Homeless Take Over Subway Cars To Escape Storm

Via Garibaldi 8

Well, prepare for this to be the norm once the 'boomers die out/Gen x-ers become the new "elders" - and not just during storm conditions either.

There is going to be rampant homelessness in NYC...

We’re gonna see more starving artists and musicians with liberal arts degrees on the streets.

Well, prepare for this to be the norm once the 'boomers die out/Gen x-ers become the new "elders" - and not just during storm conditions either.

There is going to be rampant homelessness in NYC...

We’re gonna see more starving artists and musicians with liberal arts degrees on the streets.

Don't forget actors and novelists...New York City is where dreams come true \o/

^^And that is exactly why I'm pursuing Transportation Planning.

One is not limited to employment strictly within one's college major. 

A fair proportion of the "starving artists" in NYC actually have trust funds or some other means of independent wealth. I have yet to meet someone who's primary employ was their own "art" who wasn't otherwise supported. 

Pursue what you want to pursue - but there are hundreds of thousands of jobs in this city in creative fields. Film, Print, Design, Writing - you name it. How many transportation planning jobs you think there are in the city? Again - I'm not trying to say your choice is bad. I'm trying to say there's nothing wrong with either. 

And I'm trying to say that no, creative employment does not put one squarely on the path to living on the street. And no, a particular major does not place one on the trajectory toward a nomadic, homeless state. Actually, while this statistic is infrequently tracked, across what I could find:  only about 5% of homeless individuals have a college degree.

I agree that transportation structures and vehicles should not become encampments for anyone - but I contend that we should look at that and think of larger solutions and not just - "keep that away from me 

I'm happy to have a larger public policy debate with regard to causes of, and ameliorative measures to homelessness - but, this may not be the forum or thread for that. So, allow me to summarize: 

Abridged list of issues contributing to homelessness: 

• Mental Health - 25-55%
  • Liberal Arts Major - 0%

Wait, because dreams come true in NY? Or did I miss something.....

Don't forget actors and novelists...New York City is where dreams come true \o/

This, and it's already happening.... College dropouts & even graduates from other states migrate to this city in hopes of seeing greener grass, to no avail.... It's a very real thing... It isn't just the malodorous, mentally and/or physically ill drug and/or alcohol abusers that constitutes the homeless in this city anymore....

I hate to put it like this, but more & more "normal" looking people are becoming homeless.....

I have a B.A. Urban Planning degree (officially "Planning and Public Policy") from Rutgers, obtained unceremoniously in 2011, after several years of being a "non traditional" student. Long story short, after failing miserably in getting that career started, I wound up becoming a bus operator, making more money, and being more satisfied, than I ever had before.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

It appears that Fulton Center's street level has been cleared of homeless people. However, some of them still sit on the stairs on the lower level.

They supposedly clear them out of Grand Central too, but they still manage to hang around. You can spot them and there are still plenty of them around, some with their belongings and others with nothing, but as New Yorker, my street smarts immediately let me know who is who.

Yes, I read about this elsewhere. Terrible situation.  People also need to be VERY aware of their surroundings. Can't stress that enough.  A lot of these homeless folks have mental illnesses and they roam the platforms looking for their next victim.  I always look around constantly when I take the subway, even more so now than I used to.  I don't use any earbuds or take out my phone.  People like to blast their music so they aren't harassed for money.  More and more folks try to zone out and I get it, but they're putting themselves at risk.

Can't be a transportation planner in a suburb where people don't want it.

I get what you're trying to say....

NY1 made a report on the homeless situation at Jamaica Center station....

Speaking of homeless people at Jamaica Center, does this report include them "hoteps" in their purple & yellow pajamas, preaching that prison religion by any chance?

Archived