Declining bus ridership in NYC due to improved subway service, MTA official claims

Via Garibaldi 8

But at the same time, a lot of people who work in Manhattan do take the subway for short hops for lunch and drinks after work and stuff like that, so it balances out with people making trips in subway-less areas.

That's pretty much what I was trying to say. I should have included after work subway trips when I mentioned short trips during the day.

If you subtract both those types of trips from the equation, the percentage of those who use subway and bus would increase. .

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also find that people citi-bike it to their places of residence, citi-bike it to work as well after coming off the subway..... I'd like to know how many people that have resorted to commuting in this manner, were former bus-to-subway riders.... I can't fathom that it's majority transients & gentrifiers doing this either... NYC natives quote-unquote I have to believe are doing this in a significant enough percentage as well.....

Also, let's consider midday usage of mass transit.... On the subways over the years, that has skyrocketed... Buses city-wide however, I'd have to believe at best, remained the same.... Factoring this in, this would also diminish the gap of those that are taking both buses & subways, to those only utilizing the subway..... Putting this another way, there are more instances of the subway being utilized at different times of the day, over the bus.....

I still can't get over this farce of bus ridership declining because of the betterment of subway service.... I can only imagine how things are with my old commute of taking the (1) from Christopher to the (2) at Chambers going home.... Or, in the morning where I would take the (B) to either West 4th or B'way-Lafayette (if it was a nice brisk day to walk out) & hoof it over to the 'Village.... The M21 technically was an option, but anyone that knows about the M21 knows - it just wasn't an option... LOL.... I would laugh when I would see buses stop dead (or already parked) at the Houston/Varick  stop, on layover....

Now that the (Q) runs to the UES, I'd want no part of the Brighton during the AM rush.... It eventually got to a point where I started taking the downtown express BM1 or 2 to the M20 because I was so fed up with trying to sardine onto the (B).... Reason I started taking the B more  was because I eventually got sick of the constant stalling at President, at Clark, and for whatever reason, the (2) pulling into chambers when a (1) just left - almost like it was being done on purpose.... If you were in the subway car I was in a lot of those times, F bombs were dropping a-plenty (sad part is, it wasn't just by me either).....

You peruse forums like this & local newspapers where folks are professing the declination of quality of service on the subway (which is seldom ever talk about by the MTA) through their own individual commutes & you say to yourself, all these people can not be damn lying..... The MTA can get away with spewing this turgid garbage because they know full well how subway dependent people are in this city!

It is not that subway service has gotten better... It is that bus service has gotten that much worse over the years.

If you ask me, it's by design.

I also find that people citi-bike it to their places of residence, citi-bike it to work as well after coming off the subway..... I'd like to know how many people that have resorted to commuting in this manner, were former bus-to-subway riders.... I can't fathom that it's majority transients & gentrifiers doing this either... NYC natives quote-unquote I have to believe are doing this in a significant enough percentage as well.....

Also, let's consider midday usage of mass transit.... On the subways over the years, that has skyrocketed... Buses city-wide however, I'd have to believe at best, remained the same.... Factoring this in, this would also diminish the gap of those that are taking both buses & subways, to those only utilizing the subway..... Putting this another way, there are more instances of the subway being utilized at different times of the day, over the bus.....

I still can't get over this farce of bus ridership declining because of the betterment of subway service.... I can only imagine how things are with my old commute of taking the (1) from Christopher to the (2) at Chambers going home.... Or, in the morning where I would take the (B) to either West 4th or B'way-Lafayette (if it was a nice brisk day to walk out) & hoof it over to the 'Village.... The M21 technically was an option, but anyone that knows about the M21 knows - it just wasn't an option... LOL.... I would laugh when I would see buses stop dead (or already parked) at the Houston/Varick  stop, on layover....

Now that the (Q) runs to the UES, I'd want no part of the Brighton during the AM rush.... It eventually got to a point where I started taking the downtown express BM1 or 2 to the M20 because I was so fed up with trying to sardine onto the (B).... Reason I started taking the B more  was because I eventually got sick of the constant stalling at President, at Clark, and for whatever reason, the (2) pulling into chambers when a (1) just left - almost like it was being done on purpose.... If you were in the subway car I was in a lot of those times, F bombs were dropping a-plenty (sad part is, it wasn't just by me either).....

You peruse forums like this & local newspapers where folks are professing the declination of quality of service on the subway (which is seldom ever talk about by the MTA) through their own individual commutes & you say to yourself, all these people can not be damn lying..... The MTA can get away with spewing this turgid garbage because they know full well how subway dependent people are in this city!

It is not that subway service has gotten better... It is that bus service has gotten that much worse over the years.

If you ask me, it's by design.

I would say that a lot of people got fed up with the (MTA) after the last hike (not the most recent one) and it started back then. I've considered a membership myself, but since I can walk to most places and the docking set up with Citibikes sucks royally, for now I don't bother, but from what I've heard, competition is on the way, and docking is supposed to be a breeze.

I would say that a lot of people got fed up with the (MTA) after the last hike (not the most recent one) and it started back then. I've considered a membership myself, but since I can walk to most places and the docking set up with Citibikes sucks royally, for now I don't bother, but from what I've heard, competition is on the way, and docking is supposed to be a breeze.

MTA as a whole, well yeah - When you're paying more for less (quality, and quantity in some cases), people are going to get fed up... It's only natural.

Ever since I jacked up my Achilles riding a bike & stupidly playing 'ball (basketball) right afterwards, the last thing I'm thinking about is getting around on a bicycle... I am (and have always been, before the fact) much more comfortable walking... Bicyclists in this city ride like madmen/women & exude this attitude of immunity, and I want no part of being caught up in that.....

From what I've heard about said competitors to Citibike (Spin, MoBike, and a couple others that's not hitting me at the moment), not only is docking going to be a breeze, there isn't going to be any docking!

MTA as a whole, well yeah - When you're paying more for less (quality, and quantity in some cases), people are going to get fed up... It's only natural.

Ever since I jacked up my Achilles riding a bike & stupidly playing 'ball (basketball) right afterwards, the last thing I'm thinking about is getting around on a bicycle... I am (and have always been, before the fact) much more comfortable walking... Bicyclists in this city ride like madmen/women & exude this attitude of immunity, and I want no part of being caught up in that.....

From what I've heard about said competitors to Citibike (Spin, MoBike, and a couple others that's not hitting me at the moment), not only is docking going to be a breeze, there isn't going to be any docking!

Yes. Basically you can "dock" anywhere.

Archived