Zipping Across 79th Street?

BrooklynBus

They are slow but also save the least amount of time with SBS. The crosstowns were chosen because they are the easiest and cheapest to implement and because de Blasio wants DOT to meet his goal of 20 SBS routes before reflection.

Fat chance. They are still running 40 footers on the M79 (saw one the other day), so MJQ is clearly short on buses. Getting 20 sbs routes in place when depots don't even have enough fleet available seems next to impossible.

Fat chance. They are still running 40 footers on the M79 (saw one the other day), so MJQ is clearly short on buses. Getting 20 sbs routes in place when depots don't even have enough fleet available seems next to impossible.

.... Also 40 footers on the M14A and M14D.

They can run SBS with 40 footers.

They can but it's a mess. You should've seen how packed those M34 buses were with 40 footers. Very uncomfortable... Getting off and on slows down considerably with just the two doors. Having that third door makes a HUGE difference. Passengers can board using the first two doors and people can get off with the last one (and they often work just like that). 

They can but it's a mess. You should've seen how packed those M34 buses were with 40 footers. Very uncomfortable... Getting off and on slows down considerably with just the two doors. Having that third door makes a HUGE difference. Passengers can board using the first two doors and people can get off with the last one (and they often work just like that).

Didn't say all routes would operate well with 40 footers. The Woodhaven routes really only need them in the summer and maybe for the rush hour. Certainly not 24/7 because they cost more to operate. On it last weekend. Only had ten passengers on the bus.

The B44 local still has 40 footers although the patronage is equal to the SBS. So does that make sense?

Didn't say all routes would operate well with 40 footers. The Woodhaven routes really only need them in the summer and maybe for the rush hour. Certainly not 24/7 because they cost more to operate. On it last weekend. Only had ten passengers on the bus.

The B44 local still has 40 footers although the patronage is equal to the SBS. So does that make sense?

You were on it one weekend. I've been over there for numerous weekends, and have seen the back up of passengers. The big stops tend to be Woodhaven Blvd and Jamaica and Woodhaven Blvd and Metropolitan Avenue.  The other thing is that passengers tend to gravitate more to routes with the articulated buses.  Why?  More room.  Those damn 40 footers are too small and cramped and it's another reason people are ditching buses.  On the subway you can stand in peace.  You can't do that on a bus unless its an articulated bus. I sure as heck avoid certain lines for that reason unless I can see that the bus isn't too crowded.

I agree with VG8 on this one. The Q53 is crowded every day, and at almost every time of every day (I don't know about late night patterns), but buses get crowded well into the evening no matter what day it is. The only time you're not seeing crowded buses is during the late evening going to the subway, or the late morning on weekends from the subway. Even then, those buses are SRO or have a few standees. The local buses also get full, despite the headway, however not as much. The Q52 is often SRO, and packed during the rush.

I agree with VG8 on this one. The Q53 is crowded every day, and at almost every time of every day (I don't know about late night patterns), but buses get crowded well into the evening no matter what day it is. The only time you're not seeing crowded buses is during the late evening going to the subway, or the late morning on weekends from the subway. Even then, those buses are SRO or have a few standees. The local buses also get full, despite the headway, however not as much. The Q52 is often SRO, and packed during the rush.

The other thing that isn't clear is where he gets the bus or where he sees the bus because that can also make a difference.  One thing that they do a lot is have buses deadhead up Woodhaven and start at say Jamaica Avenue because some buses get slammed, so him seeing 10 riders isn't indicative of anything.  I still think that he's trying to understate how many riders use the local buses along Woodhaven.  Either that or he is seriously misinformed.

I was only talking about the Q52 and Q53. I drive so. Woodhaven about every other weekend from the Belt to Queens Blvd. I never pass mire than three or four buses including locals. I see about six in the opposite direction (included not in se vice buses) which first of all seems like way to few buses. All but see I see except in the summer gave seated loads. I do sometimes see large crowds at Jamaica and Liberty with anxious people like there hasn't been a bus in a half hour. After I pass them, I can go three miles or so without seeing a bus.

If anyone thinks articulated buses will mean more frequent service, you are fooling yourself because it will only mean a cut in service since they use bus crowding to determine service levels.

I was only talking about the Q52 and Q53. I drive so. Woodhaven about every other weekend from the Belt to Queens Blvd. I never pass mire than three or four buses including locals. I see about six in the opposite direction (included not in se vice buses) which first of all seems like way to few buses. All but see I see except in the summer gave seated loads. I do sometimes see large crowds at Jamaica and Liberty with anxious people like there hasn't been a bus in a half hour. After I pass them, I can go three miles or so without seeing a bus.

If anyone thinks articulated buses will mean more frequent service, you are fooling yourself because it will only mean a cut in service since they use bus crowding to determine service levels.

That's not the point though.  The 40 footers simply don't cut it service wise, because if it did they wouldn't constantly have other buses dead heading to address the overcrowding.  And we're also talking about the Q52 and Q53... I think it's funny when people assume that a bus doesn't get much patronage and they only see it when driving or a part of the route.  The only way to really know is to actually use the service.  Some portions of the route are heavier than others.  Doesn't mean there isn't usage though.  I could say the same thing for a quite few other routes.  

That's not the point though.  The 40 footers simply don't cut it service wise, because if it did they wouldn't constantly have other buses dead heading to address the overcrowding.  And we're also talking about the Q52 and Q53... I think it's funny when people assume that a bus doesn't get much patronage and they only see it when driving or a part of the route.  The only way to really know is to actually use the service.  Some portions of the route are heavier than others.  Doesn't mean there isn't usage though.  I could say the same thing for a quite few other routes.

From the Belt to Queens Blvd is the heart of the route. I know in rush hours and in the summer it gets very crowded. I was talking about other times when I haven't seen it heavily utilized unless the bus is very late.

As far as 40 footers, why did they start the B46 SBS without any artics? I asked them why they just didn't wait until they had buses that were available before beginning the service, but they never answered. That route should get the new artics first before they put them on new routes. The fact that they keep adding SBS routes when they don't have enough artics either proves they don't feel they are that necessary to run good service or that they just don't care if the service works or doesn't work.

From the Belt to Queens Blvd is the heart of the route. I know in rush hours and in the summer it gets very crowded. I was talking about other times when I haven't seen it heavily utilized unless the bus is very late.

As far as 40 footers, why did they start the B46 SBS without any artics? I asked them why they just didn't wait until they had buses that were available before beginning the service, but they never answered. That route should get the new artics first before they put them on new routes. The fact that they keep adding SBS routes when they don't have enough artics either proves they don't feel they are that necessary to run good service or that they just don't care if the service works or doesn't work.

I'm not sure.  Maybe they want to get the service up and running and worry about the buses later, but I agree.  Seems stupid to do that.

Archived