 5 of the CDL manual, which can be found here, or by obtaining a physical book at a local DMV (free of charge), I would encourage you to take the free practice tests on the top left of cristcdl.com. Even though getting all of the endorsements is not necessary, they have helped me with the initial examinations plus the other endorsements as well. In addition, I would encourage you to get 100% familiar with this specific webpage as well.

As far as whether it's worth it part-time - the pro & con list can be found here. As far as training - Day 0 would be out of Zerega, Days 1 to 9 will be at a random depot within the 5 boroughs, and you would be assigned to the Spring Creek Depot in Brooklyn.

15 hours ago, +Young+ said:

Ouch! They only process candidates who have maximum of 4 points. As far as getting the points removed, for MTA purposes, those Defensive Driving Classes do nothing. Therefore, if you got the points in October of 2018, you will have to wait until October of 2021 before you can successfully complete the pre-employment process.

As far as the other questions, to get the permit, you would have to go to the DMV and take three multiple choice exams - General Knowledge, Air Brakes and the Passenger Endorsement. Besides reading sections 1 to 5 of the CDL manual, which can be found here, or by obtaining a physical book at a local DMV (free of charge), I would encourage you to take the free practice tests on the top left of cristcdl.com. Even though getting all of the endorsements is not necessary, they have helped me with the initial examinations plus the other endorsements as well. In addition, I would encourage you to get 100% familiar with this specific webpage as well.

As far as whether it's worth it part-time - the pro & con list can be found here. As far as training - Day 0 would be out of Zerega, Days 1 to 9 will be at a random depot within the 5 boroughs, and you would be assigned to the Spring Creek Depot in Brooklyn.

Damn, well it's probably not worth driving to Brooklyn from New Rochelle everyday anyway. I'm on the hiring list for 7612 also, I guess I should wait for that and then try to explain that the 6 points are my first ever offense. Thanks for all the info!

1 hour ago, FLeXxX said:

Damn, well it's probably not worth driving to Brooklyn from New Rochelle everyday anyway. I'm on the hiring list for 7612 also, I guess I should wait for that and then try to explain that the 6 points are my first ever offense. Thanks for all the info!

Even if you explain it, they're not going to buy it until it's been three years since the date of offense. Therefore, since this happened last October, and providing you stay clean, you can restore your name to the list during the summer of 2021, since the list for Bus Operator 7612 doesn't expire until October of 2022.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Harry featured this topic
  • Harry unpinned this topic
  • +Young+ pinned this topic