Lucky Local Stations

CenSin

The MTA often reroute trains express when doing weekend or night work. But some stations usually escape service reductions this way. What are some such stations?

What I know from experience:

• Bay 50 Street ((D))
  • 49 Street ((N)(R)(W))
  • 74 Street–Broadway ((7))
  • 169 Street ((F))
  • 135 Street ((C))
  • 161 Street–Yankee Stadium ((D))
  • 167 Street ((D))
  • Bergen Street ((F)(G))
  • Carroll Street ((F)(G))
  • Smith–9 Streets ((F)(G))
  • Ditmas Avenue ((F))
  • Avenue X ((F))

Pretty sure when need to be MTA will run express and skip these stations

But that’s the key: when needed. When you look back at the history of reroutes, how often do certain local stations actually get skipped?

If Bay 50th Street (D) is considered lucky, would 25th Avenue  (D) be considered lucky too?

Yes, actually. Most (D) reroutes stop at Bay 50th and 25th Avenue, then switch to the express. The reverse is also true.

Funny though, when the (N) is rerouted over West End, Manhattan-bound trains stop at Bay 50th, and then go express. CI-bound trains skip Bay 50th altogether.

I admire how they try to have (7) trains stop at 74th Street before or after going express (depending on the situation.)

Look at today's GO for example:

7.png Flushing-bound trains skip 33, 40, 46, 52 and 69 Sts

People say CBTC is the best thing that's happened on the (7) line... Nope... The (MTA) installing new switches on both sides on 74th Street is the best thing that's happened to the (7) line, hands down.

That's exactly why those switches were moved from 61 Street to 74 Street. Those switches allow for emergency express-only service while maintaining the transfer to the Queens Blvd line.

In the context of this list of so-called lucky stations, trains still stop at these stations even during battery runs because they're either transfer points to other lines; like Bergen St, Carroll St and 161 St-Yankee Stadium; or they're really busy stations, like 49 Street. Skips of these stations are generally avoided because it will just exacerbate the delays that are already there due to whatever problem arose.

I admire how they try to have (7) trains stop at 74th Street before or after going express (depending on the situation.)

People say CBTC is the best thing that's happened on the (7) line... Nope... The (MTA) installing new switches on both sides on 74th Street is the best thing that's happened to the (7) line, hands down.

fully aware of the fact that such would have made the project a multimilliondollar boondoggle - but not for nothing, express platforms would have been even better  :D

<p>

The MTA often reroute trains express when doing weekend or night work. But some stations usually escape service reductions this way. What are some such stations?

What I know from experience:

• Bay 50 Street ((D))
  • 49 Street ((N)(R)(W))
  • 74 Street–Broadway ((7))
  • 169 Street ((F))
  • 135 Street ((C))
  • 161 Street–Yankee Stadium ((D))
  • 167 Street ((D))
  • Bergen Street ((F)(G))
  • Carroll Street ((F)(G))
  • Smith–9 Streets ((F)(G))
  • Ditmas Avenue ((F))
  • Avenue X ((F))

Thats not true for 135th Street (C) nor any of the Concourse (D) Train Stations.

74th St is technically an express station because of the way how it's now set up.

So by that criterion, Ditmas Avenue ((F)) should also be considered an express stop, and 169 Street ((F)), and perhaps also Jackson Avenue ((2)(5)).

Thats not true for 135th Street (C) nor any of the Concourse (D) Train Stations.

I’ll keep an eye out for service changes in the future then. 135 Street is flanked by switches on both sides and I oculd have sworn that the MTA has a lot of G.O. involving express runs only between 59 Street–Columbus Circle and 125 Street. That isn’t to say that 135 Street is never skipped, just that it has a higher probability of escaping service cuts during a G.O. along the rest of the line.

I’ll keep an eye out for service changes in the future then. 135 Street is flanked by switches on both sides and I oculd have sworn that the MTA has a lot of G.O. involving express runs only between 59 Street–Columbus Circle and 125 Street. That isn’t to say that 135 Street is never skipped, just that it has a higher probability of escaping service cuts during a G.O. along the rest of the line.

Not entirely the case. There's been a good amount of G.Os where all trains ran CPW Express skipping 135th Street. Plus 135th Street is also bypassed during the G.Os when trains skipped 155th and 163rd Street.

Quick question: Are they installing switches that would allow the expresses to go by them at a higher rate of speed during the rush? I could swear that express trains slow down when approaching and then speed up again once they get past them (happens both ways, but it's more pronounced Flushing bound I feel).

Quick question: Are they installing switches that would allow the expresses to go by them at a higher rate of speed during the rush? I could swear that express trains slow down when approaching and then speed up again once they get past them (happens both ways, but it's more pronounced Flushing bound I feel).

Timers

fully aware of the fact that such would have made the project a multimilliondollar boondoggle - but not for nothing, express platforms would have been even better  :D

Thank god it's not a express station... The <7> would be overwhelmed

What would happen if they skipped 61st woodside for the PM rush?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Express won't be as packed, but still extremely crowded just not crushloaded. Local will pick up more riders. Most of Express ridership in my observation comes either from Junction Blvd or Main St. Woodside is usually where people transfer btw local and express (not discounting Woodside ridership)

But don't u think that would clear up space for more main st or junction riders. At Queensboro Plz, if a (N) or (W) pull in or they arrive before, ppl opt for the express right across the platform.

The time a (7) local pulls in to Queensboro Plz and pull out is relatively the same as when the <7> reaches 61st including the time it takes to get to Queensboro, but most of the time, the <7> bypasses the (7) at 74th street, so not many time savings for woodside riders to begin with.

But don't u think that would clear up space for more main st or junction riders. At Queensboro Plz, if a (N) or (W) pull in or they arrive before, ppl opt for the express right across the platform.

The time a (7) local pulls in to Queensboro Plz and pull out is relatively the same as when the <7> reaches 61st including the time it takes to get to Queensboro, but most of the time, the <7> bypasses the (7) at 74th street, so not many time savings for woodside riders to begin with.

It would definitely provide relief to the <7>. people opts for the Express because they THINK its faster when in reality its not (expect when there is a delay where people push and shove on the first local). I personally use it to catch the (7) I missed at Qboro Plz. At one point I think when they were fixing the Queens Bl Viadact I believe (MTA) Proposed the <7> to skip Woodside, the community fought it

At one point I think when they were fixing the Queens Bl Viadact I believe  (MTA) Proposed the <7> to skip Woodside, the community fought it

Pft. Everyone wants the express train to serve them and skip everyone else. Should be MTA listen to folks who think the (E)(F) trains should stop at 67 Avenue, 63 Drive–Rego Park, Woodhaven Boulevard, Grand Avenue–Newtown, and Elmhurst Avenue before running express? Some kind of balance is needed. A stop at 61 Street–Woodside comes at the expense of Junction Boulevard and Flushing–Main Street.

Pft. Everyone wants the express train to serve them and skip everyone else. Should be MTA listen to folks who think the (E)(F) trains should stop at 67 Avenue, 63 Drive–Rego Park, Woodhaven Boulevard, Grand Avenue–Newtown, and Elmhurst Avenue before running express? Some kind of balance is needed. A stop at 61 Street–Woodside comes at the expense of Junction Boulevard and Flushing–Main Street.

I'm not arguing for the Express to stop but I suspect the reason they fought it was because the infrastructure is there for the train to stop, compare to 69th where there is no platform to stop at

It would definitely provide relief to the <7>. people opts for the Express because they THINK its faster when in reality its not (expect when there is a delay where people push and shove on the first local). I personally use it to catch the (7) I missed at Qboro Plz. At one point I think when they were fixing the Queens Bl Viadact I believe  (MTA) Proposed the <7> to skip Woodside, the community fought it

I've caught <7> trains which caught up to or passed the local before Woodside, which allowed me to transfer to the local to 74th st.

Yea u get lucky sometimes and the <7> is right behind the local, it can bypass it at 40th st but usually the (7) gets some good distance before the express comes. I only support removing woodside as a stop for the PM rush when its crushloaded and its unfair for people going further that may have to wait for the next train(s). The AM rush isnt that bad, its crowded but not sardine can levels.

Archived