MTA Announces Roll Out of New Buses With Wifi and USB Charging Ports in the Bronx

Around the Horn

IIRC, that is what the trip did however the interior signs showed Main and Kissena as the last stop...

17343004_284840101949464_164247291693506

All Buses to Flushing are supposed to terminate at 39th Av, and I have seen zero buses that kicks everyone off at Kissena, however I have seen the buses turn on 39th av dropping ppl of by the church. 

All Buses to Flushing are supposed to terminate at 39th Av, and I have seen zero buses that kicks everyone off at Kissena, however I have seen the buses turn on 39th av dropping ppl of by the church. 

Well today it did... kicked off everyone at that stop by the library.

lol! Oh come on. I rarely see anyone throwing snowballs at buses these days. Besides we haven't really had that much snow of late anyway.

I'm aware of that, but what also seems to be happening is the newest buses are being put on the SBS lines, while the local lines see mainly older buses and those that are hand-me-downs from the SBS lines. I hope that can be worked on as more of these new buses come in.

Only buses that were hand-me-downs from the SBS lines were the 1200s and the original SBS D60s. When the 5700s came in they immediately bumped off the 1200s. The Bronx is still getting new Nova artics (that one 5400 still running around, I think it's 5439 or whatever lol), and word is that they will also be be getting the new XD60s

If you want to compare Bronx depots GunHill has the least demanding workload. 

Here's the list of GH Routes: Bx4/4a, Bx5, Bx12, Bx12 SBS, Bx16, Bx22, Bx24, Bx26, Bx28/38, Bx29, Bx30, Bx34, Bx40/42, Bx41, Bx41 SBS

WF Routes: Bx6, Bx8, Bx11, Bx15 split, Bx17, Bx19, Bx21, Bx27, Bx31, Bx32,  Bx33, Bx35, Bx36, Bx46

KB Routes: Bx1/2, Bx3, Bx7, Bx9, Bx10, Bx13, Bx15 split, Bx18, Bx20, Bx39, M100

Going through this list GH has a piece of cake to deal with compared to the other Bronx depots. If demand is an excuse for poor bus condition, KB and WF have far more of a case to make.

Well today it did... kicked off everyone at that stop by the library.

The old program to Flushing listed the last stop as Main Street and 39. They have been updating the programs pretty often on the Q44, so I assume it's either they didn't include that stop, or the driver has an option where to terminate. 

How much power do these usb ports supply?

I'm curious too.  I haven't tried them yet with my new phone, but they were God awful with my old one.  Sometimes they just didn't supply enough juice to get a good charge.  It seems as if the old fashion way (actual electric plug) works better on them.  

How much power do these usb ports supply?

I'm curious too. I haven't tried them yet with my new phone, but they were God awful with my old one. Sometimes they just didn't supply enough juice to get a good charge. It seems as if the old fashion way (actual electric plug) works better on them.

For a route as long as the Q44, if you are not using it constantly, from end to end the chargers go to at least halfway the battery percentage.

For a route as long as the Q44, if you are not using it constantly, from end to end the chargers go to at least halfway the battery percentage.

And how long does it take for that to occur?  The best that I got on my old phone is that my battery doesn't decrease. It just stays at the percentage that it was. I have this super charger function on my new phone, so I'm going to try it on one of the express buses and see how it does.  

And how long does it take for that to occur? The best that I got on my old phone is that my battery doesn't decrease. It just stays at the percentage that it was. I have this super charger function on my new phone, so I'm going to try it on one of the express buses and see how it does.

Whenever I ride the route from end to end, it usually takes me an hour and a half. Last time I rode it, my battery went from about 46% to 99%. Not really that impressive for a local bus if you are riding a short distance or looking for a quick charge.

Whenever I ride the route from end to end, it usually takes me an hour and a half. Last time I rode it, my battery went from about 46% to 99%. Not really that impressive for a local bus if you are riding a short distance or looking for a quick charge.

LOL! Now that I've bought a new phone I basically try to have it fully charged before I leave the office.  I keep my old one too so that I use that one more and have the new one standby.  Should help elongate the battery life more over time.  May start doing that long term.  The old one still works.  Battery is just worn out.

A couple of days ago I took the X17J for around an hour trip. The battery was completely empty when I started, but by the time I finished it was at I think 48% (One of my clients gave me an old smartphone that they weren't using anymore, so I use it to download notes from class to study when I'm on the bus, and stuff like that). Not sure if it would've charged more or less on my flip phone.

If the operator is going by what's programmed into the signs and announcement system, he won't get in trouble.

Not everything is a reportable offense.

Officially the stop for Flushing is Main and 39th in both directions, if they program displays Main at Kissena they could use it as a valid excuse, but it's simply not true and doing so make people transferring to routes like the Q13,Q16, and Q28 have to walk a long distance in order to do so. Pretty much these drivers need to stop trying to take every shortcut they can possibly take, going to Main and 39th will only add a minute to their travel time, if they turn on 39th.

Officially the stop for Flushing is Main and 39th in both directions, if they program displays Main at Kissena they could use it as a valid excuse, but it's simply not true and doing so make people transferring to routes like the Q13,Q16, and Q28 have to walk a long distance in order to do so. Pretty much these drivers need to stop trying to take every shortcut they can possibly take, going to Main and 39th will only add a minute to their travel time, if they turn on 39th.

How do you know that they are taking shortcuts?

You of all people should know that there's dispatchers all over that Flushing Hub. If something was amiss, they'd be in trouble for it because the dispatchers would see them in action.

The same things that's programmed into the signs are programmed into the tablets and such the dispatchers use, so they won't get into trouble, nor are they actually taking shortcuts. The main reason they terminate at 39th is for the dispatchers(in the event they are sent to pull in, or do another run, ect) and for the drivers, in the event they do driver changes.

How do you know that they are taking shortcuts?

You of all people should know that there's dispatchers all over that Flushing Hub. If something was amiss, they'd be in trouble.

Of course they'll behave when someone's watching, but they're not always watching. 

Of course they'll behave when someone's watching, but they're not always watching. 

The operators on the Q44 in Flushing are always on watch...you have the main dispatcher(s) at 39th, and then you have some of the others sitting in unmarked, non-MTA cars. Dispatchers are always on watch because they have to keep logs off the buses/routes, hence why you see them walking all over the place with their equipment checking the buses, the drivers, the run numbers, ect.

There's always someone watching. They also sit in the depot watching every single bus in real-time and will call you if something is wrong.

What's the average trip time per rider (on average, meaning, regardless of route) on our (NYC) buses anyway? If any type of a study was ever done on that, that is.....

Regardless, I'm steadfast in my belief that you really shouldn't be on these buses long enough to have much of a benefit for these things..... It's as if this is the MTA throwing their hands up at seriously making bus service better - by making the ride on said bus less painful to have to endure....

Lipstick.... Pig.... Successfully applied.....

---------------------

As for the Flushing bit above.... Lol... b/o's aren't getting away with shit in that immediate area ("heart" of Flushing)...

As was said, the area is rife w/ dispatchers; apparently they got em over there in the abyss (lol) that is the Q58 terminal now..... Same deal goes for that side street where the Q66 & the Q50 makes their last dropoff at.....

Archived