F express in Brooklyn to start...this year?

46Dover

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As someone who takes the (F) express in Queens to/from Manhattan, I don't see any appeal or benefits of the line running express in Brooklyn. It's still slow and excruciating to get into the city despite the (F) skipping local stops between Forest Hills and 21st-Queensbridge because of the massive delays due to congestion on the tracks. In fact it's very common to see people on a Manhattan bound (F) transfer to the (E) across the platform at Union Turnpike because the (E) is faster and more direct.

A "50%" reduction in service is not true as they still have the (G) train. They should try to reopen Bergen Street lower level though

No its totally true... It's a 50% reduction in Manhattan bound service which the majority of commuters at those stations are looking for. The (G) won't help them at all...

No its totally true... It's a 50% reduction in Manhattan bound service which the majority of commuters at those stations are looking for. The (G) won't help them at all...

They can use the (A)(C) at Hoyt schermerhorn, so not a total loss.

Tought these (F) express discussions died off a long time ago LOL. From my experience there is already occasional express service on the (F) during rush hour and honestly there is a possibility it can be helpful. The train doesn't get excessively crowded that much during the rush usually a good amount of people get off to transfer to the (A) and (C) at Jay st metro tech.

Are you freaking kidding me? Of course thats a loss...

I tried (G) to (A)(C) once when there were issues on the (F), its terrible.

I use one of the stations that will be affected by this, and I'm OK doing that. It really isn't that bad at rush hour.

I'm not denying it isn't inconvenient, but I don't think you can totally discount it either.

People at Fort Hamilton Parkway and 15th Street/PPW can take the (G) to 7th Avenue to have the choice of any Manhattan-bound (F) (and if the (F) express comes first, then they gain back some of the time on the express run).

And most...not all. There's still some (however small) number of people who are traveling between stations on the Church-Bergen segment (heck, for that matter, some people need to take the (G) anyway and won't be affected either way). 

With any luck, the (L) shutdown will mean not only more cars, but shorter headways for the (G).  That would help to mitigate the loss of half of (F) trains, but the other problem is, as people mentioned already, the transfer at Hoyt is a PITA.  It's not only potentially 15 minutes out of the way, but the layout at Hoyt is not intuitive: the Manhattan-bound (A)(C) is on the opposite platform as the Queens-bound (G).

But it will stop short of the end of the line at Coney Island, and total F service will not increase the number of trains on the line will remain the same, with some existing trains remaining local and others going express.

So, the F's that short turn at Kings Hwy will be local & the F's that go to Stillwell will be express?

I’ve been taking the F train my entire life, and when I say it’s one of the most excruciating, slow trains in New York, it’s not an exaggeration,” he said, adding the train can take as long as an hour and a half to crawl from Coney Island to parts of Manhattan.

I can believe this....

Hell, from the opposite end of the line, I can say that taking the F from Sutphin to Church is almost an hour & a half during the PM rush...

I take the (F) train whenever I have to stop off in Jamaica & want to get a good nap in before going home..... I am usually in no "rush" to get home.....

Are you freaking kidding me? Of course thats a loss...

I tried (G) to (A)(C) once when there were issues on the (F), its terrible.

Lol....

The G isn't used all that interchangeably with the F, even b/w Bergen & Church..... I'm with you 100% on this one... It's not a substitute.

No way in f*** would I bother with doing the G to the A/C, or the G to the L further north, to get to Manhattan....

While it's good that the G got the extension to Church, there are still issues with reliability with the line....

I mean these local riders will get less crowded trains as people will probably transfer at the nearest express station to the express (F) Train. A lot of the fear was that the crowd will stay the same with 50% reduction which will not happen

A "50%" reduction in service is not true as they still have the (G) train. They should try to reopen Bergen Street lower level though

Why did they remove the tiles at Bergen lower level anyways... The one at Roosevelt still exists (I think)

I mean these local riders will get less crowded trains as people will probably transfer at the nearest express station to the express (F) Train. A lot of the fear was that the crowd will stay the same with 50% reduction which will not happen

Why did they remove the tiles at Bergen lower level anyways... The one at Roosevelt still exists (I think)

When they rebuilt the station after they caught fire, they didn't redo the lower level since it wasn't being used

I mean it aint like they not gonna have an F running at the bypass stations....sure you lose most trains but you not gonna wait that long for an F at local stations... if so you still got G trains connecting to F trains before Manhattan...most ppl in my opinion know the subway..i think in today's economy it might work..who knows

Reopening the lower level at Bergen Street is something that should be done anyway if you are going to have some (F) express service.

I have previously said what I would be looking at doing is this, however:

(C) diverts from the 8th Avenue line at West 4th and becomes the Culver Express to Coney Island (except late nights)

(F) terminates with the (G) at Church Avenue (except late nights when it would run as it does now plus a few peak runs to/from Kings Highway)

This keeps Park Slope riders happy since the (F) would run as it does now (albeit truncated to Church Avenue other than late nights) while the (C) would run via Rutgers with the (F).  This also gives those at Coney Island an 8th Avenue option at all times (other than late nights) along with those on the Culver Line whom if they are specifically looking for 6th Avenue midtown can either transfer to the (F) at Church Avenue or do a same platform transfer at Broadway-Lafayette to any 6th Avenue line.

The big issue as also noted before would be how many trains can run through Broadway-Lafayette if the (C)(F) and (M) all stop there on the "local" track since that would be at or just over the 30 TPH limit.

Again I ask, what the hell did Fulton St ever do to piss you off so much? Almost every one of your "brilliant" plans call for a significant reduction in service along that stretch for some weird reason and I'm actually quite curious as to why.

As for the restoration of Culver express service, if I recall correctly, it's contingent on the completion of the rehab work along the line. That means express service will likely not see the light of day until sometime next year at the earliest. Also, until the MTA actually gives a definite start date for express service, don't expect it. After all, didn't the agency promise the return of express service on the Church Av - Kings Hwy segment following the first Culver rehab back in the '80s? We're still waiting...

Reopening the lower level at Bergen Street is something that should be done anyway if you are going to have some (F) express service.

(C) diverts from the 8th Avenue line at West 4th and becomes the Culver Express to Coney Island (except late nights)

(F) terminates with the (G) at Church Avenue (except late nights when it would run as it does now plus a few peak runs to/from Kings Highway)

This keeps Park Slope riders happy since the (F) would run as it does now (albeit truncated to Church Avenue other than late nights) while the (C) would run via Rutgers with the (F).  This also gives those at Coney Island an 8th Avenue option at all times (other than late nights) along with those on the Culver Line whom if they are specifically looking for 6th Avenue midtown can either transfer to the (F) at Church Avenue or do a same platform transfer at Broadway-Lafayette to any 6th Avenue line.

The big issue as also noted before would be how many trains can run through Broadway-Lafayette if the (C)(F) and (M) all stop there on the "local" track since that would be at or just over the 30 TPH limit.

Whats running on Fulton in this scenario?

Again I ask, what the hell did Fulton St ever do to piss you off so much? Almost every one of your "brilliant" plans call for a significant reduction in service along that stretch for some weird reason and I'm actually quite curious as to why.

As for the restoration of Culver express service, if I recall correctly, it's contingent on the completion of the rehab work along the line. That means express service will likely not see the light of day until sometime next year at the earliest. Also, until the MTA actually gives a definite start date for express service, don't expect it. After all, didn't the agency promise the return of express service on the Church Av - Kings Hwy segment following the first Culver rehab back in the '80s? We're still waiting...

Would the Church Avenue - Kings Highway express segment even help? I'm curious as to why it was run in the 80s.

This keeps Park Slope riders happy since the (F) would run as it does now (albeit truncated to Church Avenue other than late nights) while the (C) would run via Rutgers with the (F). This also gives those at Coney Island an 8th Avenue option at all times (other than late nights) along with those on the Culver Line whom if they are specifically looking for 6th Avenue midtown can either transfer to the (F) at Church Avenue or do a same platform transfer at Broadway-Lafayette to any 6th Avenue line.

Also, talk about merging madness. In the space of 2 stops, you'll have trains entering and leaving 2 already congested local tracks. In fact, you'll be running 34.5 tph if you maintain current frequency (10 C, 14.5 F, 9 M). And all of this for what? Culver Express? Just use the F for that. The C is needed for Fulton, much more than it is needed on the F line.

And as for connections, just use the cross platform at Jay or W 4th. Neither of those are at all difficult.

This keeps Park Slope riders happy since the (F) would run as it does now (albeit truncated to Church Avenue other than late nights) while the (C) would run via Rutgers with the (F). This also gives those at Coney Island an 8th Avenue option at all times (other than late nights) along with those on the Culver Line whom if they are specifically looking for 6th Avenue midtown can either transfer to the (F) at Church Avenue or do a same platform transfer at Broadway-Lafayette to any 6th Avenue line.

What is your hard on for taking the (C) off of Fulton? So since now we'd be over serving Culver, what's going to serve Fulton Street? We don't have the (JFK) anymore and we don't have nearly enough equipment to send the (E) that way. The (A) can't even handle its own riders and you're going to ask them to make room for local riders in Brooklyn? Nah man, you're crazy.

With any luck, the (L) shutdown will mean not only more cars, but shorter headways for the (G). That would help to mitigate the loss of half of (F) trains, but the other problem is, as people mentioned already, the transfer at Hoyt is a PITA. It's not only potentially 15 minutes out of the way, but the layout at Hoyt is not intuitive: the Manhattan-bound (A)(C) is on the opposite platform as the Queens-bound (G).

Now this is true. G trains to Queens are on the same platform as the A to the Rockaways and vice versa which is really confusing. I myself, a 11 year Railfan veteran, always get mixed up in that transfer.

Doesn't that overburden Church Av as a terminal?  It will be like the 71st Ave conga line.

Archived