I Want To Be An MTA Bus Driver

I want to be an (MTA) bus driver but i have an few questions?

How old do you have to be to apply as an bus driver?

How Much do you get paid?

Do you get transferred to various depots?

How do i enter the depot with or without a car?

How Early do shifts start?

And Do i get days off with my family on holidays?

How old do you have to be to apply as an bus driver?

How Much do you get paid?

Do you get transferred to various depots?

And Do i get days off with my family on holidays?

18 years old

Starting salary is 19.97/hr

Applications to take the test for part-time MTA Bus driver are now being accepted go to http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/appexam.htm to do so. Also, there are three other filing periods this year for fulltime MTA Bus, NYCT and MaBSTOA drivers this year. The page I linked has all the info

During your first year, as with most positions, don't expect to have a life. Depot assignments varies during your first year or two (you start out as an "extra-extra"- you go where they tell you to go.). As far as the depots themselves, it varies. You'll find out when your in training. There's usually 3 shifts, AM, PM, and Midnights. Since you'll be new, don't expect to get to choose and get what you want. Same thing for days off, you'll get two days off(back to back) each week and can change by their needs, not yours. Same thing with holidays-expect to work them your first year or so. Look, its a city job with benefits and a pension. I think that good enough to give up having any social life for a year or so.

Oh, and here's another qualification you'll need: a NYS Class B Commercial Drivers License or an NYS Drivers License WITH a Class B CDL learners permit when applying. I'm sure there's someone here that can go into more detail since I myself was in RTO (subways) and not Bus. But the general outline is similar.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

These are the two questions that I don't think were answered...like it was said previously, not only will you be new, but keep in mind that some bus routes run 24/7/365 (except in snowstorms), so the time that your shift will start will vary. As far as enter the depot with or without a car, don't worry about that now, however in most depots you can just walk right in and/or there's parking within the immediate area, respectively.

In addition, if I was you, check out this, this, this, this, & this threads for more information once you get called down for processing. Just remember: Drive their way, or it's the highway!! (trust me...)

18 years old

Starting salary is 19.97/hr

Applications to take the test for part-time MTA Bus driver are now being accepted go to http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/appexam.htm to do so. Also, there are three other filing periods this year for fulltime MTA Bus, NYCT and MaBSTOA drivers this year. The page I linked has all the info

During your first year, as with most positions, don't expect to have a life. Depot assignments varies during your first year or two (you start out as an "extra-extra"- you go where they tell you to go.). As far as the depots themselves, it varies. You'll find out when your in training. There's usually 3 shifts, AM, PM, and Midnights. Since you'll be new, don't expect to get to choose and get what you want. Same thing for days off, you'll get two days off(back to back) each week and can change by their needs, not yours. Same thing with holidays-expect to work them your first year or so. Look, its a city job with benefits and a pension. I think that good enough to give up having any social life for a year or so.

Oh, and here's another qualification you'll need: a NYS Class B Commercial Drivers License or an NYS Drivers License WITH a Class B CDL learners permit when applying. I'm sure there's someone here that can go into more detail since I myself was in RTO (subways) and not Bus. But the general outline is similar.

Wow, I didn't realize the pay was that low.  That's barely $42,000.00 a year assuming you do 40 hours a week.  When I first started working, I was making around $46,000.00 a year, but I was in my early 20's and living expenses then were A LOT lower.  While ~$42,000.00 isn't terrible (I think for the median income is around $50 - 55,000 or so for a family), given how expensive it is to live here these days, it would be very tough to live alone on that salary.  If I were A Former New Yorker, I would ditch the car unless he has cheap living expenses or has roommates or something.  That's an expense that he doesn't need.  If he gets a pass that will save him a ton in transportation expenses.  That said, I will say that most New Yorkers don't make anywhere near $50,000 a year their entire lives, so $42,000.00 a year is a starting point.  For most, the per capita income is around $30,000.00 - 35,000.00 a year.

OT can make up for it. And trust me, OT is abundant especially during your first year.

These are the two questions that I don't think were answered...like it was said previously, not only will you be new, but keep in mind that some bus routes run 24/7/365 (except in snowstorms), so the time that your shift will start will vary. As far as enter the depot with or without a car, don't worry about that now, however in most depots you can just walk right in and/or there's parking within the immediate area, respectively.

In addition, if I was you, check out this, this, this, this, & this threads for more information once you get called down for processing. Just remember: Drive their way, or it's the highway!! (trust me...)

There's also times when your assigned to be "on board". Don't even have to be assigned to a bus/route. Everything get explained when you're in. No need to overwhelm now. I think I made my overall point across when I said that you'll basically have no life your first year or two. That alone should say it

OT can make up for it. And trust me, OT is abundant especially during your first year.

So I have heard.  Apparently some B/Os make around $100,000.00 a year, but a lot of that gets eaten up in taxes so it depends.  My uncle would do a lot of overtime too back in the day, but as I said, living expenses were cheaper then.  In order to live even in the crappiest parts of the city, on a single salary, you need to make around $56,000.00 a year, but if this guy has his living expenses taken care then his salary won't be a problem.

Archived