Why is the LIRR running during the storm and Metro North isn't?

nostalgia

It's because the storm impact is very different across LI, where it is more rain/sleet than snow, versus Westchester and northern areas, where there is more snow. Ridership level is irrelevant, the point is whether or not they can provide the service. 

Doesn't make much sense to me that the LIRR is operating all branches and Metro North shut down ALL lines. MTA claims light ridership on Metro North. Is there heavy ridership on the LIRR?

There is more ridership on the LIRR, but it's more about safety than anything....

At the same time though, I do believe that if storm conditions were worse on the island (compared to upstate), or if conditions were as relatively mild as it is in LI, upstate, the MTA would still opt to shut down the MNRR first.....

Albeit that it didn't happen under snowy conditions, but still, the MTA does not want another Spuyten Duyvil on its hands..... I have to say that it's a combination of this, and what QM1 6th pointed out about the differing storm conditions between the two regions.....

I just have to say that this morning was ridiculous. I have never seen the Spuyten Duyvil station so crowded. Metro-North acknowledged delays and cancelled trains, but they weren't forthcoming about which ones, which meant lonnngggg unnecessary waits. The train I waited for was supposedly 10-15 minutes late but NEVER came and the one after that was also 10-15 minutes late. When all was said and done, I waited almost 40 minutes for a train. Some people gave up and took Uber. I went and took the express bus in. As I was walking up Palisade Avenue, I saw a train finally Coming. I didn't want to deal with the insane crowding after waiting that long. The express bus isn't that Bad. Not too crowded and traffic hasn't been that bad.

I've always hated that about Metro-North. When there's problems going on you don't know for sure if your train's going to run (or stop in some cases, they think they're the damn subway sometimes and do skips) until you get to the station, and even then they don't get people on the PA to tell you about the delays.)

That's why I don't take the New Haven thru trains out of Fordham in the morning anymore. When I need them I'd rather leave Fordham 30 minutes earlier and transfer at Stamford than risk waiting for a New Haven train that'll skip at the last minute.

I've always hated that about Metro-North. When there's problems going on you don't know for sure if your train's going to run (or stop in some cases, they think they're the damn subway sometimes and do skips) until you get to the station, and even then they don't get people on the PA to tell you about the delays.)

That's why I don't take the New Haven thru trains out of Fordham in the morning anymore. When I need them I'd rather leave Fordham 30 minutes earlier and transfer at Stamford than risk waiting for a New Haven train that'll skip at the last minute.

What annoyed me was I checked the Metro-North Train Time app numerous times before heading to Metro-North.  The shuttle buses were running on-time, and I expected my train to be 10-15 minutes late based on the information the app provided.  The issue was they made announcements about a train that was cancelled going to Croton-Harmon while we waited, but absolutely NO announcements about the train we were waiting for, so it was a shock to see no train arrive, and then when one finally did come, it didn't even stop.  It wasn't clear if it was our regular train or another train that was packed further North.  I found the conditions at the station damn there dangerous.  The waiting room was packed, the platforms and the heating room were also packed, and people were even standing all over the stairwell.  They need to get it together that's for sure.

• 8 months later...

Wow I thought Metro North was better than LIRR but I guess not.So basically the Long Island Railroad has all the construction and accidents and Metro North Railroad has all the false train time and shared tracks.I mean I'm not saying that any of the railroads are bad it's just that it's starting to be true.

40 minutes ago, MTA Forum said:

Wow I thought Metro North was better than LIRR but I guess not.So basically the Long Island Railroad has all the construction and accidents and Metro North Railroad has all the false train time and shared tracks.I mean I'm not saying that any of the railroads are bad it's just that it's starting to be true.

Metro-North is generally good. I've taken the Hudson Line during ice storms, walked from my apartment to the Spuyten Duyvil station and my train was right on time.  The incident above was not like Metro-North that I've grown accustomed to. 

Another difference as to one running while the other may not is weather patterns.  There has been plenty of times LIRR was shut down while MNRR ran with little issue.

One storm a year or two ago had 3 feet of snow in NYC while there was barely 3 flakes of snow in Poughkeepsie.

Archived