Snow readiness and the Subway

RailRunRob

They probably had a surplus of salt this year since we only had one other big storm this winter. Also, Metro-North's middle management isn't nearly as inept as NYCT's mid-tier management.

I would agree with that.  Outside of that last snow storm when the Spuyten Duyvil was under ice, I haven't had any issues with using MNRR stations.  I have a meeting tonight in Hoboken, and I'm using PATH to get there since it's within walking distance of the station. Will be interesting to compare how their stations are in terms of snow removal.

I would agree with that.  Outside of that last snow storm when the Spuyten Duyvil was under ice, I haven't had any issues with using MNRR stations.  I have a meeting tonight in Hoboken, and I'm using PATH to get there since it's within walking distance of the station. Will be interesting to compare how their stations are in terms of snow removal.

I don't think they stopped service during the storm. I know PATH is upgrading to ATC as well. 13-15 stations im sure they'd have it under control.  Well at least I'd hope.

I don't think they stopped service during the storm. I know PATH is upgrading to ATC as well. 13-15 stations im sure they'd have it under control.  Well at least I'd hope.

All I know is I'm in Hoboken, and it looks ten times better than the City right now in terms of snow removal (PATH train stations and the streets).

DOT absolutely dropped the ball cleaning sidewalks, streets and bus stops. That's not on the MTA, in my opinion.

DOT and DSNY did a terrible job cleaning up bus stops and sidewalks today in Queens as was mentioned above. Plus by tonight all the plows pushed snow back on front of all the stops that had previously been cleared.

Worth noting that the DOT and DSNY have no responsibility for sidewalks that aren't city property, and even then I'm not sure it's their jurisdiction. Property owners are required to clear the snow in front of their building, whether residential or commercial, and when you see sidewalks unplowed that's because the property owners haven't bothered to clear them. Liability is theirs if somebody falls and hurts themselves, so it might catch up to them anyway. Thought the DSNY did a pretty good job clearing the storm, generally.

What happened was changed because of two particular incidents.

• A bilizzard that turned out to be far more than forecast, around 09-10 I think trapped A train riders somewhere near broad channel for many hours.
  • An ice storm caused trains to get stuck in yards during another storm, and the rush hour service the next day was a *disaster*.
So, the result of this is, you will have above-ground-suspensions if a storm is forecast to be above a certain threshhold, and you'll move the trains out of the yards if it's forecast to be certain conditions.

Moving the trains out of the yards means parking them on express tracks, means you have to suspend express service. It also means until you get the trains laid up on the express tracks moving - service has to stay suspended possibly into the AM rush. Which definitely happened today.

As for the cuts to outdoor service - well - that may not have been necessary this time - but that was the governor's decision directly. As was the full-shutdown last year.

I can find links to these stories if you like.

I remember that rush hour disaster...God. You should never try to start up rush hour with THAT limited amount of trains that you have...

Worth noting that the DOT and DSNY have no responsibility for sidewalks that aren't city property, and even then I'm not sure it's their jurisdiction. Property owners are required to clear the snow in front of their building, whether residential or commercial, and when you see sidewalks unplowed that's because the property owners haven't bothered to clear them. Liability is theirs if somebody falls and hurts themselves, so it might catch up to them anyway. Thought the DSNY did a pretty good job clearing the storm, generally.

I should clarify, I was referring to bus stops (which are city responsibility) and the area in the street immediately past the curb (in other words, the edge of the street/blacktop). I agree, some stores and homeowners did not shovel either, which is terrible (and I often send in complaints so they get tickets at this point. No excuse not to shovel by now.

I should clarify, I was referring to bus stops (which are city responsibility) and the area in the street immediately past the curb (in other words, the edge of the street/blacktop). I agree, some stores and homeowners did not shovel either, which is terrible (and I often send in complaints so they get tickets at this point. No excuse not to shovel by now.

At this point they would need to use a pick since it's all ice anyway, but yeah, seems like a lot of store owners did nothing. I was on the Upper West Side last night and several businesses hadn't done anything. 

Archived