MTA Bus Exams 7300 & 9309

SevenEleven
Message added by +Young+

Here is the latest Notice of Examination for the part-time position for informational purposes.

Good luck and don't forget to check those mirrors every 3 to 5 seconds!

Notice of Examination (NOE): Here

Filing Period: April 7th 2017 - April 25th 2017

Application Fee: $61

Selection Process: Bus Operator Selection Survey (BOSS)

Civil Service: No

The next filing period for the Bus Operator position for MTA Bus Company (that's the ex-private lines) is open until the end of the month. This differs from the Part Time Bus Operator application (Exam 7304) in regards to the work locations available to you (All MTA Bus Company garages except Spring Creek). Starting rate is $20.9675 per hour.

Upon close of the filing period, applicants will be mailed an initial letter with a random list number. You will be called in list number order to take the BOSS exam. Upon successful completion of the BOSS exam, you will be called to 180 Livingston to begin the pre-employment process and move towards being hired and assigned to a training class. (In a nutshell)

Edited by +Young+
Removed "Click To Apply" Link

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I have a question, was it a waste of money applying for the part time? Because I applied for part time and this one. Also, another question, with the random list number, your only giving one list number? Meaning, that the list the number is the same for the boss exam and waiting period after exam? And one more question, since I applied for both, that will be two different list numbers right? And let's say part time calls first and I accept it, and then I happen to get a low list number for the full time, can I transfer over?

Thank you in advance

It wouldn't say it's a waste of time. You may get a super high list # for the part time position and a low # for this one. You're only going to get one list # per exam, which will dictate the order in which all candidates will be called to take the BOSS exam. The list # will be the same and it is going to the one you carry from when you receive it until you pick depots (for the full time position only).

If you start as PT, you can always transfer over to FT. I don't know exactly how that works but it will be explained to you if and when the time arises.

So I have a question, was it a waste of money applying for the part time? Because I applied for part time and this one. Also, another question, with the random list number, your only giving one list number? Meaning, that the list the number is the same for the boss exam and waiting period after exam? And one more question, since I applied for both, that will be two different list numbers right? And let's say part time calls first and I accept it, and then I happen to get a low list number for the full time, can I transfer over?

Thank you in advance

Might be a waste. You will be part time @ Spring Creek Depot in Brooklyn. I'm unaware of the process to become FT once hired as PT. Yes you will be given a random list number that you can't control. It'll be based on pure luck. The Boss is something else entirely. It's that generic agree disagree questionnaire all jobs give these days.

I must make this absolutely clear. To you and everyone else who reads this if you are willing to get into the MTA by accepting the position of Bus Operator. Be aware that there are 3 different bus divisions under the MTA logo. MTA bus (one that's open this month) NYC Transit bus (next month) and Mabstoa (month after) Depending on which one hires you your choice of which boros and depots you can work at may be limited. If you read thru the 2613 BO forum or simply wiki MTA bus it'll give more detail.

I highly recommend that you and everyone else interested in the position file for and take the Bus Operator that comes out next month. It'll be the standard city written test affair, where you can control your "fate" on the list based on how well you tested. The other 2 is down to complete luck. Now if you talk to OA or MTA BOs they'll say "they get everything the TA gets" which for the most part is true salary, vacation, etc they do but don't fall for that. The most important difference is the pension only TA is in the NYCERS pension system be aware of this fact everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope someone can help me out. Tried to apply to this exam, filled out the form, once I got to the payment step, a new tab appeared with a "..ssl java cert.." error message. Tried to refresh etc but no luck. Btw I used a regular windows desktop with IE as was suggested by mta site. System doesn't allow me to apply again.

Should I go to Livingston st or can payment be handled by phone?

Would appreciate any tips.

It happens sometimes. Yu just have to wait a day or so then when you log back in, you should receive a prompt to pay for the test if you already applied. 

Hope someone can help me out. Tried to apply to this exam, filled out the form, once I got to the payment step, a new tab appeared with a "..ssl java cert.." error message. Tried to refresh etc but no luck. Btw I used a regular windows desktop with IE as was suggested by mta site. System doesn't allow me to apply again.

Should I go to Livingston st or can payment be handled by phone?

Would appreciate any tips.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone, this exam is about next 3 1/2 months and nobody has his/her list # ?, guys what is going on?

First of all, just like with the other exam-based positions for the MTA & DCAS, you have to be patient. Everything takes time and nothing happens overnight.

Eventually we will receive our list numbers and we will be invited to take the BOSS exam, wherever that may be, either at 180 Livingston Street or at a high school within the 4 boroughs (excluding Staten Island). You just need to have patience. I know it's hard, but in the end, it's worth it...

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, mine says 88.000...Does that seriously mean that I am random list number 88,000? I hope not because the letter also says something about the first 1,600 being scheduled approximately at this time and if you list number is higher than that then you will be scheduled in 2018. 

I mean...Really? 88,000!! 

Yep, I also received my letter today. Apparently I am random list number 88.000, not sure if that is good or bad, or somewhere in the middle  :P ..

I also got a letter in the mail, and my random number, according to the letter, is 2,433.000. Therefore, if we take away the three zeros, my number is 2,433.

IMHO, with a random list number of 88 (if you take the zeros away, since a "point" and a "comma" are not the same), you are in a very good spot because you'll be called down to Livingston Street shortly to begin the process.

In addition, do you plan on taking on Exam 7612 this October? The reason why I'm asking is because NYC Transit is the best out of all 3 bus companies, and once you complete your probationary year with MTA Bus Company, you don't have to do it again when switching over...

Good luck & keep us posted!!