TWU local 100A? Workers from ATU Local 1181 want it.

Union Tpke

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/mta-bus-depot-staffers-move-ditch-union-create-new-article-1.3016025MTA bus depot workers who haven’t had a new contract since 2012 are looking to break away from their old union and form one of their own, the Daily News has learned.

The 260 workers who run the Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s Spring Creek depot filed paperwork with state officials last week to sever their relationship with Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1181.

In paperwork obtained by The News, the workers said they had decertification cards signed by more than half of the employees.

The bus workers seek to form their own independent union and represent themselves, the paperwork said.

“They’ve chosen to join Transit Workers United Local 100A,” said their lawyer Stuart Salles.

“It’s the members themselves that decided to do it and I wish them luck,” he said.

Salles said the depot workers — who range from operators to cleaners to mechanics — are still working under 2012 wages and pension agreements.

“There’s been no contract talks, no attempts to negotiate with the MTA on their behalf from the ATU union, and they’re suffering,” Salles said.

By contrast, MTA workers repped by other unions have gotten two new contracts, Salles said.

Attempts to reach ATU Local 1181 for comment were unsuccessful.

wow! i knew that union screwed them over with the part time stuff

Yeah. Good for them. I'm pretty sure that part-time stuff caused them to lose morale, which is reflected on how service operates out of that depot, specifically the express buses. They have also messed up those express bus schedules so much over the years that it's appalling.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/mta-bus-depot-staffers-move-ditch-union-create-new-article-1.3016025MTA bus depot workers who haven’t had a new contract since 2012 are looking to break away from their old union and form one of their own, the Daily News has learned.

The 260 workers who run the Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s Spring Creek depot filed paperwork with state officials last week to sever their relationship with Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1181.

In paperwork obtained by The News, the workers said they had decertification cards signed by more than half of the employees.

The bus workers seek to form their own independent union and represent themselves, the paperwork said.

“They’ve chosen to join Transit Workers United Local 100A,” said their lawyer Stuart Salles.

“It’s the members themselves that decided to do it and I wish them luck,” he said.

Salles said the depot workers — who range from operators to cleaners to mechanics — are still working under 2012 wages and pension agreements.

“There’s been no contract talks, no attempts to negotiate with the MTA on their behalf from the ATU union, and they’re suffering,” Salles said.

By contrast, MTA workers repped by other unions have gotten two new contracts, Salles said.

Attempts to reach ATU Local 1181 for comment were unsuccessful.

Never knew there was an Local 100A. However, I applaud the workers at Spring Creek taking the first step to get out the ATU 1181 union. With everything going up these workers deserve an decent wage to meet the demands of this city. Hopefully, things get better at SC and they are apart of the family at TWU Local 100A.

hopefully that might mean the part time B/O crap might be on it's last legs

I doubt it. Most of the service they provide is via the express bus, and they have really destroyed service. There's tons of missing trips and late buses on Saturdays. Drivers don't even try anymore, so where are they supposed to get more runs from? The B100 and B103 won't do it. On the BM3, we had Saturday service until 22:20 to Manhattan. Once they agreed to that part-time crap, the (MTA) turned around and started chopping away service. They cut service to Manhattan by a good 7 trips on the BM1, 2 and 3, and then started cutting service to Brooklyn. They also cut trips during the week on each line. No line has been spared, even the BM4 and BM5, so we now have five express bus lines with anemic ridership. To get any service it will take a slew of petitions and the union, which I don't see happening. Unlike the X27 and X28, the BM buses don't have nearly the same kind of usage.

• 10 months later...

Update: Spring Creek depot conducted a ballot asking all operators and personnel if they wanted to stay with ATU 1181 or create a new contract with the TWU under the specially created TWU Local 100A designation. There was a near unanimously decision to move over to TWU, leaving Far Rockaway and JFK as the only remaining ATU Bus Company depots. NYCT Queens and Staten Island Divisions are also members of the ATU. 

For those that didn’t know, Spring Creek as a whole was unhappy with the representation they were receiving from ATU 1181. For many administrative reasons it is not easy to just switch from one Union to another. In this case 100A was created for the sole purposes of moving SC over to TWU in a much easier way, while providing the same TWU representation as many other depots.  

I am being told the contract and agreement have provisions for Spring Creek to move over to full TWU 100 after a specified times. Congrats to Speing Creek for standing up for what the want. I can only wonder if this will start a trend, or end here.

On 4/2/2017 at 4:55 PM, BreeddekalbL said:

im not familiar with the labor rules can't they just join the fold of the current twu 100 and other atu unions on mta property or no?

Nope. Aside from admin rules - like pensions and retiree benefits, you have the seniority issue that has to be resolved. Why should someone who worked 20 years in the dissolving union be below an employee who worked in the surviving union for 5 years, and in another scenario, why should the latter have his/her seniority number go lower because someone in the dissolving union also worked for 5 years but has a last name closer to "AA" in the alphabet than s/he?

My SEIU union went through this in 2004-05 when the Southern California local joined my NorCal union to create SEIU-UHW. I don't remember if it was resolved before I left in 2009.

50 minutes ago, East New York said:

Update: Spring Creek depot conducted a ballot asking all operators and personnel if they wanted to stay with ATU 1181 or create a new contract with the TWU under the specially created TWU Local 100A designation. There was a near unanimously decision to move over to TWU, leaving Far Rockaway and JFK as the only remaining ATU Bus Company depots. NYCT Queens and Staten Island Divisions are also members of the ATU. 

For those that didn’t know, Sprink Creek as a whole was unhappy with the representation they were receiving from ATU 1181. For many administrative reasons it is not easy to just switch from one Union to another. In this case 100A was created for the sole purposes of moving SC over to TWU in a much easier way, while providing the same TWU representation as many other depots.  

I am being told the contract and agreement have provisions for Spring Creek to move over to full TWU 100 after a specified times. Congrats to Speing Creek for standing up for what the want. I can only wonder if this will start a trend, or end here.

To my knowledge, JFK & Far Rock personnel have been paying close attention to these developments, as they look to eventually propose a move from ATU1179 to TWU. quite a few operators I've spoken to out of Far Rock (specifically, Q41 operators) can confirm the desire to follow Spring Creek's lead.

11 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

To my knowledge, JFK & Far Rock personnel have been paying close attention to these developments, as they look to eventually propose a move from ATU1179 to TWU. quite a few operators I've spoken to out of Far Rock (specifically, Q41 operators) can confirm the desire to follow Spring Creek's lead.

Any reason why they prefer TWU and not ATU Local 1056 (which already has a strong presence in Queens)? 

13 hours ago, East New York said:

For those that didn’t know, Sprink Creek as a whole was unhappy with the representation they were receiving from ATU 1181. For many administrative reasons it is not easy to just switch from one Union to another. In this case 100A was created for the sole purposes of moving SC over to TWU in a much easier way, while providing the same TWU representation as many other depots.  

I am being told the contract and agreement have provisions for Spring Creek to move over to full TWU 100 after a specified times. Congrats to Spring Creek for standing up for what the want. I can only wonder if this will start a trend, or end here.

Definitely official. Congratulations to Spring Creek on an unanimous vote to go TWU local 100.

Hopefully, more work can come into Spring Creek in regards to express bus service. Although Spring Creek isn't Eastchester, Yonkers and College Point. Spring Creek does carry a fair share amount of commuters on the BM1-BM5, most of their work is mostly on the BM1 and BM3. (Just through my observation), But all routes do carry a fair share.

Hopefully JFK and Far Rockaway can follow suit and see what Spring Creek did.

5 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Any reason why they prefer TWU and not ATU Local 1056 (which already has a strong presence in Queens)? 

Most DOB personnel prefer TWU because of the (perceived) strong(er) presence TWU has citywide. ATU1056 is strong within the 3 depots they have... And they aren't in the market to increase their workforce. They, along with Staten Island's ATU726, enjoy being to themselves, historically. They believe that a large workforce equates to less work to go around, division-wide. 

On 3/3/2018 at 12:01 PM, Gotham Bus Co. said:

In addition to what Larry said above, Spring Creek employees were fed up with the lack of representation and lack of professionalism throughout ATU 1181. A story I know personally and the things I have heard from 2 good old friends of mine who work at SC showed they needed to kick ATU out. 

I'm really glad it finally happened.

On 3/9/2018 at 3:42 AM, East New York said:

In addition to what Larry said above, Spring Creek employees were fed up with the lack of representation and lack of professionalism throughout ATU 1181. A story I know personally and the things I have heard from 2 good old friends of mine who work at SC showed they needed to kick ATU out. 

I'm really glad it finally happened.

As am i. That part-time b/o crap set a bad precedence for labor/union negotiations. By eliminating ATU1181's utter ineptitude, this throws a daisy cutter into the snake pit. What i love about this move, is the provision to eventually join the rest of Local 100. This gives local 100 time to negotiating the removal of the part-time hiring clause from that god awful "contract".  

On 3/3/2018 at 12:56 PM, Future ENY OP said:

Definitely official. Congratulations to Spring Creek on an unanimous vote to go TWU local 100.

Hopefully, more work can come into Spring Creek in regards to express bus service. Although Spring Creek isn't Eastchester, Yonkers and College Point. Spring Creek does carry a fair share amount of commuters on the BM1-BM5, most of their work is mostly on the BM1 and BM3. (Just through my observation), But all routes do carry a fair share.

Hopefully JFK and Far Rockaway can follow suit and see what Spring Creek did.

Last Saturday my BM3 bus had about 15 people on it.  I was shocked. I haven't seen that many people on a Saturday BM3 in I don't know when. Either way service has been a bit better, but I can only hope it improves.  I want to see Saturday service expanded and trips added something that I've requested numerous times, but it's hard to justify expanding it with the anemic numbers previously, in part due to horrendous service.

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Last Saturday my BM3 bus had about 15 people on it.  I was shocked. I haven't seen that many people on a Saturday BM3 in I don't know when. Either way service has been a bit better, but I can only hope it improves.  I want to see Saturday service expanded and trips added something that I've requested numerous times, but it's hard to justify expanding it with the anemic numbers previously, in part due to horrendous service.

faith in your union representation can do wonders for morale 😂

Just now, EastFlatbushLarry said:

faith in your union representation can do wonders for morale 😂

Well I brought up this issue in a separate thread.  So many new luxury buildings coming on line that sooner or later I thought people had to start using the line.  The bus made stops to and from that it rarely makes stops for so that's a good thing.

Apologize in advance for steering the topic off course for a bit but since you guys were talking about Unions I was just curious About how the Union works up north..I’m part of the ATU LOCAL 0732 (Located in Atlanta Georgia) does that mean anything or hold any merit coming in as a new hire for MaBstoa?...also can I transfer my pension and retirement funds from the old transit system I was working for or I would have to cash out and pay the early penalty fee?

I am not at all familiar with the history of the various union's representing the MTA bus divisions....

So am curious as to why when the MTA took over other "properties", the newly acquired ones weren't folded into the existing MTA's union?   Isn't that usually the case in merger's and acquisition's?    As to seniority issues, there are various ways to negotiate that, when one property is much larger than the other, thru "dovetailing' at an equitable ratio determined by various factor's, that may include total number, as well as average length of service, etc.....

I welcome any comments that include a 'capsule history' of the MTA bus unions....both NYCT as well as MTA Bus....

Thanks....

On 3/15/2018 at 6:04 PM, Mr Marta said:

Apologize in advance for steering the topic off course for a bit but since you guys were talking about Unions I was just curious About how the Union works up north..I’m part of the ATU LOCAL 0732 (Located in Atlanta Georgia) does that mean anything or hold any merit coming in as a new hire for MaBstoa?...also can I transfer my pension and retirement funds from the old transit system I was working for or I would have to cash out and pay the early penalty fee?

Typically, the union you're in isn't ATU, it's Local 732, and Local 732 is controlled or affiliated with ATU. So your contract and benefits wouldn't transfer if they're administered specifically by Local 732.

If they're run by ATU and not Local 732, then it's possible they'll continue insofar as your eligibility under the affiliated MaBSTOA union will count towards whatever service requirements to be eligible to use (but not accrue more funds) on the pension. Meaning, if you're leaving MARTA with 12 years of service but you need 15 to get the pension MARTA drivers get, ATU under MaBSTOA could count your time with MaBSTOA up to that 3 years to make you eligible to get the pension, but it wouldn't increase your payout since MaBSTOA's ATU Local wouldn't be contributing to Local 732's pension fund.

Make sense?

1 hour ago, Mr Marta said:

Understood thank you for that information 

Your contract book should have some language in there about how union reciprocity works - especially if there's transferring or moonlighting occurring between MARTA and CCT (I remember a bit of that being done when I lived in West End in '98-'99 - back when the roads were Ashby and Fair Streets, and not whatever they've been renamed to now). If not, don't ask your local union rep because s/he won't know, but the person or team who attend the ATU conferences would.

You wouldn't keep your seniority number switching from the Local to MaBSTOA - you'll be at the bottom. It's why you don't normally see drivers jumping from one big TA to another - usually it's from a small one to a big one, or from the big TA to Amtrak or a management role elsewhere.

Archived