F express in Brooklyn to start...this year?

46Dover

You are missing the point here. A third Culver line service would be an increase over the current service and not some silly relabeling.

It was mostly in response to Wallyhorse's suggestion for the millionth time to reroute the (C) to the Culver Line and replace it with half the (E). I certainly don't think that's needed. Perhaps additional (F) local / (V) (or diamond-F) express service should we finally have enough cars and a signal system that can handle it.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

50% reduction of service at every station south of Church Ave. which an express train by-passes.

Under the current plan, express service will only exist north of Church Avenue, so no stations south of Church will see decreased service.

Avenues U and X will actually see increased service because the current locals ending at Kings Highway would end at Avenue X instead.

Under the current plan, express service will only exist north of Church Avenue, so no stations south of Church will see decreased service.

Avenues U and X will actually see increased service because the current locals ending at Kings Highway would end at Avenue X instead.

A perfect spot since the Av X yards are nearby

Provided the Kings Highway short-turns turn at Church Ave instead and this only takes place in the peak direction this seems like a great idea.

Customers south of Kings Highway:

Pros:

Quicker commutes for nearly all customers

Crowding reduced by 50%

Cons:
Seemingly none*

Customers between Kings Highway and Church Ave:

Pros:

Quicker commutes for nearly 50% of customers, others stay the same (increased wait times will be cancelled out by the quicker service, but customers who take one of the full-length trains anyways will have a net benefit through quicker service)

Crowding reduced by 50%

Cons:

Seemingly none*

Customers between Church Ave and Jay St:

Pros:

Crowding reduced significantly for stations in Park Slope, with there being chances of getting a seat

Cons:

Waiting times doubled

Customers north of Jay St:

Pros:
Crowding reduced on some trains

Cons:

Seemingly none*

Bonuses:

New service is cheaper to run thanks to reduced run-time on the express trains, and earlier turnbacks on the local ones

Potential to reduce crowding on the (N) and (Q)

Really the only people getting the short end of the stick in this deal are Boerum Hill residents, but there are many more (F) riders outside of those stops than inside of those stops, and that's not even including the added bonuses.

*People who are going from stations south of Church to a non-express station between Church and Jay in the peak direction only would have to transfer, and north of Kings Highway would have even further increased travel times (this doesn't affect people transferring to the (R) since they can do so at Jay St), and people in the reverse-peak direction going from north of Church St to a stop between Church St and Kings Highway would have doubled wait times due to the short-turns, but I don't think either of these groups are large enough during these time periods to warrant mentioning outside of this footnote.

Well with the coming orders of R179's and R211's, and by the time this gets implemented, I think we will.

Besides, if people want direct service to Manhattan, then just wait for the (F), or take the (G) to Hoyt St, Metropolitan or Court Square for lines that connect to Manhattan.

The 179s don't even play a part in this. Only 40 of the ordered cars are to built as five-car sets. The 260 remaining cars will all be four-car sets slated to run on the (C) and (J) lines. Also, as we are likely years away from seeing the 211s in service, plans for any major service change must take into account the current fleet roster, not what we can hope to expect in 2020 or so.

and now the warfare has begun the downtown politicans pulled their support, and now those that want are attacking the downtown yuppies as selfish people

http://www.brooklyndaily.com/stories/2017/15/bn-pols-press-f-express-2017-04-14-bk.html

From the comments:

Jay from Sunset Park says:
If you're going to complain about a lack of transportation options, don't do so in front of a station that has four subway lines. Just saying.

LOL!

Yeah that was a good laugh...

Despite the fact that my stop would be negatively affected by this, I still think it should be done. Greatest good for the greatest number, that's how democracy is supposed to work.

Yeah that was a good laugh...

Despite the fact that my stop would be negatively affected by this, I still think it should be done. Greatest good for the greatest number, that's how democracy is supposed to work.

Right!

If they could renovate and re-open Bergen LL, that could fix a lot of these issues.  At least then there is a transfer point between the (G) and (F) for those taking the (G).

This is also why it's too bad there isn't a way to set up Broadway-Lafayette so you can have the (C)(F) and (M) all stop on the local platform for reasons I noted previously (and with the impending (L) shutdown probably could not happen before 2020 at the earliest anyway due to the obvious need for additional (M) service that I also went into previously elsewhere).  

This is also why it's too bad there isn't a way to set up Broadway-Lafayette so you can have the (C)(F) and (M) all stop on the local platform for reasons I noted previously (and with the impending (L) shutdown probably could not happen before 2020 at the earliest anyway due to the obvious need for additional (M) service that I also went into previously elsewhere).  

Not again...

I believe that the F locals should start at Church Av & the F express at Coney Island with some going into service at Avenue X, maybe there should be a reduction in service south of Church Av.

Maybe the solution is to label the (F) express trains as (V) doing just what was noted otherwise.  

Right!

If they could renovate and re-open Bergen LL, that could fix a lot of these issues. At least then there is a transfer point between the (G) and (F) for those taking the (G).

Not again....

Next thing you know you're going to say let's bring back the K.....

....wait a sec..... This post is familiar.....

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Archived