New Jersey Transit Rail commuters delayed due to yet another derailment in NY Penn Station

46Dover

I just saw this in the news..... this is getting out of hand. We NEED firm leadership at Amtrak, in fact that whole organization needs to be restructured because something is terribly wrong for derailments to happen twice. This is absolutely UNACCEPTABLE. End of story.

I heard on my radio from my dispatcher while I was inbound on the bus lane saying we were cross honoring. I was like Let me guess...another train derailment?

I've come to expect these things to happen more often than not

I just saw this in the news..... this is getting out of hand. We NEED firm leadership at Amtrak, in fact that whole organization needs to be restructured because something is terribly wrong for derailments to happen twice. This is absolutely UNACCEPTABLE. End of story.

Not just twice, but twice in the span of less than two weeks. What are those tracks made out of, plywood? As owner and operator of Penn Station and the tracks the trains run across, Amtrak needs to, at the very least, ensure that trains can travel at slow speeds and not jump the tracks.

What a mess. So a NJ Transit train derails (yet again), and that delays Amtrak AND LIRR service?  Ridiculous.

Tis the breaks when the Long Island Railroad has no real stake in the station. I imagine LIRR customers are getting annoyed after getting shafted with limited service due to the bumbling antics of NJ Transit and Amtrak.

Amtrak manages to keep things moving smoothly like nothing happened. They have priority over NJ transit simply cuz they own NYPS tracks and maintain infrastructure, meanwhile NJ transit commuters have to take several buses to get home. It's unfair and pretty sure NJ transit carries more ppl out of Penn.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

As disgusting as this might sound, when the LIRR train I got off earlier ended at Jamaica (even though the destination sign still read Penn Station - which had people waiting @ Jamaica & coming off the Atlantic Term. train I eventually boarded, attempting to board said train), I said to myself "What train derailed now"....

That should never be a thing.... Turns out I was right, unfortunately

(I had my headphones on the whole time, listening to fat boy [Mike Francesa], so I wasn't paying attention to any announcements)

Yup; I got caught in this coming home from work today; I just said f**k it and caught the 108 into NYC. Just out of curiosity, how does this keep happening?

Neglect. Everyone seems to want a bunch of tanks and jets with cool noises and buttons and make things go boom, but don't seem to care as much when bridges are collapsing and trains are derailing. Thankfully no one was killed in this and the last derailment, but sadly it's only a matter of time until we have another Spuyten Duyvil or Frankford Junction incident. 

As disgusting as this might sound, when the LIRR train I got off earlier ended at Jamaica (even though the destination sign still read Penn Station - which had people waiting @ Jamaica & coming off the Atlantic Term. train I eventually boarded, attempting to board said train), I said to myself "What train derailed now"....

That should never be a thing.... Turns out I was right, unfortunately

(I had my headphones on the whole time, listening to fat boy [Mike Francesa], so I wasn't paying attention to any announcements)

It really shouldn't. There shouldn't be two separate incidents of trains derailing in the same place. It makes you wonder whether whoever repaired that section of track did it properly, or whether them fixing it made a difference. 

What a mess. So a NJ Transit train derails (yet again), and that delays Amtrak AND LIRR service?  Ridiculous.

That's kind of inevitable when you have all three of them down there in Penn Station and both NJT and LIRR sharing the tubes with Amtrak. 

I wonder why my 108 was so packed at Noon, it's never that packed their were standees. On my way home I caught the 10:20 pm Long Branch at 11:00 pm .We did not leave until 11:10 pm from Track 14 you could smell the burned metal on the mezzanine. As we left you could still see the train on Track 9 with a Amtrak Engine coupled to it, But only 3 cars. The other 3 were detacted and hooked to another Amtrak Engine I assume there only using one tube until that train can be moved.

This is ridiculous. I can't even call them accidents anymore because of the willful neglect. I was scheduled to be on a Regional when the first one happened and I was lucky I had to cancel, even though that train only got hit about 20-30 minutes. But repeat occurrences are absolutely unforgivable. Our domestic policy consists of fighting BS culture wars while people can't even feel confident about how they get into work every day. If Joe Biden was still in office, he'd pitch a fit over this. Someone on any level of government needs to. It's officially out of hand now.

To update this story, it appears that one-third of the tracks at Penn Station are out of service indefinitely because of yesterday's derailment. That means NJ Transit rail service and by extension LIRR service, will be modified to compensate.

More info: Source

To update this story, it appears that one-third of the tracks at Penn Station are out of service indefinitely because of yesterday's derailment. That means NJ Transit rail service and by extension LIRR service, will be modified to compensate.

That means the subways will be a mess.  Thanks for the update.  I have a meeting Downtown and will take the subway there (assuming it's running and not packed to the rafters) and a taxi back.

Oh boy. Port Authority is gonna be a mess tonight. My 135 was crowded this morning, I guess I can expect the same thing heading home tonight.

Yeah. Lakeland better batten down the hatches too. Lots of Midtown Directers coming our way. Ironic since those MD trains took our people are now going back to Hoboken and we have all the New York folks again (albeit with only half the manpower/equipment)....

Are tons of people transferring at Newark Penn?

I would assume so. I took the PATH yesterday and usually the 33rd-Hoboken trains have a decent amount of standing room (the JSQ trains less so, but still a decent amount), but my train was jam-packed. I assume a lot of them were trying to catch trains at Hoboken directly (who would've normally transferred at Secaucus). I guess some of the JSQ passengers were trying to get to Newark for the trains there.

When returning from Hoboken, I met a woman who was going to Kearny who normally takes the train to Newark Broad Street and then takes the #76. (She accidentally got on the 33rd-Hoboken train instead of the 33rd-JSQ train). When she got on my HOB-WTC train (to take it to Exchange Place to head to Newark Penn for the #76), I suggested she look into the #99 bus on Kearny Avenue directly to the PABT. I also told her about the NJT Bus Tracker website (so she can track what time the #40 is leaving from Harrison while she's on the PATH).

I would assume so. I took the PATH yesterday and usually the 33rd-Hoboken trains have a decent amount of standing room (the JSQ trains less so, but still a decent amount), but my train was jam-packed. I assume a lot of them were trying to catch trains at Hoboken directly (who would've normally transferred at Secaucus). I guess some of the JSQ passengers were trying to get to Newark for the trains there.

When returning from Hoboken, I met a woman who was going to Kearny who normally takes the train to Newark Broad Street and then takes the #76. (She accidentally got on the 33rd-Hoboken train instead of the 33rd-JSQ train). When she got on my HOB-WTC train (to take it to Exchange Place to head to Newark Penn for the #76), I suggested she look into the #99 bus on Kearny Avenue directly to the PABT. I also told her about the NJT Bus Tracker website (so she can track what time the #40 is leaving from Harrison while she's on the PATH).

Bus tracker (and bustime) is very useful. Even late buses aren't as bad. If I want to catch a bus and the next one is in 20 mins because of delays I can take my time getting to the bus stop.

I can't imagine how bad it was for passengers trying to get on the 33rd Street line south of 33rd Street. Was WTC more packed also? I know a lot of people take the subway to Penn Station, I'd probably just go to WTC to try to avoid the Midtown craziness. 

Bus tracker (and bustime) is very useful. Even late buses aren't as bad. If I want to catch a bus and the next one is in 20 mins because of delays I can take my time getting to the bus stop.

I can't imagine how bad it was for passengers trying to get on the 33rd Street line south of 33rd Street. Was WTC more packed also? I know a lot of people take the subway to Penn Station, I'd probably just go to WTC to try to avoid the Midtown craziness. 

My friend and I got on at 9th Street and barely managed to squeeze on the first train. At Christopher Street, there was basically no more room (at least in our car which was the last one). 

When I returned to the WTC in the evening, it seemed like it had its relatively normal levels of crowding (not sure of how it was at the height of rush hour. I wasn't really paying attention to whatever WTC-HOB trains had recently discharged, but all I know is Hoboken was more crowded than usual). But yeah, if I had heard about the incident and was already on the NYC subway, I would probably just stay on until I reached the WTC as well.

But FWIW, I hadn't heard about the incident until on my way back, when I talked to the woman from Kearny. I just thought there was a little delay earlier or something.

And I definitely agree about the bus tracking.

I had a feeling the X17J was going to be messed up because of traffic at the Lincoln Tunnel and I was right. While waiting for the X17C I checked the X17J and saw the last buses of the morning were 20 and 40 mins late, and usually they run like clockwork. I feel bad for the NJT commuters who had to deal with it.

Yea this derailment could've definitely happened to any other train. Just unlucky that it was NJTransit, Amtrak could've derailed and there wouldn't have been any public statement from NJtransit. This incident just dragged Njtransit into an even bigger hole.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Archived