Problematic Film Crew Encounters on Location

RTSTdrive

Has anyone encountered any problems running into film crew while they were on location filming? To start, my firsthand account was yesterday while I was making my way through BK College to get to my classes. Trucks and tents for an outside (non-student) production called Red Liners took up one or both sides of Bedford Av disrupting traffic for both pedestrians and vehicles (It sure slowed my commute on the B6 and two others ahead of me to snail speeds!) Nevertheless, rightfully placed posters were put on sign posts, fences, and gates to notify that the typical side-parking area would be occupied by trucks days before.

The crew themselves were another story though. They have proven to be both an inconvenience and probably the rudest group of people I ever had the displeasure to meet. First and foremost they blocked the main entrances and at least one of two side entrances to two buildings (Ingersoll and Boylan Halls) while tents, wiring, crew, actors, and other equipment were sprawled across the quad walkways and grass, effectively 

Now understandably, having to film on location in a school with a large student body is quite the task and they wouldn't want students in their shots by accident. However, from the start, it came to the unnecessary point where crew had to personally get in the way of students and yell at them (including myself) to use an alternative entrance (in the case for classes in Ingersoll Hall, it had to be one other secondary entrance or the entrance to Ingersoll Extension...both of which were opposite of Bedford Av and nearer to Nostrand Av). One schoolmate i know recounted how a crew member literally yelled at his face "Do you even go here?" while blocking his way to the door while doing the same to others but from afar rather than in someone's personal space.

Tbh, production should've known better than to film on a day where it's guaranteed to have high traffic as it warrants the probability of students unintentionally milling around the equipment or shots confusingly (e.g. Fridays and the weekends would've been optimal). At the end of the day, complaints were filed to Student Affairs and the Production Location Manager was contacted. I hope this problem was addressed and help brought better communication between the production company and the college so as the next time they come by to shoot, campus notifies students via email to allow them to plan and adjust travel times accordingly while crew don't have such condescending and aggressive tones.

am i seeing your story right that the idiots had the nerve to physically block your friend?!

Yes that's exactly what they did! I'd rather have some tape put around the entrance area (with a printed sign saying "Film Shooting. Use side door. Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience") than have the crew take waste their time to actually block someone's most convenient path to their class.

Yes that's exactly what they did! I'd rather have some tape put around the entrance area (with a printed sign saying "Film Shooting. Use side door. Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience") than have the crew take waste their time to actually block someone's most convenient path to their class.

if that was me i would call the cops and press charges if they got physical, and the fact they the film crew actually had the nerve to question your friend "do you even go here?" that would have got me heated and from what i see student affairs got blasted with complaints 

if that was me i would call the cops and press charges if they got physical, and the fact they the film crew actually had the nerve to question your friend "do you even go here?" that would have got me heated and from what i see student affairs got blasted with complaints

Honestly the nerve of some people. Student affairs very likely had a field day with their phone calls yesterday. This topic was taken to a student run group page and according to another student, she had asked what was going on and one man from the crew said to her and her coworkers/classmates "There was a bomb threat" to which she said that's not something you joke around about. Absolutely disgusting.

Honestly the nerve of some people. Student affairs very likely had a field day with their phone calls yesterday. This topic was taken to a student run group page and according to another student, she had asked what was going on and one man from the crew said to her and her coworkers/classmates "There was a bomb threat" to which she said that's not something you joke around about. Absolutely disgusting.

the filmcrew said there was a bomb threat?! im suprised they were not banged into the cops for that.

The last couple of weeks there have been postings on the MTA website about expect delays on the B/6 & B/11 from Bay Parkway (or Coney Island Avenue) on Avenue J to Glenwood Road/Flatbush Avenue. I thought that it had to do with the shopping for Passover on Avenue J and i could not figure out why it was extended all the way to Flatbush Avenue.

This is another one of those situations where I ask that proverbial question as to who came up  the bright idea to allow a film crew to do filming during the peak times during the school semester? Who approved this outrage and on what level and didn't anyone look at the school calendar for dates when the students are off? I hate to say this but actions like this that work against the community (in this case the students) are becoming commonplace as the bureaucrats become more entrenched in all levels of government and they become totally detached from the real world where the rest of us live every day. My guess is that the person who authorized this fiasco is about ready to be promoted to a higher level position for doing such a good job in causing this chaos but at least someone is getting paid for the filming. 

Archived